authenticating jacksons and charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    We've seen a few through the E-fraid section over the years. There were a lot of companies making Jacksonalikes back in the 80s and many that ripped off Jackson's pointy headstock. You'll occasionally find neckthrough imports that are "close enough" that if rebadged could fool the less informed. Anyone who knows Jacksons could tell by the finer details but the uninitiated could be convinced by a relogoed Hondo or Vester that they're looking at something special. Because we all know that if it's not currently on the Jackson website, it must be Custom Shop, right?

and given that it is neckthrough and the confidence a buyer would have that no one could have just slapped a Jackson neck on an unknown body, I would think the risk is greater that someone who doesn't know any better might overspend on it. So that great deal on the Soloist with "Made in USA" after the logo that they've just picked up for $700 doesn't look so fine when they find out that it's actually a Hondo made in Korea.

For an example of what I'm talking about, check out the great restoration Henrik did on his Fernandes Rhoads

Unfortunately the page on his site is being rebuilt so you can't see the whole process, but from the initial pics, you can see how this neckthrough Fernandes rebadged could easily be mistaken for a Jackson.
    GEEZ!!!!!!!! when did fernandes make that? I see your point - I would probably get duped it they put decent Jackson logo on that - how was the qaulity on that?
    http://www.myspace.com/dannyjoecarterband
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyjoecarter

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post

picture from a few years back... i've since accrued several more charvels (esp. the fusion series)

but those dk2m-s. i mean, these are always popping up on ebay. not necessarily for cheap (just the regular street price), but i was browsing the web and saw the exact body shape and all on a website selling for under a $100. and it's white, too. someone can just buy a body, then put on a jackson neck. how can i tell if those ebay ones are real and not a knock off, especially if it's assembled already?
      Love those Pointy's!
      Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Comment

Working...
      X