Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 650 XL?

Hi

I've had this beauty for 20 years now and I've never found a better guitar...

However, like everyone else, I'm interested in it's history and am unsure of exactly which model it is...650XL seems most likely

I seem to remember when I bought it that it was called a 'Loner'(?) and it was about £800 UK Sterling.

The serial number is stamped on the neck and looks like 0904522, however from reading on this forum and others it must be C904522 as I've never seen a reference to any beginning with 0...

It's got Jackson labelled pickups in the HSS format (at least I think that's what it is - large square rear pickup and 2 narrow front pickups). The switch is 5 way, and the bridge is recessed and labelled Made in Germany by Schaller, with a Charvel logo on the top side. It's metallic black, the Charvel toothpaste logo is printed on the headstock, and it has pearl shark fin inlays...

Can anybody help me with the model, and perhaps point me towards instructions for the 5 way switch? (I know, I know 20 years and I'm still unsure?)

Thanks in advance for any help...

Al

You're definitely describing a 650XL. Here's the catalog page from '89:

As for the switch, I'm not sure if you want wiring schematics or if you just mean what position is what, but switch positions should be (starting with the switch pulled all the way toward the bridge):

1- bridge pickup
    2- bridge + middle
    3- middle only
    4- neck + middle
    5- neck pickup only

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

If you're looking for wiring diagrams, you may find them on audiozone too:

Last edited by ken; 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

If your needing to know how to wire it, here is a cav pic of my 650.
        Bridge pup to 1st (end) contact, Mid to 2nd, neck to 3rd, and white wire on 4th contact goes to the middle lug on the middle pot.

The bridge pup solder looked like crap. Better now.
        Models
        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
        I dont need furniture.
        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
        And rock that sucker.

Comment

Aah the joys of the interweb...

Thanks everyone - been looking for this info for a while - it was just the switching I was looking for - pretty obvious but just wanted to make sure...

Thanks again for all your help.

Al

Comment

Working...
          X