Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common are broken/cracked head stocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common are broken/cracked head stocks?

I recently bought a '93 DR and the head stock is cracked and repaired. I noticed a few others on evilbay with the same thing. Is this a somewhat common problem with Jackson's?

somewhat, this usually happens in the case if the the case is slightly to big. I know quite a few people with cracked Jackson headstocks and they all claim it happened in the case. an easy way to prevent this is to add padding.
    Gear:
    93 Jackson KV Pro
    07 Dean VMNT1 (Modded)
    07 Cort VX-4V
    Franken Strat

Comment

I think you see more for sale with cracked headstocks than % of all Jacksons with cracked headstocks. Some people will have the ass torn out of them every time they look at it, so once it's damaged in that way it's gotta go, whereas if it wasn't broken they'd keep it.

Put another way, if 10% of all Jacksons on Ebay have cracked headstocks I think it would be an error to assume Jackson headstocks break 10% of the time.

Comment

I have a Fusion Pro neck where the top of the headstock is cracked through the low E peghole. I've seen this quite often. When I bought it on ebay the pawn shop didn't disclose it, and also sent the guitar wrapped in cardboard where the body got a chunk taken out. I chewed some ass and got 1/2 my money back.

The body (a Kelly with a Fusion neck) I flipped on ebay, and then I scored a Charvel Fusion Deluxe red body for the neck. Add in an 18 volt EMG81 and EMG-S and here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          I think you see more for sale with cracked headstocks than % of all Jacksons with cracked headstocks. Some people will have the ass torn out of them every time they look at it, so once it's damaged in that way it's gotta go, whereas if it wasn't broken they'd keep it.

Put another way, if 10% of all Jacksons on Ebay have cracked headstocks I think it would be an error to assume Jackson headstocks break 10% of the time.

I think I'm almost at that point now. As long as I'm playing it I cant see it though

Comment

Improper case is usually the problem.If the tip of the headstock hits the bottom of the case that can happen.Its an easy fix really.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Improper case is usually the problem.If the tip of the headstock hits the bottom of the case that can happen.Its an easy fix really.
              easy fix as in the head stock or taking some foam out of the case? I guess it got cracked in shipping from the last owner. The case looks like its for a regular head stock, though it seems to fit fine. Thanks for the info, I never would have thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                easy fix as in the head stock or taking some foam out of the case? I guess it got cracked in shipping from the last owner. The case looks like its for a regular head stock, though it seems to fit fine. It Does not hit the bottom, but might on the end if it were in a van or being moved around a lot.

Thanks for the info, I never would have thought of that.

Comment

It almost touches on the tips, but not under or above.

Comment

The headstock needs to be free floating in the case. Not touching the bottom or the top or sides as stated above. Remember whenever wood takes a hit it absorbs that energy and needs to expel that energy. If the head stock is restricted in movement that energy will explode out of the wood some where resulting in a cracked headstock. If the wood is free floating it can then vibrate that energy out freely and not risk any damage.
                    Carpenters will tell you this all day long. As for headstocks being repaired? yes it can be done. I have a DK2S that fell from the top of the wall at GC and the headstock snapped at the 3rd string tuner. I glued it and it rocks. Yeah theres some chips in the finish and the binding. But cosmetics is less important than functionality.
                    Gil

Comment

Thanks again for all the info guys. I am going to take some foam out of the case tomorrow, make sure there is plenty of room. I wish that crack did not bother me, the neck is probably the best I've ever felt. Has a really cool line going down the board too.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                        have a DK2S that fell from the top of the wall at GC and the headstock snapped at the 3rd string tuner. I glued it and it rocks. Gil
                        It fell by itself?
                        More like, committed suicide cuz it realized it was in a GC! Hahahahaha!

"Goodbye cruel world, aaaaaaaaaah!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i had a reverse jackson headstock break through the high e peg hole, fell off a stand and hit the carpet, gorilla glued it, havent had a problem since

Comment

floyd rose equipped guitars seem to get the most cracks.....the headstock on san dimas era charvels and jacksons are not all that thick up there, and drilling the holes for the floyd nut makes them even more likely to crack.

the modern ones are a lot better that have top mounted floyd nuts that don't need holes drilled thru.

that's why as much as i don't like kahlers, i don't mind them on vintage san dimas era guitars, because they are more stable and less likely to crack at the headstock...

Comment

The incidents I've seen involved falling off a couch, falling off a stand, and falling out of a douchebag buddy's hands. I think it has more to do with the fact that they are angled than anything. You see plenty of busted Gibson headstocks, but rarely if ever a busted strathead or tele headstock.

Comment

Working...
                              X