First A Good Amp or a Good Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First A Good Amp or a Good Guitar?

I have a DK2 MIJ dinky with Seymour Duncans STK-2 and JB running throung a Randall RX120RH Half Stack, It sounds very well but I was thinking about buying a USA Soloist and a Peavey 5150 (or a 6505+)

Which one should I choose at first? Amp or guitar? bearing in mind that it will pass a year between the purchase of one and the other, Which purchase would improve more my sound?

The amp. The guitar and pickups are plenty good enough to sound great with a decent amp.
    A 'better' guitar won't make a shitty amp sound good, but a good amp will do wonders with a low end guitar.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      The amp. The guitar and pickups are plenty good enough to sound great with a decent amp.
      A 'better' guitar won't make a shitty amp sound good, but a good amp will do wonders with a low end guitar.
      +1
      2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
      2007 DK2m White Bengal
      88 Jackson limited edition
      Charvel Preditor
      PS-3T Rhoads Performer
      Jackson DX10D
      3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
      4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
      Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
      Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

Buy the 5150

Comment

The DK2 is a decent player - unless you got a lemon. So get an amp if you need one.

Me? I've never spent uber $$$ on an amp, because I don't think you need to. I'd rather have a $2K guitar and my $400 Boogie, Marshall Class 5 and pedals.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Always buy a great amp first, the amp is the most crucial component by far to your sound.
            Jackson USA guitars
            BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
            Diezel VH4
            Framus Cobra
            VHT UL
            Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
            Mesa MK3
            Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Originally posted by Slik_Karl View Post
              +1
              +Another

That DK2 is no SOB POS MIC piece of firewood, p'ups are already upgraded, hardware will last for quite a while,
              I would go for a different amp first
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Get the amp!!! I love my 5150 combo.
                ---RCM78
                >>>I'm Fucking Rich!!!<<<

Comment

I agree w everyone here. If you have everything that's average, the next thing to upgrade is the amp/speakers. This will improve your sound the most. Or in my case, more lessons!
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    The DK2 is a decent player - unless you got a lemon. So get an amp if you need one.

Me? I've never spent uber $$$ on an amp, because I don't think you need to. I'd rather have a $2K guitar and my $400 Boogie, Marshall Class 5 and pedals.

$400 Boogie? please explain

Comment

Originally posted by steviekool View Post
                      $400 Boogie? please explain
                      Used amps are your friend. I got my Mk II for $400 on sale. Big box stores are the best places for chump prices on Boogies because no one in the store will know how to make it sound good.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        Used amps are your friend. I got my Mk II for $400 on sale. Big box stores are the best places for chump prices on Boogies because no one in the store will know how to make it sound good.
                        I have noticed that. How do you make it sound good, Mr. Boogie Expert?
                        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
                          I have noticed that. How do you make it sound good, Mr. Boogie Expert?
                          You get a Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            You get a Marshall
                            Touche. Although I prefer Peavey.
                            I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Amp first, definitely. A great guitar will sound like crap through a bad amp. A bad guitar will sound good through a great amp.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X