Pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup question

I've got a few guitars that I'm using JB's and SH2N's in and I've been noticing lately that even through a Triple Rec, the JB's are very thin and have little character to the low end (I don't really have any issues with the Jazz hums, though, they are great all around). I like the bite the JB's have, and they stay relatively clear at high volume and palm muted, but for a low growl they just don't cut it. I've been thinking about testing a pair of EMG's (81/85) in my KV1 to see what that might accomplish, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the world outside Seymour Duncan. I really don't do any lead work, so I want to get some pups good for a thick and heavy rhythm sound.

Re: Pickup question

EMG's are cool, but before going active, see if you can try a Duncan Screamin' Demon (TB/SH-12). It has that characteristic "growl" you speak of. Plenty of that "low end cabinet thunk" too. If you don't like that one, try the EMG's.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I've become less and less a fan of the JB as well - still can't believe they put it in the RR1 and not a Distortion.
      Speaking of that, I'd go with a Distortion. Same bite, more ass [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Or a Gibson 500T - same as a JB, but again, more ass [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Screamin Deamon was not a good mix with my guitars (or my fingers for that matter). I tried one a couple years back, but I chose the JB's instead. I prefer the Gibson to the Duncan distortion (the distortion had plenty of boom for me, but it got way too muddy). I went ahead and ordered the EMG 81/85 set, so I'm going to give those a go. I paid $139 inc shipping for them, and it includes everything (pots, wires, etc). Was that a pretty decent price ? Thanks for the help guys, I'll give you the scoop when I wire them up in a few days [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool, I think you'll like the EMG's. If you got them brand new that's a fair price. They seem to sell for around $50 each on eBay used. So not bad at all. Let us know how they sound after you get them in.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

i've had the 81/85 or (zakk wyld) deal in almost all my guitars. great set up. but i'm currently switching them all out to double 81's. they just bite and sing alot more up front, more jazz like. and the 81 in the bridge is great for an all out metal riot! if you want to do rock or classic rock or alternirock or whatever, try the 85 in the bridge. great warmth and cut, made my Jap RR1 sound more like a les paul. i'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ummm...the JB...

I have a KE2, and I have NO IDEA why they put the Jb in it. The Jazz in the neck sounds very nice...smooth, great clean tones, and if you push it with some grind and roll back the tone a bit..you get a nice, singing lead.

I can get some really good lead tones, but the low end crunch? VERY weak.

I am going to pull it out pretty soon and slap in a BL L-500XL.

I think the JB would be a good choice for a Les Paul or any guitar that has that bassy sound.
              In a alder Kelly/Rhoads...not so great!

I am also of the thought that the Rhoads shoud come with the same pickup config that randy had...a little more of a homage to the man!

Comment

I pretty much agree with Dreamland Rebel... if you're gonna go with the ZW setup, put the 81 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge instead. With the quick-connect cables, you can always switch them to see what sound you like better. All EMGs are great in either position, but I happen to like my neck pups a little brighter and bridge pups with a little more chunk... the 85b/81n or 85b/60n fits that bill perfectly!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I personally like the 81 in the bridge.....balls balls balls and more balls. I like the 85 in the neck, but prefer the 89 wired to a split switch.
                  Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Hopefully I'll have them in a few days. The concensus so far is that they should be exactly what I'm looking for. I hope [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

W O W [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] These things kick ass !! I tested them in my Schecter C-1. Compared them to the JB's in my KV and I was blown away. There is (it seems) so much more "over the top" signal coming into my Triple Rec that I can't describe it. All kinds of crisp low end....I'm in heaven [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Now I know what I have been missing. Thanks for the info guys ! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Try the Duncan Dimebucker, or the Duncan Alnico Pro II - they work for me.

Originally posted by kremit:
                        I've got a few guitars that I'm using JB's and SH2N's in and I've been noticing lately that even through a Triple Rec, the JB's are very thin and have little character to the low end (I don't really have any issues with the Jazz hums, though, they are great all around). I like the bite the JB's have, and they stay relatively clear at high volume and palm muted, but for a low growl they just don't cut it. I've been thinking about testing a pair of EMG's (81/85) in my KV1 to see what that might accomplish, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the world outside Seymour Duncan. I really don't do any lead work, so I want to get some pups good for a thick and heavy rhythm sound.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                        \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                        X