Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time for noob to restring floating floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time for noob to restring floating floyd?

Hi, all silly noob question. I've always played Les Pauls . . . until I picked up a SL2H a couple months back. The SL2H came set up with heavy bottom light top D'Addarios (48ish - 09?). I've been trying to squeeze every ounce of life from the strings that came with the guitar, and I've been avoiding changing them. I play regular slinky (46-10), and I'm at the point where string change is a must. I've never changed strings on a Floyd.

Here's my question - It's Valentine's day and I'm taking wifey to dinner in about 6 hours. Is it foolhardy for me to try to change strings before I have to go to dinner? Beyond the string swap, I'm worried the change in string gauge will require some additional setup work. Local shop has a one week backlog for setups. 6 hour allotment to change strings on a Floyd for first time - doable or foolhardy? Thanks, all.

No way it will take six hours. Maybe an hour the first time. Once you get it down there is a process or routine that if followed helps you get it right every time.

(borrowed from the web):

-Reset all fine tuning screws located on the bridge to a middle position.
    -Remove the sixth string from your guitar. To do this, loosen the 'string-lock screw' located at the back side of your bridge using an allen key. The string-lock screws are the screws that run parallel to the body of your guitar.
    -After several counter-clockwise turns, the string should pop free from the bridge.
    -Using an allen key, loosen the 'nut clamping block' (the part of the guitar where the neck meets the headstock) that covers the sixth and fifth string.
    -Once the nut clamping block is loosened, you should be able to extract the string from the guitar.
    -Now, take your replacement string, and using wire cutters, clip off the ball at the bottom end of the string.
    -Put the freshly clipped end of the string into the saddle of the bridge.

-Examine the other strings to see where exactly the new string should go.
    -Push the string down into the saddle as far as possible. You may have to further loosen the string-lock screw.
    -Using your allen key, gently but firmly tighten the string-lock screw to hold the string in place (be careful not to over-tighten!) Be sure the string stays secure in the saddle while doing this.
    -Feed the string under the loosened nut clamping bolt, and under the 'string retainer' (the bar on the headstock that runs parallel to the nut).
    -Feed the string through the tuning peg, leaving some slack in the string. The string should wrap several times around the peg.
    -Bring the guitar into approximate tune. Cut away excess string.
    -Repeat the above steps for each of the remaining five strings. You may need to repeatedly re-tune the guitar.
    -When all six strings have been changed, tune the guitar as precisely as possible, then tighten the nut clamping bolts. If tuning changes, re-tune using the fine tuning screws.

Tips:

Getting the guitar in tune can be a problem initially. Be patient, and keep re-tuning the guitar.

Comment

Since it's your first time changing strings w/a floyd and you want to change string gauge you should set aside about two hours. Put a piece of tape across--or just measure--where the spring claw is before pulling the old strings. After putting on the new strings tightening the screws to this point will get you ball park to where you need to be. Heavier strings means putting the claw closer to the end of the route and if you only have two springs you might end up needing a third to get the base plate level with the body. BTW: Tighten and loosen the strings then the wood screws incrementally going back and forth between the two to avoid having the FR dig into the wood in the trem route. It's a pita but not especially difficult. Enjoy!...lol

Comment

Originally posted by satch0922 View Post
        (borrowed from the web):

-Remove the sixth string from your guitar. To do this, loosen the 'string-lock screw' located at the back side of your bridge using an allen key. The string-lock screws are the screws that run parallel to the body of your guitar.
        -After several counter-clockwise turns, the string should pop free from the bridge.
        And take your eye out!!!

Dunno which stuntman wrote that guide
        But Always
        1: unclamp at the nut
        2: slack the string
        3: loosen saddle
        4: take off string
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Check out this youtube vid, a quick way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQT9...044&feature=iv

Tune in the following order: first low E, high E, B, A, G and then D. Repeat again until they balance out (around 6 times or more). Otherwise you'll never get in tune due to the floating bridge. Thank me later

ps. You may need to check intonation again due to gauge change.

Comment

Originally posted by So.CA View Post
            Hi, all silly noob question. I've always played Les Pauls . . . until I picked up a SL2H a couple months back. The SL2H came set up with heavy bottom light top D'Addarios (48ish - 09?). I've been trying to squeeze every ounce of life from the strings that came with the guitar, and I've been avoiding changing them. I play regular slinky (46-10), and I'm at the point where string change is a must. I've never changed strings on a Floyd.

Here's my question - It's Valentine's day and I'm taking wifey to dinner in about 6 hours. Is it foolhardy for me to try to change strings before I have to go to dinner? Beyond the string swap, I'm worried the change in string gauge will require some additional setup work. Local shop has a one week backlog for setups. 6 hour allotment to change strings on a Floyd for first time - doable or foolhardy? Thanks, all.

Doable.....No need to pay someone to do a setup when it isnt that difficult to do yourself. There are plenty of good you tube vids out there to get you started and headed in the right direction, dont let it intimidated you as it can be a bit much at first. It might take you an hour to do or it might take you five, but dont give up you can do it!! And when your done and you FINALLY get it in tune and jamming away you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself and knowing that you saved yourself some $$$ for more gear Good luck and take your time, oh if you dont have one get a string winder it will cut your restring time by a third at least

Comment

Now a Bigsby trem might take over an hour...

