No announcement yet.

Charvel Refinish Project (lots of PICS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Refinish Project (lots of PICS)

Edited to add a few new pics of me and the guitar together:

This started off as a body from a MIJ Charvel Standard made around 2002 as seen here in the original blue color.

I wanted to stip off the paint and stain it a medium brown color. Since it already had a little ding in the paint where the paint just kind of flaked off easily, I decided to use an exacto knife to chip/peel the paint off. That proved to be a major pain in the ass. It came off in tiny little pieces a lot of the time that would fly in every direction possible. I'm not even sure how many hours it took me to get all the paint off. It was spread over several days. Don't think I'll ever do that again.

Here it is with the paint gone and some sanding done.

I decided to copy the method from another guy on Harmony Central. His guitar looked great so I followed what he did. I got some RIT clothing dye from Walmart. After applying a coat of the dye, this is what I got.

It was really chalky and not soaking into the paint. I took some 0000 steal wool to it and got this.

At this point, I thought it looked killer. Nothing like what I intended, but I liked it. However, a lot of the dye was just sitting on top still as a dry dust/chalk. After more steal wool...

I ended up doing three coats of the dye. Same process each time. Let it dry for 24 hours, then steal wool, then another coat. It was darking up each time and looking really cool.

When I was taking off the paint, I put a lot of little nicks and cuts in the wood. I filled in the some of the larger ones with wood filler. The filler really soaked in the dye and you can see them as much darker spots on the guitar. Also the edges soaked in the dye more as well as that one big spot on the front where I sanded a bit deeper I guess.

Finally I did 4 coats of tung oil. Here is the final product.

Last edited by fullmetalguitar; 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM.
    Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
    www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Reminds me of what I did to my old Kramer Focus 15 years ago. Stripped it using a heat gun and stained it green.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Some more details:

I had the neck made by a guy I found on the Harmony Central board. He lives in Virginia and makes bodies and necks (and I think he's only 20 years old). After seeing a pic he posted of a 24 fret strathead, I asked him to make me one, and he did for $125. A very good price. The fretboard is pao ferro. It turned out great except for the nut, which was cheap plastic with one of the slots cut too deep.

I originally wanted to put it all together myself and try to do the set up and all, but there's no way I could make a new nut. I took it to Neal Moser Jr., son of Neal Moser Sr. of BC Rich and GMW fame. Neal Jr. did the bone nut for $30 and set up for $40. Money well spent. He was super cool and had it done in a few days. Top notch work. The guitar plays great. If you're in the L.A./O.C. area, I definitely recommend him for any work you need done. He works with his dad on their Moser custom guitars.

The pickups are from guitarfetish.com and only cost $23 each. They are called Crunchy PATs and sound pretty good.

Got the tuners on ebay from Bitterroot for $15.

I'll try to get a video up next week.

Comment

My dad took a Belt Sander and a Blow Torch to his 89' Jackson neck-thru soloist. He thought that the Ferrari Red paint on it looked ugly. He called Jackson and the rep freaked out on him.

Comment

Originally posted by 706AN View Post
          My dad took a Belt Sander and a Blow Torch to his 89' Jackson neck-thru soloist.
          What, no pliers?

(name the movie(s) referenced)
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            What, no pliers?

(name the movie(s) referenced)
            Pulp Fiction, nice reference and a lot of great quotes.

Comment

...and Tarantino took that quote from an earlier thriller...name that one (more obscure)

Comment

Turned out pretty good. Glad to see I'm not the only one who does everyting the hard way.

Kinda reminds me of the one the guy posted a while back that he stained with coffee grounds and motor oil.

Just curious, if you had it to do it all over what would you do differently?
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                  Turned out pretty good. Glad to see I'm not the only one who does everyting the hard way.

Kinda reminds me of the one the guy posted a while back that he stained with coffee grounds and motor oil.

Just curious, if you had it to do it all over what would you do differently?
                  I'd probably use a rectangular razor blade rather than a pointy exacto knife. I think the paint would come off easier that way. Even though I don't plan to ever do this again, I also can't imagine sanding all the paint off either.

I would also stop sanding when the white spot started to appear. I kept sanding harder and the spot just grew in size. That's where the large dark spot is on the front. It really soaked up the dye.

Other than that, I wouldn't change anything. I really like the way the finish came out. It looks like an old piece of wood that's been around for many years. All the marks and nicks give it a lot of character.

Comment

I really like this idea! I have a PS-4 body I stripped and can't decided what to do with. I always loved that natural finish look like the Nuno Bettencourt N-4's. I'm really gonna have to consider doing this.
                    Causing chaos one note at a time!

-CJ-

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      ...and Tarantino took that quote from an earlier thriller...name that one (more obscure)
                      Of course it is Charlie Varrick from the early 70's.

Obviously, I cheated on that one. I haven't seen it but it looks interesting. Here's the quote:
                      "You don't have much choice, Harold. They're gonna try to make you tell where the money is. You know what kind of people they are. They're gonna strip you naked and go to work on you with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch."

Comment

You cheater you

Comment

That looks great, job well done! Reminds me of Nuno's guitars of course, and the old San Dimas Charvel line.

Comment

very cool vibe.....nicely done
                            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks dudes. Glad you like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X