Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to tell the year on older imports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to tell the year on older imports?

I seem to remember some topic abot this from a long time ago, but the search feature just timed out on my twice.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Mudkicker posted some guidelines >here< a few years ago. (this was for Model Series Charvels)
    Last edited by dg; 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

A little more info would be nice.

Bolt-ons with a neckplate:
      1990-mid1996:
      First number is the year (0=1990, 6=1996)

mid1996-Present:
      6 or 7 numbers (including leading zeroes) = Japan
      8 numbers (including leading zeroes) = India/Indonesia
      9+ numbers (including leading zeroes) = Korea/Taiwan/whatever

Bolt-ons with stickers IIRC started in 1996 and used the neckthrough format (J+6 numbers). Not sure if the numbers indicate years.

Neckthroughs:
      1990-199x?:
      J = Japan, first number (including leading zeroes) is year (0=1990, 2=1992, etc)

If there's no J, the first number should still be the year. Could be first 2 numbers. Haven't seen an RR5/SL3/etc in person to verify.

Performer models with wide 12th fret dots were made in India. Performers with narrow 12th fret dots were made in Japan.

Any Professional model made in 2000 (or was it 2001?) except the PC-3 was made in India.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Actually I am looking for infor on several....

PS2 (I think) 961XXXX
        KE3 9908XXXX
        KV3 961XXXX
        KVX10 969XXXX

I think the KVx10 is a 2003... I seem to recall getting it then... the others I purchased used. I'm just curious.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

KV3 was dropped in '99 IIRC and replaced with the KVX10.

The PS2 will have to be decided based on the 12th fret dot spacing as mentioned above.

The KE3 is India 2000/01 (whenever they were moved there for the one year) and the KVX10 depends on the features (frets, bridge, etc) and inlays (dots/fins).

Older KVX10s had 22 frets and locking trems with dot inlays, except the KVX10D which had fins. If it's a string-through/TOM model, it's recent.

There was also a KE10D which looked a lot like the KE3 and was made at the same time, but I think the only way to tell was that the KE10D had satin chrome hardware and a neckplate, whereas the KE3 had recessed bolts with washers like the JJ-1.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

The PS2 has narrowspacing... so I guess that is Japan... I was hoping to get a year for it... I think I bought it in '99.

The KE3 has chrome hardware.. but not satin chrome... I got this in 2001...

The KV3 I picked up in 2007 I think... but I assumed '99 because I thought that was the only year they made them... wasn't sure...

And the KVX10 has 24 frets, string thru body, and fins. I am almost positive it is '03... I can't recall if I got it in '03 or '04 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Any Professional model made in 2000 (or was it 2001?) except the PC-3 was made in India.
              Newc, you've said this before and I called you on it, this doesn't sound right. Where are you gettting this info? Granted you have most likely had more imports go through your hands than mine. Are you maybe getting mixed up with the X series? (MII 2000 & 2001, MIJ 2002-present).
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                Actually I am looking for infor on several....

PS2 (I think) 961XXXX
                KE3 9908XXXX
                KV3 961XXXX
                KVX10 969XXXX

I think the KVx10 is a 2003... I seem to recall getting it then... the others I purchased used. I'm just curious.

PS2 (I think) 961XXXX
                KV3 961XXXX

both of these are *approximately* 1997, and Japan, because this # series is sequential only and began in mid 1996 with 960xxxx

KE3 9908XXXX 1999 India, but I don't know that KE3s were made in India. It is most likely a KX or K10 something.

KVX10 969XXXX 2003 Japan, I thought I answered this for you already.
                Last edited by RacerX; 12-10-2009, 10:43 PM.

Comment

More Newcpicking below

mid1996-Present:

8 numbers (including leading zeroes) = India/Indonesia Were there any C/Js made in Indonesia?

9+ numbers (including leading zeroes) = Korea/Taiwan/whatever Some recent Indian guitars have 9 digits now, ie 2006xxxxx

Bolt-ons with stickers IIRC started in 1996 and used the neckthrough format (J+6 numbers). Not sure if the numbers indicate years. This is confusing, by stickers do you mean the Made In Japan stickers, or stickers that contain the serial # ?

Neckthroughs:

If there's no J, the first number should still be the year. Could be first 2 numbers. Haven't seen an RR5/SL3/etc in person to verify. Recent MIJ neckthroughs follow the format YYxxxx ie 061087 = Made in 2006

Performer models with wide 12th fret dots were made in India. Performers with narrow 12th fret dots were made in Japan. Some Performers were Korea also, I think the serials start with 10
                  Last edited by RacerX; 12-11-2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

KVX10 969XXXX 2003 Japan, I thought I answered this for you already.
                    Um... unless I am missing something, you hadn't... but anyway you have me curious about the KE3 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                      Um... unless I am missing something, you hadn't...
                      http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101039 Post # 11 buddy boy

Comment

Yeah Ron, time passes and the mind goes to shit

But I do recall a pre-buyout year where they specifically stated all Pros except the PC3 were moving to India or Indonesia or wherever the hell they were

And yeah, serial stickers. I never knew if those came with Made In wherever stickers since none of mine did (used).

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Holy crap... you are right.... I stand corrected... (there's a reason they call it dope....)

Comment

A little more info would be nice.

Bolt-ons with a neckplate:
                            1990-mid1996:
                            First number is the year (0=1990, 6=1996)

Bolt-ons with stickers IIRC started in 1996 and used the neckthrough format (J+6 numbers). Not sure if the numbers indicate years.
                            I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Professional series. Have a 93 Rhoads EX (bolt-on w/ neckplate) with a serial # that starts with a 9 and a 93 Kelly STD with a serial # sticker.
                            My gear
                            87 Charvel Model 6
                            86 Charvel Model 4
                            93 Jackson RR EX
                            93 Jackson Kelly STD
                            88 Ibanez RG560
                            99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

It should apply to the Professional series since that's all there was until 1996 when they introduced the Concept series, which later became the Performer series.

If you bought yours used, they could be rebuilds or mutts.

Comment

Working...
                              X