HELP! white shit in the ebony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! white shit in the ebony

OK, so I just oiled the shit out of a USA Soloist (lemon-oil) and a few days later Ive got white shit in the grain of the ebony all over the place... WTF happened? this has never happened before, Its the same bottle of 65 lemon oil I've had for years... I did have an Oasis humidifier in the case with it... could that have somehow caused this, it is new to the equation, possibly those little gel crystal things???

the board looks dried out real bad, I really have no clue... How can I fix this by the way?
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

clean the board with Naptha (premium zippo fluid) then fret doctor bore oil. http://www.beafifer.com/
    don't use lemon oil. most of it is just scented mineral oil.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
      clean the board with Naptha (premium zippo fluid) then fret doctor bore oil. http://www.beafifer.com/
      don't use lemon oil. most of it is just scented mineral oil.
      +1000

Note to self: Don't buy axes from Gibsonmac

Seriously, what do you mean by "Oiled the shit out of it?"

I use a tiny bit of doctor bore oil not more than once a year, and usually two years between conditioning. If you use a lot of oil your fretboard will become a grease track, and you'll have frets lifting / falling out...
      Last edited by DonP; 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

You don't need to "oil the shit" out of your fretboard. A light coat of mineral oil rubbed in a couple of times a year is all you need.

Comment

Maybe you can snort that white stuff...
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Maybe you can snort that white stuff...
            tried it, it just burned alot:think:

Comment

That means it's working!
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                +1000

Note to self: Don't buy axes from Gibsonmac

Seriously, what do you mean by "Oiled the shit out of it?"

I use a tiny bit of doctor bore oil not more than once a year, and usually two years between conditioning. If you use a lot of oil your fretboard will become a grease track, and you'll have frets lifting / falling out...
                You mean my fingerboard is not supposed to be an "oil sponge"?

Comment

but what caused the White shit in the grain, and how do I get it out... I've followed the same method I've always used and this has never happened, EXCEPT I used Dunlop fretboard prep (that rubbing alcohol type stuff) and the new humidifier, so its gotta be one of those two right?

Comment

What kind of towelling did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      That means it's working!

'Loaded Weapon'
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

First thing I would do would be to take a SMALL amount of oil and apply to a fret and see if it sucks it up like a sponge, if does then your board is dry, if it just kinda sits on there then you have enough or too much and then treat accordingly.

My guess is that by you putting the Oasis humidifer in the case you've introduced too MUCH moisture into the equation due to the fact that this winter has been pretty dry up in your neck of the woods. Now hang with me as I try to explain this.....

Down in my neck of the woods in the late fall and late winter the weather changes can be pretty drastic it can go from being 40 and dry as hell to 75 and humid as hell in a very short time. Now when that happens certain areas of my house that are wood then start to sweat amd when the humidity drops down and the sweat evaporates it leaves a nice white mark.......

This may be an extreme example but I hope you get the point. I guess the best thing to do is to make SMALL changes not going from one extreme to another, and from the info that your giving this makes the most sense to me.

Now I use a pressure washer every spring to get it off but I dont suggest that for your fret board and it might be the minerals in the wood or in the water; but that I dont know for sure.

Me myself I would ditch the Oasis at this point and try what I said above but either way I would clean it and wipe it down good and conditon it and see if that helps. My SL1 was looking pretty bad so I cleaned it twice and wiped it down real good and the conditoned it twice and it looks great now so good luck!! I use the Dunlop 65 system and have no problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                          but what caused the White shit in the grain, and how do I get it out... I've followed the same method I've always used and this has never happened, EXCEPT I used Dunlop fretboard prep (that rubbing alcohol type stuff) and the new humidifier, so its gotta be one of those two right?
                          I'm pretty sure the white in the grain is hardened wax. Somehow you mixed stuff together that caused a chemical reaction and solidified the oil into wax.

Use Naptha and a toothbrush to clean it out. Maybe a hot blow dryer will help as well.

Comment

double post doh
                            Last edited by m2pmd70; 02-26-2010, 08:01 PM.
                            |My CSG gallery|
                            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Color me disappointed. By the thread title I expected something inter-racial and NSFW.
                              |My CSG gallery|
                              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Working...
                              X