Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Jackson have more than 1 custom shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Then again, perhaps they simply had permission to use the Jackson headstock and logo for things Jackson was either not allowed to build (the many GMW-built Jackson-logoed Firebirds?).
    I'll back up Newc on this theory. When I toured GMW several years back(picked up my Shotgun Soloist there), there were many interesting parts & axes strewn around there...some with Jackson headstocks...a lot of things in various stages of process...
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've seen photos of the Fender Corona plant with a bunch of Jacksons partially finished hanging in the plant.
      My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        Although maybe not intentional, Newc, that's somewhat misleading. For years, GMW was a J/C custom shop dealer. They also did some outside contract work for J/C, primarily graphics through Dan (who later started an independent business for his graphics work). But GMW was never an authorized custom shop "builder" for J/C.

That's not to take anything away from GMW - they've done great stuff for many years now. And Lee has always been great to deal with, whether ordering a custom J/C guitar back when GMW was a dealer, or doing their own line of GMW guitars. I just thought their role should be clarified, as the above post could be misinterpreted.

To the best of my knowledge, except for some outside contract work (special graphics, inlays, repairs), only the J/C custom shop itself has built its own guitars. In fact, through the years, the J/C custom shop has occassionally "built" some other manufacturers' guitars, necks and/or bodies on a contract basis. Some B.C Riches, for example, were done - in whole or part - by the J/C custom shop. Photographic evidence of this even exists.
        GMW has finished a few Jacksons for NAMM shows before Lee lost his dealership status. just sayin...

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

damn that Warrior with the diamond plate totally rocks..very cool
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Interresting. I seem to recall a post by someone here many moons ago where they were contacted by Lee Garver directly concerning a question they had on their Jackson Custom order.
            That could've even been me. When GMW was a J/C dealer, I ordered several custom shop guitars from them. And, when Dan (at GMW) did the paint work, it would not be uncommon for Lee or Dan to call / e-mail with questions. But that doesn't mean GMW built the whole guitar - they were only part of the process.

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            I'll back up Newc on this theory. When I toured GMW several years back(picked up my Shotgun Soloist there), there were many interesting parts & axes strewn around there...some with Jackson headstocks...a lot of things in various stages of process...
            Originally posted by sully View Post
            GMW has finished a few Jacksons for NAMM shows before Lee lost his dealership status. just sayin...
            OK, I'll try describing it another way...

To the best of my knowledge, GMW has never built - from scratch and in its entirety - any new J/C custom guitars. Yes, they have done graphics, repairs, refins and other types of work for the J/C custom shop. So it would not be out of the ordinary - back then - to see several J/C custom shop guitars at various stages of build at the GMW shop. Lee and Dan did a lot of different stuff for them back then.

Comment

wasn't Brook's green PC archtop completed by GMW yet stamped with a Jackson serial number?? Not 100% sure but I think it came with Jackson warranty
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Wow, interesting thread!
                Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Also, Lee Garver is not a luthier, he is an assembler.

Kris Moser (Neal's son) does all the fretwork on GMW guitars.

Comment

There were also a number of one-offs and prototypes made in Japan. :P
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                    X