non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-recressed Floyd Rose tremolo

Hello,my name is Cesar,im from spain,and i bought a charvel star one year ago, and i would know,why the bridge cannot move back,i have thought bring my guitar to a luthier and grind down the body under the tremolo, i dont know if its good or wrong idea. thanks man. this guitar is the best guitar i ever had.
    Sorry for my english i know it is a fuckin shit,i hope you understand me.

If you're planning on keeping the guitar, then go ahead and modify it.

But if you ever plan to sell it, you will be killing the value. Lots of people prefer the non-recessed Floyds, especially on older guitars like the Star.
    Scott

Comment

You can get some pull-back by shimming the neck at the heel and raising the Floyd. That will let it float and you'll be able to pull back.

All you need a is a piece of paper. Take off the neck and put the paper between the butt of the heel and the body - between the two. Screw the neck back down. This will create angle the neck back a little and raise the height of the end of the fretboard. You will need to raise the Floyd to allow the strings to clear.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Post some pics of that Star .

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          You can get some pull-back by shimming the neck at the heel and raising the Floyd. That will let it float and you'll be able to pull back.

All you need a is a piece of paper. Take off the neck and put the paper between the butt of the heel and the body - between the two. Screw the neck back down. This will create angle the neck back a little and raise the height of the end of the fretboard. You will need to raise the Floyd to allow the strings to clear.

This is exactly right, and I'll just add that a good luthier should have known this and explained this option option to you. Start with the conservative, reversible approach, then if you still don't think you're getting enough pullup range, rout the guitar.
          Last edited by dg; 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

¡Hola! It depends how much pitch you want to raise. You can put the floyd in a certain angle so you can raise the pitch by pulling up a whole tone, or even a little bit more. (Edit: like Turk and dg mentioned already)
            But if you want more than that, for example some crazy Reb Beach or Steve Vai harmonic screams then recessed is the way to go.

Have you talked to the luthier yet? Discuss all the options with him. By the way, which area you live in? Some of the world's best luthiers suppose to be in Andalucía.
            Last edited by Endrik; 12-14-2009, 12:23 PM.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I agree. Shim the neck and raise the Floyd first. However; do check so the sustain block has free travel in the back of the guitar. If there isn't enough room for the block to move in the back, the guitar must be routed out a little in the back cavity.

I have two Charvels with floating, non-recessed Floyds, and I get all the pull-up I need. If it still isn't enough, have the luthier add a pull-up route under the bridge. There is no need to recess the entire bridge. That would just be unecessary work. Simply adding a pull-up route would add more range without messing with the bridge anchors.

Comment

thanks for your replies, i think i will do it, im not going to sell my guitar, but i will talk with the luthier about grandturk`s idea,( i think i have understood you but im not sure,basically is, keep the bridge up?) i live in cartagena,near andalucia,but the luthiers in andalucia usually dont know anythin about electric guitars they usually make and repair spanish guitars...i have just understan your observation sunbane and really there isn't enough room for the block to move in the back...i will talk about all it with the luthier,my cam is broken, but i will upload photos... thanks to all...

Comment

Working...
                X