Fusion/Dinky neck swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion/Dinky neck swap...

This should probably be in the Tech Tips. I probably should also be able to search for this but I'm having trouble finding the info.

Simple question... Are the Fusion dinky bodies the same as the DK1 bodies as far as the distance from the bridge to the heel?

In other words, can you take a Dinky neck and put it on a Fusion, and will it intonate?

Or, can you take a Fusion neck and put it on a Dinky, and will it intonate?

:think:

I swear one of you genius mutters posted that this worked. I don't have my Fusion anymore to measure it.

Depends on the Dinky model.
    A 24 fret Dinky is 25.5 scale
    The Fusion is 24.75 scale.
    You will not be able to swap the necks.

Now rumor has you can take a neck from a 22 fret Dinky 25.5 scale guitar and put it on Fusion and it will intonate.
    But I've never tried it.
    -Rick

Comment

Cool, cool.

Like, I know you can't put a 24-fret 25.5" scale Dinky neck on a 22-fret 25.5" scale Dinky body.

But, I was thinking that the bridge was moved up a little on the Fusions like it would be on the 24-fret Dinky (since the 24th fret overhangs instead of the 22nd on the 24-fret Dinkys) so it might work.

This is related to the snakeskin "Dinky" that I posted about in E-fraid. It's been pointed out that it is probably a fusion (or, if it's an early Dinky, it would be a 22-fret Dinky).

I'm thinking the guitar doesn't intonate/won't intonate, and based on what you're saying, it seems real likely.

Comment

Here's some info that might help....

Start from post 17 and work your way down.
        -Rick

Comment

I did read that earlier today... Didn't address the exact situation but Newc and DonP's posts raised enough red flags, I think I've made up my mind to pass on it since no one's popped up with an "I did it, and it works fine!"

I would like to have the neck off of it, but if it's been plugged and re-drilled, forget it. And then it's possible I'm stuck with a '91 USA Fusion body and no neck to go with it.

Also studying the bridge pic up close it looks "fishy" as far as the saddle arrangement and I have trouble believing the intonation is correct (the A string saddle is back quite a ways from the E saddle...)

I don't want to buy a headache that big.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Now rumor has you can take a neck from a 22 fret Dinky 25.5 scale guitar and put it on Fusion and it will intonate.
            But I've never tried it.
            I had a Charvel 475DLX that someone gave me that had a Fusion neck on it. Besides stumping me on what it was for a while, I never could get it to intonate.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

can't you just route the heel to make the scale length correct? once you get it to the proper scale (from nut to trem post) it should intonate fine.

Comment

Ah, sure... With enough glue and popsicle sticks, anything can work.

Comment

I know this thread is old but I tried something today that I thought I'd share. I have a charvel SDK 24.75 scale and recently bought a template for a Dinky body. They were a perfect match..... Now I must pull apart a fusion and try it again.

Comment

Working...
                  X