new to charvel....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to charvel....

i am a second generation charvel lover, and i have a few questions regarding te greatest guitar ever. my father told me that in 1986 the charvel was guitar of the year, is this true, and if so which model was it. I am in the market for a new charvel axe and was wondering what exactly is the difference between all the models? and if i were to find a 1986 charvel that i like how can i guarantee that i dont buy a counterfit axe?

I think I remember reading that the Model 4 won an award from Guitar Player Magazine in '86. That was the first year that Charvel became an import production brand, made in Japan. Prior to that, Charvels were custom-made in the USA, and there were no model designations. Don't worry about anybody faking an import Charvel. There is no money to be made doing that. The best way to compare all of the import models is to read through the catalog scans, starting with '86, here:

Here's an '86 ad for the Model 4 that has a reference to "Most Innovative Guitar of the Year", but the fine print is too small to see if it refers to the GP award:

Last edited by dg; 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM.

Comment

well what is the difference in the pre 86 charvels and the after? other then where it is made that is? is it different woods in the body or something?

Comment

Guitars built in the USA shop were hand-made one at a time using the best available materials & parts. They were either true custom orders by individuals or were built to certain specs for dealer stock. Most of them were strat shapes, but they built other shapes as well. They could have been made of any wood that the customer or dealer selected. For example, many were made with solid figured maple or other exotic wood bodies, birdseye or flame maple necks, etc. Others had elaborate custom graphic paintjobs. They were expensive, and were arguably the best guitars that you could buy at the time.

The import (Model Series) Charvels were mass-produced, and were made with cost-savings in mind. They were good quality, but not like the USA Charvels. The bolt-ons had basswood bodies, with a couple of exceptions: trans-finished Model 7 (ash), Model 88 (African ribbon mahogany). The neckthroughs were maple with poplar body wings.

This is just an overview. There is plenty more you can find here on the site or elsewhere.

Comment

in that case, what makes a charvel post 85 any better then a newer ibanez? the newer ibanez and the charvel seem to have the same equation as to body wood and neck as well. whats your opinion on this? and your opinion on bang for your buck on american charvel vs import

Comment

As far as Model Series vs. Ibanez, it's all about personal preferences & feel. I personally prefer the neck shape & the compound radius fretboard on the Model Series to most of the Ibanez necks I've played. You have to try one & see for yourself.

Bang for the buck is a tough one to answer. The current used prices on Model Series guitars make them one of the best playing guitars you can get for the price. Some people can't understand paying 4 to 10 times (or even more) as much for a collectible USA Charvel, and others can. Is it 4 to 10 times as good? Does it even work that way as you go up in price with guitars? Each person has to answer that for themself.

Comment

thanks for your input

Comment

Here's my Model 4.

The 86 had a Kahler trem and dot markers. The 87 & 88 models had a licensed Floyd and sharkies. I prefer the 86, obviously. But both are great guitars. I also have an Ibanez RG 770 DX which is very cool. Totally different guitars. The Model series were some fine guitars and hold up very well today. If you were going to get a modern Ibanez, I wouldn't get any model that's not made in Japan.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

OK..heres another dumb qestion for you guys... a buddy of mine was telling me about a charvette model made by charvel...does this exist? I am hooked on a charvel model four, adn have been looking for the right one, but what is the quality difference in the model fours and the charvette? if theres any difference

Comment

there were a bunch of different Charvette models. They were the entry level line. Try the search function - there has been quite a bit of discussion about them here.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      Here's my Model 4.

The 86 had a Kahler trem and dot markers. The 87 & 88 models had a licensed Floyd and sharkies. I prefer the 86, obviously. But both are great guitars. I also have an Ibanez RG 770 DX which is very cool. Totally different guitars. The Model series were some fine guitars and hold up very well today. If you were going to get a modern Ibanez, I wouldn't get any model that's not made in Japan.
                      Oh my god that is one sexy ass guitar.

Comment

ok this post has nothing to do with your question, but is your last name rhoades? cause randys last name is rhoads.......

Comment

Very sexy guitar above....thats the exact one im looking for. and no my name is not randy rhoades....its roger rhoades...i thank you guys for all your input and advice. sonce i found this site a week ago my wife has done nothing buy complain about how much i stay on it. this is a very helpful site thank you guys

Comment

btw my mom wouldnt let my dad name me randy...or i would be

Comment

Originally posted by rrhoades View Post
                              btw my mom wouldnt let my dad name me randy...or i would be

cool. yeah hope you didnt take offense or anything. just jokin around.

Comment

Working...
                              X