Charvel natural or Jackson SL2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel natural or Jackson SL2?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I'm in the market for a new guitar in the near future. I had decided on a Jackson SL2 soloist UNTIL I got a look @ the Charvel natural series guitars and fell in love with the look of it. I know the differences 22 vs 24 frets, neck through or bolt on and so on, but i was hoping somebody could sway me to one or the other with some hard facts about them or just personal experience with either of these guitars. They are basically in the same price range so price is not an option. Wish I could have both! Thanks in advance.

I would favour the SL2H. The neckthru will give you better upper-fret access for a start, and I prefer painted necks. I'm not keen on these Charvel natural series. If possible, walk into a shop where they have both so you can compare.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yeah, I agree with the upper fret accessibility of the Sl2 being a good selling point of the guitar. I have guitars with both painted and unpainted necks and I don't seem to mind it one way or the other. There is just something that I like about the San dimas natural, I guess maybe because it looks so simple. The SL2 that I want(trans black/chrome) is like the total opposite, but equally appealing.

Comment

I would also go with the SL2H for sure. The fret access of course is better, the neck shape on the SL2H is more comfortable in my opinion, and 24 frets is a nice plus. Also the SL2H will have the MOP inlays and logo (at least in most cases) which don't add to the playabilitiy of course but are a nice extra touch considering it is the same price. Charvels are no doubt nice guitars though. Can always go for a Charvel later if you still got the itch for one then as well
        My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

I played an SL1 @ GC awhile back and it is a very playable guitar and a lot lighter than I thougth it would be. I'm used to playing a Les Paul standard so really everything is light compared. The MOP inlays are beautiful on the Jacksons and like you said for the same price a bonus vs the charvel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcortez View Post
            Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I'm in the market for a new guitar in the near future. I had decided on a Jackson SL2 soloist UNTIL I got a look @ the Charvel natural series guitars and fell in love with the look of it. I know the differences 22 vs 24 frets, neck through or bolt on and so on, but i was hoping somebody could sway me to one or the other with some hard facts about them or just personal experience with either of these guitars. They are basically in the same price range so price is not an option. Wish I could have both! Thanks in advance.
            My input here really does not have anything to do with the guitars you are looking at other than the bolt-on neckthru differences, but the flavor of the guitars I used to writhe the following is very similar to the two guitars you are contemplating on buying. Now I do have both types, so it is easy for me to decide, but I almost ALWAYS go for the bolt on guitar before the neckthru...wan't always that way, but lately thats just how it is. I prefer the full size strat shape over the dinky body style.

Anyways, here is my quote from an earlier thread titled neckthrough vs bolt on:

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
            Mine are both Model series Charvels. One is a Model 3A and the other is a Model 5 FX.
            I think of them as cars when comparing them.

The 3 (bolt on), is the equivalent of a late 60's early 70's muscle car that has seen a whole lot of fun through its life. Not beat on just pushed, not fearing to get it dirty. Step on the gas hard and you're rewarded with unrestrained wheel spin from the raw power. Still as potent as the day it rolled out of the factory, just a fun car.

The 5 (neck through) is the equivalent of a modern high powered Lexus/Infinity/Mercedes/BMW or the like. A high level of refinement, as well as unquestionable power. Step on the fuel and you feel a linear power push the car just as hard as the old muscle car, just in a different more refined fashion. Again, fun as hell.

Two different animals accomplishing the same thing. Just feeling completely different doing it. Neither one better, just different.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I lean a little more towards the charvel side of things because I like their neck profile more. You really can't go wrong with either axe. The charvels might sound a tad bit better because they're unpainted.

Comment

You really can't go wrong with either, but if I had to pick one, it would be the Soloist, due to the playability.

Comment

I just picked up a mahogany Natural San Dimas and haven't put it down since I got it.

Comment

I have one of the natural series and one thing comes to mind. It's a tone beast. The body not being sealed up lets the guitar ring pretty well. It's one of my best sounding charvels
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I have new (floyd) and old Soloists (kahler and Floyd), and a mahogany oiled Charvel. They're pretty different beasts really. Now remember that this next bit is very subjective

I like both, but for different reasons - the Charvel works for me as a rock guitar, whereas Soloists do metal better for me. But that might well be me subconciously buying into the imagery of the brands, though I like to think there is some substance there as well.
                      The Charvel has great tone and sustain, but as discussed the 22 frets and blocky neck heel don't lend themselves to great high end shredding. Plus, it has a maple board which gives a brighter snap to procedings which to my ears works better for rock than metal.
                      The Soloists obviously have great upper fret access and the tone is more 'full' if that makes sense. That tone works better for metal at least for me / my setup. Plus the neck profiles are somewhat thinner which again points my brain / hands to metal playing, rather than the Charvel profile which goes to rock...
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The best choice will be different for everyone, of course, but the Charvel Naturals are my favorite guitars, period. I absolutely love the neck profile, including the rounded fretboard edges. The wood used for the Koa versions is top notch - the Birdseye Maple necks are fantastic. I also like the simplicity of the Naturals.

Comment

It will definetly be a hard decision. Now I'm looking at the new production Charvel Wild Card red with the single humbucker. That thing screams 1985! I want all of them. I mostly play classic rock all the way up to Priest/Ozzy/Pantera so I think either of the guitars will be able to cover all the bases for me. Thanks for the opinions and Happy New Year!

Comment

Working...
                          X