Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Jackson have more than 1 custom shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Jackson have more than 1 custom shop?

Hello,

Does Jackson have more than 1 custom shop? For instance is there a custom shop that does just the USA select models with slight variations versus a totally custom guitar to the customer's specs? I have a left handed WR1 with a diamond plated front that was supposedly done in the custom shop but it does not have the "custom shop" logo under the Jackson logo. Is that an option? The serial starts with a "J" so that is why I'm curious about this.

Thanks,
    Eric

Yeah, the Custom Shop logo is an option.

Comment

For USA models, there is only 1 shop - it is currently in Corona California.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A diamond plate WR1?!? Oh do post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          For USA models, there is only 1 shop - it is currently in Corona California.
          Can a date be pinpointed when they moved out of the Ontario plant? I've been wonderin about this for a bit.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

perhaps this is complete BS, but I heard that Jackson actually farmed out some of their custom shop work to a few very well trusted luthier shops depending on workload at the time. is that BS???
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
              Can a date be pinpointed when they moved out of the Ontario plant? I've been wonderin about this for a bit.
              IIRC it was in the middle of 2003.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                IIRC it was in the middle of 2003.
                Wow, over 6 yrs now. Didn't seem that long to me. Where'd the time go?
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  A diamond plate WR1?!? Oh do post pics.

I tried to upload it to the gallery, but it is awaiting moderation.

Comment

GMW used to be an authorized Jackson CS builder/shop, but that changed shortly before the Fender buyout IIRC.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Although maybe not intentional, Newc, that's somewhat misleading. For years, GMW was a J/C custom shop dealer. They also did some outside contract work for J/C, primarily graphics through Dan (who later started an independent business for his graphics work). But GMW was never an authorized custom shop "builder" for J/C.

That's not to take anything away from GMW - they've done great stuff for many years now. And Lee has always been great to deal with, whether ordering a custom J/C guitar back when GMW was a dealer, or doing their own line of GMW guitars. I just thought their role should be clarified, as the above post could be misinterpreted.

To the best of my knowledge, except for some outside contract work (special graphics, inlays, repairs), only the J/C custom shop itself has built its own guitars. In fact, through the years, the J/C custom shop has occassionally "built" some other manufacturers' guitars, necks and/or bodies on a contract basis. Some B.C Riches, for example, were done - in whole or part - by the J/C custom shop. Photographic evidence of this even exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric_kv2 View Post

I tried to upload it to the gallery, but it is awaiting moderation.
                        Not only is that a custom shop Jackson but a mighty damn fine looking one too
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

i'm not a warrior fan but damn is that a fine looking guitar. imo it looks better being a lefty than the rh ones. impressive
                          DK2 EERIE DESS
                          KE3 CUSTOM
                          KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                          KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                          RR3 PRO
                          BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                          KRAMER VOYAGER
                          LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                          TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments. It actually sounds great with the diamond plate. It makes the guitar sound a little brighter, but not too shrill.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              Although maybe not intentional, Newc, that's somewhat misleading. For years, GMW was a J/C custom shop dealer. They also did some outside contract work for J/C, primarily graphics through Dan (who later started an independent business for his graphics work). But GMW was never an authorized custom shop "builder" for J/C.

That's not to take anything away from GMW - they've done great stuff for many years now. And Lee has always been great to deal with, whether ordering a custom J/C guitar back when GMW was a dealer, or doing their own line of GMW guitars. I just thought their role should be clarified, as the above post could be misinterpreted.

To the best of my knowledge, except for some outside contract work (special graphics, inlays, repairs), only the J/C custom shop itself has built its own guitars. In fact, through the years, the J/C custom shop has occassionally "built" some other manufacturers' guitars, necks and/or bodies on a contract basis. Some B.C Riches, for example, were done - in whole or part - by the J/C custom shop. Photographic evidence of this even exists.

Interresting. I seem to recall a post by someone here many moons ago where they were contacted by Lee Garver directly concerning a question they had on their Jackson Custom order.

Then again, perhaps they simply had permission to use the Jackson headstock and logo for things Jackson was either not allowed to build (the many GMW-built Jackson-logoed Firebirds?).
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X