Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need specific springs for an OFR or will any springs do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need specific springs for an OFR or will any springs do?

I just got an SL-1 and im a fan of heavier strings, the 9-42s on there arent really for me. I want to put some 10-52s in there but ill need to have all 5 springs in use for that, but will any work or does an OFR have specific springs to use?

James

Re: Do you need specific springs for an OFR or will any springs do?

I use 10-46 with 4 springs. When i first changed the strings, my floyd was unstable, so i put another spring to fix that, and now its a bad mofo, it stays in tune forever. When i was looking for springs, i didnt find the exact kind that came with my sl2h. The ones i found were slivery, while the ones i had were a bronze color, or vise versa. i think that they may have been a very slightly different size, but i cant complain because i havent had to adjust the springs since i added the spring. i think you may have to put 5 springs, but try 4 first and see how it works out.

Comment

I use 10-46 and 3 springs work fine for me. If you like a more rigid feel, then you can add some. You'll probably need springs designed just for an double locking system, unless you can find some that are exactly like them elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Gpops:
        I use 10-46 with 4 springs. When i first changed the strings, my floyd was unstable, so i put another spring to fix that, and now its a bad mofo, it stays in tune forever. When i was looking for springs, i didnt find the exact kind that came with my sl2h. The ones i found were slivery, while the ones i had were a bronze color, or vise versa. i think that they may have been a very slightly different size, but i cant complain because i havent had to adjust the springs since i added the spring. i think you may have to put 5 springs, but try 4 first and see how it works out.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks man

where did you pick the springs up from? did any guitar store do them or did you have to order them specifically?

James

Comment

Any shop should have them. They're dirt cheap. i didnt even have to buy the whole 3 spring pack... the guy opened it and gave me 1 for 33cents [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just make sure its about the same size as the rest of your springs, maybe bring one with you.

[ June 15, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Gpops ]

Comment

Three springs will be fine with 10-52. Though, you can use four or five for the trem to have a little stiffer feel. Expermiment and see what works best for you. I've used 10-46 for years with 3, 4 or 5 springs and seem to prefer five on most of my Floyded guitars. Though, my 7-string has 10-56 with only three springs.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              Three springs will be fine with 10-52. Though, you can use four or five for the trem to have a little stiffer feel. Expermiment and see what works best for you. I've used 10-46 for years with 3, 4 or 5 springs and seem to prefer five on most of my Floyded guitars. Though, my 7-string has 10-56 with only three springs.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well i dont know how far i can screw the spring bracket into the guitar, i dont want to damage anything. Theres about 1cm gap between the bracket and the wood a the moment, with 9-42s

James

Comment

i think thats enough, and if you want to try that go ahead, it should work. If the trem is unstable try 4 springs.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] 7 string with 3 springs. How the hell does that work [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I BEG to DIFFER...IMHO, a spring is NOT a SPRING...USED ones or CRAPPY ones have EITHER LOST some tension, or DON'T HAVE it in the FIRST place...Use BRAND NEW springs, as they STILL have their "memory"...and the German springs that come with OFR's and Schaller trems are WAY BETTER, IMHO...

CASE IN POINT...I borrowed a LARGE pull-type scale from the feed store where I buy my Doberman, Samson's mutt food {sorta like is in one of those Zebco fish length/weight measurers that your Dad had in his tackle box, but MUCH. MUCH BIGGER !!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] {They weigh stuff like oats with 'em}...

I strung up one of my mutt Kramers with an Original Floyd Rose with Ernie Ball Super Slinky pink 9-42s, and the THREE OLD, TIRED SPRINGS that had been on it for YEARS...I then stretched the new strings, tuned it to regular E-440 with the Original Floyd LEVELED, and LOCKED the locking nut on ALL 6 strings...I THEN turned it over, and popped off ALL 3 springs to slack the springs and unbolted the locking nut from the neck with the strings STILL LOCKED, and put the 3 springs BACK in the SAME position...

I THEN put a mountain climbing carabeiner {sp?} around the locking nut between the 3rd and 4th strings, fastened the top of the big pull scale to my BIG-ASSED bench vise, and hooked the bottom hook to the 'beiner, and with the Kramer sitting on it's back flat on a towel, had my assistant SLIDE and PULL the guitar along the bench until the Floyd was LEVEL, and NOTED the WEIGHT READING {a Mickey Mouse-way to measure foot/pounds}...The scale read 145 lbs.

...I THEN put 3 BRAND NEW springs out of a NEW Original Floyd Rose {new in the box} - WITHOUT adjusting the claw, and had him pull AGAIN, and when it was level, I noted the weight on the scale...

160 LBS.

In OTHER WORDS...The DIFFERENCE between the OLD springs and the NEW Schaller springs was about 15 lbs.

a DIFFERENCE of about 10%

...FOOD for THOUGHT, huh ???

PS...I am an Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer, and get my Floyds RIGHT from "DA MAN" himself, and I STOCK these springs and ALL Floyd parts...

{and before SOMEONE ELSE SAYS it...I KNOW...I have TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS !!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] }

[ June 16, 2003, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Doc Dryer ]

Comment

Yeah, but, can you beat 33 cents, Doc? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

NO, Ron {Racer}...I CANNOT BEAT 33 cents, but at 3 for $1.00 vs. 3 for $6.00...is it REALLY WORTH SAVING the 5 bucks to have yer Floyd go flat and WAIL like a SQUASHED CAT ??? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's like a 75 cent dogcrap imported input jack vs. a $2.50 US Switchcraft one, or a CTS volume pot at $5.00 vs. a $2.00 junker...If the JUNK one CRAPS OUT in the middle of a SCREAMIN' SOLO in front of a packed house, is the saved $1.75-$3.00 WORTH IT to ya ???

...BUT...If there is ONE LINE of people that wanted to SAVE the buck or 2 and POSSIBLY BREAK DOWN...and ANOTHER LINE of people that spend the few extra scheckles and get a QUALITY PART that LASTS and is WORRY-FREE...

I DON'T KNOW about YOU...

...but I MYSELF am gonna be...IN THAT LONG LINE !!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

well considering that my sl2h was 1 month old at that time, the springs should be pretty good. And i think the size may have looked a bit different because the one that was new hadn't been streched before, if you wanna get anal about it. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Anyway, it works fine and who knows, it may as well be a FR spring because it fit right in.

Comment

Working...
                        X