Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Transition from Behind-the-nut string lock to Locking nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Transition from Behind-the-nut string lock to Locking nut?

I'm just curious if any of the Model 2 to 6 came with locknuts...

I have seen some late 1988 models that have them but not sure if they came stock that way and if so, when they started using them.

I know the later Toothpaste Charvels had them but when was the transition point and did it occur during the later Model series?
    Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

I'm guessing 88 was the year they transitioned. My 87 model 6 had the JT6 with the kahler style behind the nut lock. IIRC, most 88's had the floyd style.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

My 88 model 6 has the behind the nut kahler style, so i think 89 would be the transition point, but i had an 88 4M with a kahler floyd style lock nut, go figure?:think:
      Last edited by jacksonaxes; 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Officially, locknuts were introduced as standard features on both Jacksons and Charvels for the 1989 model year. I'm not aware of any 'transition'.

I've never seen an '88 Charvel with anything but a Kahler-style string lock. Any Jacksons before '89 with locknuts were custom-ordered that way, typically by someone who had an Original Floyd Rose installed.

Also, remember that production of "1989" Charvel models actually began in late '88. I consider a "1989" Charvel made in late '88 to be a 1989 guitar, since that's the model year. I'm sure it's possible a few guitars slipped out the door of Chushin Gakki in late '88 with 'hybrid' features of the '88 and '89 models. Those would be quite rare, however. At this point, some of them have undoubtedly been modified, too.
        Last edited by pro-fusion; 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I've see a few very late '88 models with a Kahler-branded floyd locknut. They seem to pop up on quite a few of the Rainbow Crackle Model 6 and 3DR guitars. If you search "rainbow crackle" or "Model 3DR", you'll find it mentioned in a lot of the threads. Rainbow Crackle was introduced late in '88, so that may be why it is seen on those particular guitars so often. My guess is they were trying out some new things just before the switchover to the toothpaste-logo models.

Here's one old thread that mentions it on both a Model 6 and 3DR:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=488230
          Last edited by dg; 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I had a 3DR with the Kahler-made Floyd type locking nut. I also have an old guitar mag with a full page Charvel ad with Grover on it with a blue 3DR that had the same type of nut. IIRC, the mag was from August 1988, give or take a month.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

My 1989 Soloist has a Kahler-licensed locknut, so I'd reason that 88-89 sounds about right.
              As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

Working...
              X