Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time for noob to restring floating floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually stuff a big pink eraser under the recessed floyd to keep it somewhat in place during string changes.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
      I usually stuff a big pink eraser under the recessed floyd to keep it somewhat in place during string changes.
      +1
      I can restring and tune a FR if a string rips in about 3-5min, maybe even faster.
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

+2 to the big pink eraser.

Another thing that works great, if you find the "floyd float tune dance of death" to be tedious (no, it won't always take you 40 minutes). Get a Tremol-No to replace the claw. When it's time to swap strings, lock the Tremol No with the bridge at the optimal float, nice and parallel to the body. Get your strings on & tune.

Usually with a floating floyd the problem is you have several variables that move contingent on what other variables move. Tighten a string, you pull against the springs, the bridge shifts. Tighten the next string, the one you just did that was in tune is now flat. Etc.

Because the Tremol-No is locked you don't have to deal with the strings moving the bridge & therefore de-tuning every string you tuned, particularly when you are working low E & A. One variable is locked.

Works best of course if you're using the same brand of strings.

Tune to pitch, unlock the Tremol-No, do some very slight fine tuning & you're done.

Another simple thing that helps- Tune from low E to high E and tune everything sharp. By the time you get down to the high E, the tension will likely have pulled them closer to pitch. My first run down the strings I usually pull the E all the way to an F# and it's still flat by the time I'm done. Gets you alot closer tho.
        Last edited by Vass; 02-16-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Erasers, winders, trem-o-blows, bah!

Here's what I do:

1) Rip off my shirt, flex pecs (this one's for the ladies)
          2) Rip off all 6 strings with a single He-Man pull
          3) Watch the Floyd go soaring across the room, hopefully striking the bass player in the face (I use 15 springs on my Floyds, so...)
          4) Contemplate searching for Floyd and re-stringing up guitar, but get interrupted by a hottie as a result of #1
          5) Hook up with hottie from #4
          6) ...
          7) What was I supposed to be working on again?

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
            Another simple thing that helps- Tune from low E to high E and tune everything sharp. By the time you get down to the high E, the tension will likely have pulled them closer to pitch. My first run down the strings I usually pull the E all the way to an F# and it's still flat by the time I'm done. Gets you alot closer tho.
            This is what I've been doing. It's a big help, too.

Comment

Working...
            X