EMG Pickup upgrade question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Pickup upgrade question...

I'm a beginner self taught and have been playing for almost a year now religiously mostly Metal Metallica, Disturbed, A7X ect...I play for my own interest not looking to be in a band but I love the challenge that guitars have to offer...I currently own a JS1 and would like to upgrade to something better but my budget range is around $250-$300 at the moment...I was looking into the JS30DK that I saw for around $250. I also called my local shop and was told that I can upgrade the stock pickups on the JS1 to EMG 81/85 Zak Wylde set for $220 installed...My question is that is it worth upgrading the JS1 since its a low end model and beginner guitar or snatch up the JS30DK and work with that for the moment and get better until I can purchase a better model?....I need Help from knowledgable guitarists please lol

In a low end model I would say no to the pick-up swap, try saving up abit more for the DX10D if possible, if not I would say the one of the new JS series dinkies they shown at namm.
    Gear

Jackson DXMG
    Jackson JS30RR
    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
    Blackstar HT5H
    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
    Marshall JCM 800 2203
    Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Don't upgrade a cheap guitar. In the end, it's a cheap guitar with upgrades.

Now, if it's a really great guitar with a few cheap parts, that's one thing, but that's not what I understand the JS series to be... They are good beginner guitars but not worth upgrading.

Comment

+1... go for the 'x' series like a dx10d, or better yet DXMG that would last you years and you would NOT outgrow it skill-wise, look at the classifieds here, I think there is a blue Dinky with case in your budget... or else check ebay
        Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

I suggest you save up just a little more and get the DKMG(T). Save about 350$ and you should be able to catch a good deal on a used one. It has the pickups you want already and it'll have a few extra features for you. Like rockmaple neck and binding on the neck/headstock

Comment

if you're dead set on the emg's look into Dragonfire active pups, 25k pots and a stereo jack. It will cost about the same as just 1 emg pup.

If you're not dead set on actives, I'd scour ebay for a used Jackson DK2.

For a little more, you could get this soloist copy-

Comment

Much appreciated guys....I'm gonna research the "x" series actually just saw a Black on Black DX10D on ebay running $370 in pretty good condition I put an offer on it so lets see how that turns out

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                +1... go for the 'x' series like a dx10d, or better yet DXMG that would last you years and you would NOT outgrow it skill-wise, look at the classifieds here, I think there is a blue Dinky with case in your budget... or else check ebay
                Here's the listing on Classifieds. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103552
                My gear
                87 Charvel Model 6
                86 Charvel Model 4
                93 Jackson RR EX
                93 Jackson Kelly STD
                88 Ibanez RG560
                99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Working...
                X