I want to completely upgrade my Charvel Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to completely upgrade my Charvel Model 1

There are several things I want to do to my Charvel Model 1, and for some of them I may need some help/suggestions.

- I want to get it refinished. Im not sure what color yet, but I hate red. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should look to get this done?

- I was thinking about getting something like an Earvana compensated nut. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade to get? are there better choices than the Earvana? Does anyone know which model/size I would need for my guitar (for the Earvana or any better suggestion)?

- Im stuck between Schaller Minis and Planet Waves auto-trim locking tuners. I am currently under the impression that they both drop right in (as long as for Planet waves I get a set of left and a set of right). Is this correct?

- Lastly Im thinking about getting a new bridge for it (the one on it doesnt appear to be in great shape). Are there any nice tremolo bridges that I could just drop in without any drilling etc? If Im going to have to drill anyway what are some nice ones to look at? I saw this on Warmoth: http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Wilkins...-P620C699.aspx is that any good?

I got the guitar for free years ago and lately Ive felt like using it so I thought I would make a project out of it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just my opinions:

Refinish - its going to cost you more to get a quality refin than the guitar is worth. If you really want the shiznit - check out Mike Learn. Lot's of guys on the forum have used him and have been very pleased.

Compensated nut - skip it.

New Bridge - even with locking tuners, if you use the vintage trem or a Gotoh or Wilkinson 2 point trem - you will go out of tune. That's the problem with the angled, tilt back headstock. If you want to whammy you really need to go full-bore Floyd (and then you won't need the locking tuners). A Floyd + install will probably cost more than the guitar is worth.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Sell it and buy the guitar you want already finished.

Comment

Resale aside, any auto repair shop should be able to refinish it.

A Graphtec nut will do fine, and locking tuners will keep it in tune as long as you don't work the bar too hard. Only a Floyd can do Floyd stuff.

As for the trem, I can't say. I never use non-locking trems.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Just my opinions:

...even with locking tuners, if you use the vintage trem or a Gotoh or Wilkinson 2 point trem - you will go out of tune. That's the problem with the angled, tilt back headstock. If you want to whammy you really need to go full-bore Floyd ...
          Very interesting! Can you please elaborate? Is there something inheritable wrong with angled headstock and non-locking trems? What about reverse vs normal headstocks, any advantages/disadvantages related to tuning stability?

Comment

Originally posted by DR5Guy View Post
            Is there something inheritable wrong with angled headstock and non-locking trems?
            Well its non locking so its not going to have the best tuning stability.

Comment

Originally posted by DR5Guy View Post
              Very interesting! Can you please elaborate? Is there something inheritable wrong with angled headstock and non-locking trems? What about reverse vs normal headstocks, any advantages/disadvantages related to tuning stability?
              Flat out - for the best tuning stability with a non-locking nut, you need straight string pull. Leo Fender knew this, EBMM knows this, PRS knows this. Droopy, angled headstocks exert pressures on the string from different directions, and not down against the nut. The strings are more likely to get bound up in the nut when you whammy. Try all the graphite and lube you want, its going to happen.

Look, that's not to say its not possible to return in-tune, its just not as easy and reliable as say, a strathead.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
              X