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
                if you dont have one get a string winder it will cut your restring time by a third at least
                +1 Great tool--I always use it when I change strings.

Comment

Thanks

Great input - thank you. After all these years of tune-o-matics, the Floyd is just downright scary to me. Looks like somthing could pop out and take an eye with it. The thing has more screws and levers than all of my past guitars combined. And the "floating" aspect is very David Copperfield-ish to me. Took the safe route, had a good night last night with my wife, I'll be working on the gittar today. Thanks again.

Comment

Took me about two hours the first time. The setup was way off when I started, plus I gave everything a thorough cleaning while I had the strings off too. I learned not to use steel wool to derust the pickup pole pieces. lol
                    |My CSG gallery|
                    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Just make sure to read Nightbat's instructions again!!! Always slack the sting before attempting to remove it!

Comment

Originally posted by satch0922 View Post
                        No way it will take six hours. Maybe an hour the first time. Once you get it down there is a process or routine that if followed helps you get it right every time.

(borrowed from the web):

-Using an allen key, loosen the 'nut clamping block' (the part of the guitar where the neck meets the headstock) that covers the sixth and fifth string.
                        -Once the nut clamping block is loosened, you should be able to extract the string from the guitar.
                        -Now, take your replacement string, and using wire cutters, clip off the ball at the bottom end of the string.
                        -Put the freshly clipped end of the string into the saddle of the bridge.

-Examine the other strings to see where exactly the new string should go.
                        -Push the string down into the saddle as far as possible. You may have to further loosen the string-lock screw.
                        -Using your allen key, gently but firmly tighten the string-lock screw to hold the string in place (be careful not to over-tighten!) Be sure the string stays secure in the saddle while doing this.
                        -Feed the string under the loosened nut clamping bolt, and under the 'string retainer' (the bar on the headstock that runs parallel to the nut).
                        -Feed the string through the tuning peg, leaving some slack in the string. The string should wrap several times around the peg.
                        -Bring the guitar into approximate tune. Cut away excess string.
                        -Repeat the above steps for each of the remaining five strings. You may need to repeatedly re-tune the guitar.
                        -When all six strings have been changed, tune the guitar as precisely as possible,

Properly stretch the strings
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvDdYYs0Zc

Then tighten the nut clamping bolts. If tuning changes, re-tune using the fine tuning screws.

Tips:

Getting the guitar in tune can be a problem initially. Be patient, and keep re-tuning the guitar.
                        Gotta properly stretch those strings!

Comment

Great input - thank you. After all these years of tune-o-matics, the Floyd is just downright scary to me. Looks like somthing could pop out and take an eye with it. The thing has more screws and levers than all of my past guitars combined. And the "floating" aspect is very David Copperfield-ish to me. Took the safe route, had a good night last night with my wife, I'll be working on the gittar today. Thanks again.
                          Want a real challenge?

Take all the strings off before putting a new set on!
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thanks all, took about an hour total, but done! Changing the strings took about twenty minutes, tuning took another forty or so. Had to slightly adjust the spring clamp screws, but it all came together once I made the clamp adjustment. No eye injuries, but I did pinch my finger under the trem cavity as I was finger tightening a string clamp screw with one hand and lackadaisically released pressure on the trem bar with the other hand. Oh yah, also incorrectly put 2 of the 3 locking nuts back on 90* rotated from where they should have been, but hey, you live and you learn. This all seems silly now, but thanks again for all the suggestions, was VERY helpful (especially order to change strings!). It's amazing how much pleasure you can get in life from learning how to do just simple little things here and there.

Comment

Thanks all, took about an hour total, but done! Changing the strings took about twenty minutes, tuning took another forty or so. Had to slightly adjust the spring clamp screws, but it all came together once I made the clamp adjustment. No eye injuries, but I did pinch my finger under the trem cavity as I was finger tightening a string clamp screw with one hand and lackadaisically released pressure on the trem bar with the other hand. Oh yah, also incorrectly put 2 of the 3 locking nuts back on 90* rotated from where they should have been, but hey, you live and you learn. This all seems silly now, but thanks again for all the suggestions, was VERY helpful (especially order to change strings!). It's amazing how much pleasure you can get in life from learning how to do just simple little things here and there.
                              People tell you that you need to just do one string at a time, but I don't. I like to clean around the pickups and in between them and fully wipe down and polish the finish. All that pick dust makes a mess! Not to mention I clean and condition my fretboard at every string change, you will be suprised how much dirt gets pushed into the fretboard.

Get all the old strings out and just let the floyd bottom out against the body. Once you've got the guitar all cleaned and polished, just grab the trem bar, level out the bridge, and start reinstalling the new strings. People act like you'll have a disaster on your hands if you don't do one string at a time.......
                              Jackson USA guitars
                              BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                              Diezel VH4
                              Framus Cobra
                              VHT UL
                              Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                              Mesa MK3
                              Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Working...
                              X