early 90's imports "good" basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early 90's imports "good" basswood

I have a DR that is basswood and sounds amazing, the body being basswood with a maple "top." I have no clue if its a veneer or cap (any one know?), but none the less I have no problems with the wood as much as it can affect the tone. I have heard about "good" basswood and "bad" basswood, the later giving the timber a crappy name. Since the early 90's Jacksons were such good quality would it be safe to assume they used the better quality wood?

Well there was a few over seas companies making guitars out of woods that were called basswood. But were ot basswood. At least not the same species as real basswood.
    giving basswood a bad rap. When in actuality basswood is a pretty decent wood and some of the best sounding guitars ive owned have been basswood, my wolfgang for one, Model 1-4 are basswood. Its a soft wood and dents easily so just be careful with it. As for the top It's a veneer about a 16th of an inch thick. It is real flamed maple just really thin. It's merely for cosmetic reasons and doesnt effect tone at all. Not a bad thing tho. Hope that helps
    Gil

Comment

do you think this one ('93) is the real stuff? Thanks for the info on the top. Its far too "pretty" for me. Kind of want to either trade it or paint it. I dont think its worth much though. The rest of the guitar is fantastic. And ya I have more than a few dents in my ibanez. Thanks for clearing that up a bit

Comment

If the paint is fine why paint it or cover the nice top.
        No shame in a nice looking guitar.
        Yes the early 90's professionals are the shit trust me awesome guitars.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Basswood guitars vary a lot, I've found. I'm not sure it's a matter of 'one company versus the other'. However, they all disappear in a mix or sound two-dimensional unless you EQ the living daylights out of them. Basswood works a lot better if you add a real (i.e., 1/4" or thicker) maple top in order to provide some high-end "spank".

Comment

I've always wondered if it's basswood like the fish or basswood like the instrument.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              I've always wondered if it's basswood like the fish or basswood like the instrument.
              Bass as in the name of the fish.

any of several New World lindens; especially : linden; the straight-grained soft white wood of a basswood… See the full definition
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                which makes sense when you think of the common spelling:

(b)asswood

Hail yesterday

Comment

When it comes to recording, my basswood guitars have been the most consistent and are what I usually choose. With the right pickup, basswood can sound great, but it's just not a very attractive wood. Even then, there are exceptions, especially with the proper stain.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                    When it comes to recording, my basswood guitars have been the most consistent and are what I usually choose. With the right pickup, basswood can sound great, but it's just not a very attractive wood. Even then, there are exceptions, especially with the proper stain.
                    I saw a higher end ESP with a black stain on...they should have used alder or a solid color. I have had quite a few guitars, and this probably sounds better than all of them to my ears.

Comment

Working...
                    X