DK2M Project: Mike Learn "Alien"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M Project: Mike Learn "Alien"

Last summer, I bought a DK2M as a project guitar, but ended up not finding anything that really needed changing. After procrastinating for months, I finally shipped it off to Mike Learn for a graphic to appease my inner Giger/Aliens fanboy. After a lot of back-and-forth discussions about placement, background and so on, this is the result:

(Pardon my horrendous camera on the zoom shot)

Not sure if it will remain a DK2M long-term, or if I'll seek out an old Pro neck for MOP inlays and binding, but right now, it's off to the shop for a proper setup.
    sigpic

Looks great.

I think the contrast looks good with the DK2M neck.

Get someone to photoshop in a DK1 neck to see how it would look.

Comment

I need to find a guitar body to have this painted!
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Nice! I don't know if I'd trust any shop for a set up with that nice and new custom finish.

Comment

If it is any relief, I can tear down the guitars and set them up too. Thanks for the business Ryan!! That guitar was a blast.
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

That looks great. Congrats.
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

That looks awesome. Congrats.

Comment

Coolness

Looks fantastic....Mike does great work!

Great guy and very reasonable prices too.

Congrats.
                Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                  Nice! I don't know if I'd trust any shop for a set up with that nice and new custom finish.
                  Fortunately, there is a shop near here (Capitol Guitars) that does really good work. They've did a pickup swap in my Dan Lawrence snakeskin Dinky, and a lot of other stuff with my "normal" guitars. They're starting to get more USA Jacksons now, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of Mike's other graphics appear there.

I didn't even let the UPS driver get out of his truck. Had an ambush set up and everything.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                    Last summer, I bought a DK2M as a project guitar, but ended up not finding anything that really needed changing. After procrastinating for months, I finally shipped it off to Mike Learn for a graphic to appease my inner Giger/Aliens fanboy. After a lot of back-and-forth discussions about placement, background and so on, this is the result:

Not sure if it will remain a DK2M long-term, or if I'll seek out an old Pro neck for MOP inlays and binding, but right now, it's off to the shop for a proper setup.
                    Man I love it! What did it cost you for the paint job?
                    How much, if I may ask-
                    http://www.myspace.com/dannyjoecarterband
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/dannyjoecarter

Comment

You can PM me for a quote if you like.
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Looks great.

I think the contrast looks good with the DK2M neck.

Get someone to photoshop in a DK1 neck to see how it would look.
                        Not the best job, but you get the jist of it. Sorry the headstock doesn't match.

"Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Looks great. Killer paint job by Mike. But I like the maple neck and black inlays of the DK2M neck better.

Comment

Looks much better with an ebony board/MOP inlays.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Needs strings!
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X