Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passives v. Actives??? Which do you prefer... EMG, Blackouts, Duncans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know that he doesn't care about tone. Watch any of the vids on youtube and all the guy talks about is tone. There's a reason there are 3 different models of blackouts.

Comment

Originally posted by gordomenz View Post
      I don't know that he doesn't care about tone. Watch any of the vids on youtube and all the guy talks about is tone. There's a reason there are 3 different models of blackouts.
      He also talks about how he had Ibenhad make all of is guitars from ply-wood up until the MTM1... so yeah he talks about tone, but not like EVH or Clapton or Slash. Not to rag on the guy or anything, I like Slipknot, but his quest for 'tone' is more like him being after the lowest, heaviest 'Thump' he can get.

The 3 blackout models are:
      -Blackouts (their standard active, super high output and 'sizzle')

-Blackouts Metal (crazy gain and output, even more 'sizzle' than reg. blackouts, even with the jumper off. The jumper can be hooked up to a mini toggle, which then functions like a EMG with a PA2 on it, sort of)

-Mick Thompson EMTY (kind of an empty, hollow, scooped tone, more akin to the EMG 81, sort of)
      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

That's why MT is who he is. He'll never be a EVH or Slash. But as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to modern heavy metal, he's up there. His playing blows my mind.

Comment

When it comes to selecting pickups we have to keep in mind in what guitar they will get installed and what type music they will be intended for. There is no such thing as a universal pickup. If someone was playing blues, country or surf I would advise this person against active humbuckers although in some instances active single coils could work. What active pickups do have besides high output and very low noise is the incredible clarity. My point is that there are tons of choices, but the ultimate goal of any decent guitar player to choose his/her gear based upon what works the best for the particular style of music. Tastes on the other hand are very different.
          I'm just doing the best I can with my limited skills...

Comment

I wish I had money to play around with gear instead of trading stuff in , and upgrading. I bought the KFK EMG set and put them in my DK2M. And to be honest, I didn't notice an improvement over the stock PUPs. Mind you, I don't have the greatest amplifier. I have a Marshall MG80RCD for the last couple of years that I picked up for $200 and a Pod XT Live. Most of the time I use the headphone port straight in to the pod. Obviously having a good amp is key to getting the tone you want. But then comes the question, which amp?? and not necessarily which pickups?

Comment

I like the sh6b/n in most guitars, but also use emg's 81/85 in other guitars. It seems like the passives allow for more expression in playing(organic sound, that can be nuanced from the fingers). However, I'm also using many other pup's as well.

I guess a lot of it depends on what style of metal your playing.
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I like all kinds of pickups and tried most all of them over the years.
                EMG's are OK Batrolini's are nice too and the Duncan LW's for actives.
                My old go to guitars have the older DiMarzio super "D"'s just something about them.
                Nice fat tone and work great in most any guitar.
                My 83 L.P. has the Shaw P.A.F's and they are perfect in that guitar.
                Lindy Fralin,Jim Rolph,WCR all make outstanding pick ups too.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well since we are on the subject I have a ? regarding SD Blackouts. I have newer style EMG's that are the plug and plays are the Blackouts the same and will the existing electronics the EMG's work with them? And are they that different from the EMG's?....I have always been a passive pup guy and not that long ago put actives in my KV2 and actives brought it to life as compared to the passive SD's that were in. I have passive pups in my SL1 that sound just fine in that guitar so they wont be geting swapped out. So for me I guess it just depends on the guitar.

Comment

My Kelly Std had EMGs installed when I got it (81/89 I think). I gave them a week before I couldn't take it anymore. Compressed, thin, and shrill were words that came to mind when I heard the pickups. Replaced them with Duncan Jazz and Distortion and couldn't be happier! My guitar has dynamics again!
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
                      Well since we are on the subject I have a ? regarding SD Blackouts. I have newer style EMG's that are the plug and plays are the Blackouts the same and will the existing electronics the EMG's work with them? And are they that different from the EMG's?....I have always been a passive pup guy and not that long ago put actives in my KV2 and actives brought it to life as compared to the passive SD's that were in. I have passive pups in my SL1 that sound just fine in that guitar so they wont be geting swapped out. So for me I guess it just depends on the guitar.
                      Blackouts were designed as the direct replacement for EMG pickups, so all electronics should work just fine and EMG quick connects should work with Blackouts as well. Blackouts are somewhat different from EMGs, according to SD website they have more headroom, more highs, lows and mids and I think they are louder too. Some people just swear by them and have replaced their EMGs with the Blackouts already.
                      I'm just doing the best I can with my limited skills...

Comment

I'm liking EMG's these days. Compared to the Duncans in MY DK2, the EMG's in my DK1 has much more bite and are more versatile to difference styles of music. The EMG's just seem more alive than the passive pups in my other guitars.

For passive though, I like Dimarzio super distortion.
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
                          Like the other guy said, they should plug right in.

I've used both EMG's and Blackouts extensively and have even had both in multiple guitars. Blackouts have more "chug" to them. To me they sound a lot dirtier than an 81, meaning that I had a lot of background noise while playing and the overall tone is more fizzy. What I really didn't like is how muddy BO's can be, I had them in a KE2 with an alder body that was already bass heavy and all that guitar would do was pure mud with those pups, now that KE2 has an 81/85 and MUCH better. They do however have slightly better mids than an 81 and pinch harmonics are super easy to grab. Blackouts are like "chug chug" where an 81 is more like "clack clack." Hope that makes a little bit of sense. EMG's are the tightest pickups you can get IMHO, and I much prefer the strong pick "clack" that you get from an 81. The clarity you get out of an 81 vs. blackouts is no contest.

I'm not saying don't try them, as it boils down to the guitar they are going into. Like I said, I fought muddy problems in my KE2 with them, but my BC Rich that is mahogany seems to get a long with them fine. Just depends on the guitar and what amp it's going into. Just make sure you BUY a blackout set, don't trade your EMG's for them as you might want them back.
                          Jackson USA guitars
                          BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                          Diezel VH4
                          Framus Cobra
                          VHT UL
                          Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                          Mesa MK3
                          Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            My Kelly Std had EMGs installed when I got it (81/89 I think). I gave them a week before I couldn't take it anymore. Compressed, thin, and shrill were words that came to mind when I heard the pickups.
                            This is the reason I bought a rack, but I'd rather spend my time playing than trying to set parameters. I'm fully a fan of passives, especially with some of the recording techniques I've been researching(where the 'swells' of a real pup can be influenced by delay and thickened for a fat 'organic sounding swell'. Actives 'clip' the signal in a certain "way". I can't explain it, but I would recommend you get at least 5 guitars for different reasons!

I'm also a guitaraholic
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

yeline23: Thanks for the info I appreciate it

RJF: Thanks for the added info on the sounds of the Blackouts and yeah I understand what you mean on the clack clack clack sound compared to the chug chug chug sound . And if I do decide to give them a try I plan on buying and not trading for them; I still have pups from 25 years ago.

One of the reasons I was asking bout the electronics cause if I dont like them in there then I havent wasted too much time having to swap junk in and out. And if they sound ok and I plan on keeping them I have a Dinky thats been crying for a pup change so I will just throw the EMG's in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X