Model 6 project updates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    Silly question but where's the pickup selector?

Looks great btw!
    from warlok's earlier post...
    Originally posted by warlok View Post
    Duncan distortion, duckbucker, little '59, rotary 5 way switch, push pull volume, switchcraft jack...
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      from warlok's earlier post...

I knew that...

Brain cramp today.
      -Rick

Comment

Wow, that turned out great! Excellent job. Wish I had the skills for doing stuff like that.

Comment

I wanted to post up some things I ran into while finishing that I wasn't quite as happy with. I'm not disappointed and completely love this guitar, but there's a few issues.
          The biggest one is the way the finish came out. I noticed not long after I was done painting that it seemed like there were some spots in the maple where the grain seemed to open up and the finish was sagging. It was all down one side of the front and looked like semi-shallow, small pits. I left it to see what happened, it didn't get worse but they were there. So after about a week and a half, I used a brush and dripped laquer into the pits to build up so I could sand smooth before final wetsanding. It didn't build up very well so now after the wetsanding, they are still visible if you look at the face of the guitar at an angle.
          Another problem is after sitting to cure for over 3 weeks, I pulled it out to start wetsanding and found 4 cracks in the finish. I have a feeling it was cause we had a bit of a cold snap as I started painting and going back and forth from the cold and warm. Not sure. But they are in inconspicuous enough spots that you can't see them unless you look for them.
          Now the buffing was another issue, mainly impatiance and arm pain... After about 4 hours of wetsanding, my arm was on fire but I still wanted to buff and polish. It was late and I only had Meguiars Swirl Remover and figured that after the 3000 grit it was shiny enough that I wouldn't need to the "fine cut", just the swirl remover. So I went at it with the buff ball in sections as to not over heat anything. I went over the whole guitar 5 times and still needs more buffing and swirl remover. I gave up and wanted to build the guitar. So at the first string change, I'll take everything out and buff and polish it correctly.
          Right now, I'm going to enjoy the guitar and play the holy hell out of it. The playability, look, and sound are fucking amazing!! Push/pull in and its a brutal monster. In and it's a perfect strat.
          Thanks for the kind comments.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Wow... what a beauty!
            Great job!
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Wow, great job and the photo's were really cool to watch the project unfold!
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I've been playing the holy hell out of it. Plays like a dream!! Now if I could only get my lazy ass away from the amp for a bit and get the back covers fitted.. Slightly too tight and it's starting to bug me looking at open cavities.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  I wanted to post up some things I ran into while finishing that I wasn't quite as happy with. I'm not disappointed and completely love this guitar, but there's a few issues.
                  The biggest one is the way the finish came out. I noticed not long after I was done painting that it seemed like there were some spots in the maple where the grain seemed to open up and the finish was sagging. It was all down one side of the front and looked like semi-shallow, small pits. I left it to see what happened, it didn't get worse but they were there. So after about a week and a half, I used a brush and dripped laquer into the pits to build up so I could sand smooth before final wetsanding. It didn't build up very well so now after the wetsanding, they are still visible if you look at the face of the guitar at an angle.
                  Another problem is after sitting to cure for over 3 weeks, I pulled it out to start wetsanding and found 4 cracks in the finish. I have a feeling it was cause we had a bit of a cold snap as I started painting and going back and forth from the cold and warm. Not sure. But they are in inconspicuous enough spots that you can't see them unless you look for them.
                  Now the buffing was another issue, mainly impatiance and arm pain... After about 4 hours of wetsanding, my arm was on fire but I still wanted to buff and polish. It was late and I only had Meguiars Swirl Remover and figured that after the 3000 grit it was shiny enough that I wouldn't need to the "fine cut", just the swirl remover. So I went at it with the buff ball in sections as to not over heat anything. I went over the whole guitar 5 times and still needs more buffing and swirl remover. I gave up and wanted to build the guitar. So at the first string change, I'll take everything out and buff and polish it correctly.
                  Right now, I'm going to enjoy the guitar and play the holy hell out of it. The playability, look, and sound are fucking amazing!! Push/pull in and its a brutal monster. In and it's a perfect strat.
                  Thanks for the kind comments.
                  First off, congrats on a great rebirth of your guitar. The problems you have with the finish are often times the results of the materials and the speed of which you apply them. These materials sold to the general public are great for those who are attempting finishing for the first time, but most experience the same issues you have seen.

Most of the problems you are experiencing are with your sealer coat. Vinyl and laquer based products will continue to dry and shrink back, even with tight grain stuff like Maple. Even when topcoating with Lacquer, I use polyester as the foundation. It is the only thing I have used that never drops back or shrinks or cracks. You dont need to use much.

Overall, consider it a learning experience. Certainly you have to pat your self on the back overall. Fantastic job.
                  Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                  http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Wow! Thanks Mike. That'll be very helpful as there's definitely going to be another project in the (hopefully not too far) future. I'm doing like you said and chalking it up to learning and am very happy with it as it does look pretty good and plays like a dream. I learned alot and the next will be more fun too!!

Comment

Working...
                    X