No announcement yet.

Reason for finished necks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me it just has to feel right regardless of it being painted or oiled. I like a satin smooth feel. Oiled necks give that but like Joe and other have said you can scuff a painted neck and to me that provides the feel I am looking for as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Well, since Gibson set that standard.....

I can't understand why people have so much trouble with painted necks.
      Yup, I LOVE painted gloss necks... Im the minority, but it just feels right. Im not a fan of most oiled or satin necks.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I grew up with necks that were either painted or clear-coated, so that's what feels right to me. Unfinished necks are fine, too, but not my preference.

Comment

I like my necks red, and girlie:
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Stability can't be that big of an issue with going oiled over painted can it? I mean Dinky necks are stable, San Dimas necks are stable right? they are oiled... does that have more to do with it being quarter-sawn maple than it not having paint?

So If I had a CS Jackson built with a mahogany oiled neck-thru, will I have stability problems? should I have them put in graphite rods for stability? Would it become moot if I chose 3-piece QS maple over mahogany?
            Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Let's put it this way. Of my oiled neck guitars, a few require truss rod adjustments to deal with the change of seasons. And the seasonal changes required on one or two of these guitars are enough to throw the set-up and action out of whack, requiring the tweaking to compensate. Nothing severe or troublesome, mind you. But enough of a change to otherwise turn a smokin' player to not so much, and vice versa. And, yet, some of the my other oiled neck guitars don't need seasonal tweaking at all.

...Every piece of wood is different, you know? And, mind you, I live in the northeast, so the seasonal / environmental changes here may be more radical than other parts of the country. But the bottom line is - on average - oiled necks are more susceptible to this environmental stuff than painted ones.

Of my guitars with painted/clearcoated necks? I can't recall tweaking any of those after initial set-up. All have been pretty much solid as a rock, set-up wise, regardless of season.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                Stability can't be that big of an issue with going oiled over painted can it? I mean Dinky necks are stable, San Dimas necks are stable right? they are oiled... does that have more to do with it being quarter-sawn maple than it not having paint?

So If I had a CS Jackson built with a mahogany oiled neck-thru, will I have stability problems? should I have them put in graphite rods for stability? Would it become moot if I chose 3-piece QS maple over mahogany?
                As long as you treat your guitar with care an oiled neck will be stable, especially if its quartersawn. Its just that finished necks are protected from the elements with the paint and gloss. Thats not to say oiled necks are bad in any way, just that finished has more resistance.

Comment

"deal with it people". lol! yes sir! mister communist sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyjoe Carter View Post
                    I feel the same as you on this gibsonmac- if you buy a used neck-through guitar and it has a few nicks in back of the neck where the paint has chipped off it can drive you crazy!! At least an unfinished oiled neck you can sand out ( or soldering iron out ) the dink or dint and apply more oil and your set.
                    I was just checking out your myspace, and it rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by fatstrat View Post
                      I was just checking out your myspace, and it rocks!
                      Man that was cool of you to stop by fatstrat; thanks for the kind words!
                      http://www.myspace.com/dannyjoecarterband
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyjoecarter

Comment

Working...
                      X