Difference In Size Between Soloist and Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference In Size Between Soloist and Dinky

I snagged a Jackson hardshell case off Ebay that was listed as being for a Soloist/Dinky. Upon receiving it I discovered that neither of my Soloists fit. My intention was to put my SL3 in this case and then use the SKB that came factory with it for my Strat. I really wanted a case that said Jackson on it (I'm OCD about stuff like this). In any case I have a Dinky body laying around that I tried to fit in as well and even it is too big. It looks like the top insert is much bigger than the bottom perhaps it was changed? The bottom looks like it might fit like an Ibanez RG or something. Was there a difference in body sizes over the years or did somebody raid the original bottom insert and then glue in a newer small one?
    1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
    2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
    2008 Satin Black SL3
    2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
    2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Mmm.... Strat won't fit in a Dinky case and a Dinky won't fit in a Soloist case (because of the heel shape) unless it's an old-school Soloist case (when they had the bigger heel) but AFAIK the size hasn't ever changed.

Maybe someone just "thought" it would fit? I sold a Dinky case to a guy on here and we were both disappointed to find his Dinky did not fit... I think because the case was for a guitar with the angle-cut contoured heel and his wasn't a contoured heel.

Comment

My Strat fits very nicely in my SL3 case. I just thought it odd that an Jackson logo'd hardshell case would fit a Dinky. Did they make another Strat shaped guitar that was even smaller than the Dinky? The body is just physically too long. If I get the front half of the Dinky body in then the back overhangs the insert and if I get the back in the horns arent even close.
      1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
      2008 Satin Black SL3

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

I'd hafta see a pic, but a padded case should fit snugly. Granted I've never had a production-model case that fit the intended guitar snugly (except for the KVX10, which is cut specifically for the KV body), but I have had a case that a Dinky or Fusion fit better in than a Soloist, but that was more of an issue at the head than the body.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Is it possible that the case was for a Stealth or some type of SLS shape? Just a thought. I haven't owned either one to know what case they have, but that might account for the difference. There were a few different shapes that were "kinda dinky", including one with really short horns. It's in the catalogs, but I forget what year. Any way to put up a pic or two?
          Last edited by dg; 02-18-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Didn't think of that, but yeah, those bodies were really small.

Might also be a JJ case. Only case I found that would fit an NASL (SLS) comfortably. Dinky/SL cases were too floppy.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Here's the weird one with short horns I was thinking about. SDK1:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....560&fullsize=1

No idea how form-fit the cases would've been for something like that. Bottom line, though, it can be a crap shoot when you buy a used case online. Even if you ask a lot of questions, the seller may not know exactly what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Sukkoi19 View Post
                My Strat fits very nicely in my SL3 case. I just thought it odd that an Jackson logo'd hardshell case would fit a Dinky. Did they make another Strat shaped guitar that was even smaller than the Dinky? The body is just physically too long. If I get the front half of the Dinky body in then the back overhangs the insert and if I get the back in the horns arent even close.
                Yeah, I don't really know what you've got, but a Strat will not fit in a "real" Soloist case, like an SL1 or SL2H comes with. The body is way too big. :dunno:

Comment

Damnit the wife has the camera in Kuwait until the end of the month otherwise I would post a pic. Here are the listing pics:

1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                  2008 Satin Black SL3

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    Yeah, I don't really know what you've got, but a Strat will not fit in a "real" Soloist case, like an SL1 or SL2H comes with. The body is way too big. :dunno:
                    Neither of my Soloists had a Jackson case with them. The Sam Ash didn't come with a case so it looks like the previous owner went out and bought a really nice metal latched SKB for it. The SL3 has a plastic latched SKB which I think is factory. Neither have any Jackson logo on them. Most likely that is why my Strat had no problems fitting.
                    1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                    2008 Satin Black SL3

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

When you try to put your guitar in, is there a specific part of the body that won't fit, like the horns, or is it too small all the way around? In that pic, the lower horn area looks much shorter in the bottom half of the case than in the top half.

Comment

If I fit the back both the horns overlap and do not fit. The neck heel area seems to large as well.
                        1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                        2008 Satin Black SL3

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Oh, I get ya now I think.

I have a "generic/universal" SKB that I got with my Sam Ash Soloist that FIT, but I didn't think fit well enough (angled peghead touching the bottom of the case) and THAT case fits a Strat just great - that's what I've got in it right now, my H/S hardtail Warmoth.

Comment

I have a sls and a sl2h both with the original cases and the sl2h won't fit in the sls case. The sls fits in the sl2h case - sort of - you have to put something under it to support he body since it's slimmer then the sl2h. When the cases are both open and empty they look pretty much identical but the foam inserts are different. I don't have a dinky to try but if you send me yours to try I'd be more then happy to try it out - although I have a huge backlog of honey-do projects so it might be a couple years before I get to it and can send it back to you

Comment

Looks like an sls case to me kinda shallow for the std dinky body.Too new to be a stealth case
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X