Unfinished Neck on SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished Neck on SL1

I'm looking at a 1997 Jackson SL1. The owner told me that it has an unfinished neck. The body is painted and the rest of the guitar is typical SL1. I'm wondering if this was something that was done at the time of production or an after market thing. I'm not sure if it has a satin finish or if it's completely unfinished. I don't want to buy it if someone sanded down a painted neck to their liking, but if it was a factory job, that's another story. Think neck-thru ESP KH2. Thanks for any information you can provide.
    Last edited by dark_knight; 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM.

I don't believe that was ever a regular production feature on the SL1, but plenty of custom-shop and small-run Soloists have been built with unfinished necks over the years. Do you have pictures? A factory job will typically involve a clean-looking finish line running over the neck heel, with the back of the headstock also being unfinished. Most 'home sanding' jobs don't look that clean and usually involve leaving the finish on the back of the headstock.

Comment

Is this the one on Ebay? White? If so, there's not a very clear picture of the heel area but it appears to have no finish on the back of the headstock also, and it looks like the typical "buttery" aged Tru Oil finish.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
        I don't believe that was ever a regular production feature on the SL1, but plenty of custom-shop and small-run Soloists have been built with unfinished necks over the years. Do you have pictures? A factory job will typically involve a clean-looking finish line running over the neck heel, with the back of the headstock also being unfinished. Most 'home sanding' jobs don't look that clean and usually involve leaving the finish on the back of the headstock.
        I think I have seen them like your talking about where the clear runs about an 1/8" past where the paint stops - is that what you're refering too?
        http://www.myspace.com/dannyjoecarterband
        http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyjoecarter

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyjoe Carter View Post
          I think I have seen them like your talking about where the clear runs about an 1/8" past where the paint stops - is that what you're refering too?
          Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. That's a factory finish and pretty easy to detect.

Comment

The guy claims it is all original, finish included... I inquired...
            Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Working...
            X