Reason for finished necks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for finished necks??

Is there a reason for having a painted neck? Like why do all USA neck-thru Jackson's have a painted neck? and why do people order custom shop guitars with a painted neck? is there a disadvantage to having it 'gun-oiled'??? or does it merely come down to personal preference?

Just makes a guy wonder if there is in fact a good reason why every manufacturer with the exception of ESP paints all of their neck-thru's/set necks pretty much all the time, I mean PRS, Jackson, Dean, Gibson, etc, etc, etc, pretty much don't offer anything with an oiled neck, that isn't a bolt-on at least.
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Unfinished necks are more likely to be affected by humidity changes. Also, if dirt/grime goes into the neck's wood the only way to clean is to sand it.

Comment

It also looks nicer. Consider most USA are neck-thru. I would rather have an unfinished neck-thru. Some models i've seen are painted to the heel and back of head stock and leave the neck unfinished. Well, a minor clear or satin clear anyways. It just doesn't sell to the majority of Jackson buyers. You could always order a custom or maybe have it sanded from headstock to heal and recleared professionally

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
        Just makes a guy wonder if there is in fact a good reason why every manufacturer with the exception of ESP paints all of their neck-thru's/set necks pretty much all the time, I mean PRS, Jackson, Dean, Gibson, etc, etc, etc, pretty much don't offer anything with an oiled neck, that isn't a bolt-on at least.
        I feel the same as you on this gibsonmac- if you buy a used neck-through guitar and it has a few nicks in back of the neck where the paint has chipped off it can drive you crazy!! At least an unfinished oiled neck you can sand out ( or soldering iron out ) the dink or dint and apply more oil and your set.
        http://www.myspace.com/dannyjoecarterband
        http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyjoecarter

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
          Carvin offers oiled necks on their neck-thru, bolt-on, & set necks. Standard option.
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

Well, since Gibson set that standard.....

I can't understand why people have so much trouble with painted necks.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Well, since Gibson set that standard.....

I can't understand why people have so much trouble with painted necks.
              +1

Deal with it people.

There have been many "special runs" of Jacksons with unfinished necks. If you really need one of these then find one.

Comment

i prefer an unfinished neck, but have had NO problem adjusting to, and/or playing my soloists with painted necks. i just clean them regularly after gigs to get the sweat off. anymore, i don't even notice the paint.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Painted, unpainted, makes no difference to me. If you are being slowed down by the neck finish perhaps you should make less hand contact with the neck; too much hand contact at the neck is like driving with the emergency brake on.

Comment

Poly is a non-issue for me.

Lacquer, I will avoid if at all possible.

Comment

Here is my WR1 with an oiled neck. It seems like most players either prefer the oiled neck, or have no preference at all. I'd guess that painted necks are so common because they look good. +1 to avoiding lacquer necks

Comment

I would also guess that the maple used for oiled necks would have to be a higher grade as far as appearance goes. With painted necks, the paint would obviously hide any unsightly defects in the grain.

Comment

Oiled necks = slicker feel.

Painted necks = better stability, less vulnerable to "pretzel twist" tendencies from environmental factors.

Everything in life is a compromise.

I've had enough necks "move" on me that I prefer painted/clearcoated necks. And they've never "slowed me down" - that's all about preferences and/or adjusting your playing style. But none of that has stopped me from buying/ordering guitars with oiled necks, either.

Comment

You can take a little 000 steel wool and and lightly dull that clear on the back and it'll have a similar feel to the oiled necks.. ever so often, if it starts to feel sticky/tacky.. just hit it a few times with the steel wool.. the more you play.. it'll shine back up again.. the 000 is so fine, you'll have to rub for a long time to get any real damage to a thick hard clear coat.
                            DiMarzio Endorsee
                            www.dimarzio.com
                            Morley Endorsee
                            www.morley.com
                            "Intelli-Shred" author
                            www.myspace.com/intellishred
                            NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Originally posted by KevinDguitar View Post
                              You can take a little 000 steel wool and and lightly dull that clear on the back and it'll have a similar feel to the oiled necks.. ever so often, if it starts to feel sticky/tacky.. just hit it a few times with the steel wool.. the more you play.. it'll shine back up again.. the 000 is so fine, you'll have to rub for a long time to get any real damage to a thick hard clear coat.
                              +1. Or just take a Scotch Brite pad and scuff it up a little.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X