Do you like scalloped necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like scalloped necks?

I just bought a Charvel SD2 and I'm planning on getting the neck scalloped. I was wondering 1) if anyone likes scalloped necks? and 2) What kind of scallop should I go for- full scallop or half scallop? Yngwie or Blackmore style?
    Yes
    30.23%
    No
    25.58%
    Full scallop
    11.63%
    Half scallop
    16.28%
    Yngwie Style
    13.95%
    Richie Blackmore style
    2.33%

well... i dont know.. but i was so willing to find out, i sacrificed my fusion deluxe fretboard to sanding paper.. 2 years later it's still not finished, cos i'm either too busy to do it, find out i dont have the right stuff at home, or too lazy :P
    now i'm waiting for it to get warmer so i can finish the guitar, cos i miss playing it.

i went for full scallops, not as deep as on yngwies guitars, but it should be enough
    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

I like it Steve Vai style. Only on the last 4 frets because i agree i mostly use them for bending up high and i found it did make the bending a little easier and sounded nice too. You don't have that option so i guess il just click yes

Comment

Never tried it, always wanted to. No poll option for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          Never tried it, always wanted to. No poll option for that.
          I haven't tried a progressive scallop neck like blackmore uses but I'm curious. Ive played the Yngwie strats and always liked them. I dunno which to go for???

(are you rocking a new avatar?)
          Last edited by The Rossness; 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I'd try it on a cheapass guitar but not my expensive stuff.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              I'd try it on a cheapass guitar but not my expensive stuff.
              Considering I paid DK2M money for my SD2, it could be considered a cheap guitar. I'm sending the neck out to get scalloped. I'm not doing the job myself. I'm probably sending the body to mike learn for some paint too.

Comment

I like jumbo frets. Never had a scalloped neck, so I don't know.

Comment

takes getting use to... don't really know where I stand, they are different, I do like you can bend without bending(pressing harder on the strings)
                  Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

scalloped necks are all I've played as my main guitars for almost 20 years now. a non scalloped guitar to me seems unfinished now. I'll upload some pics. ask yourself a few questions first. do you have trouble bending strings? really getting under them? do you play hard? with a lot of pressure? are you constantly breaking strings? if yes to a few of these then a scalloped neck would definitely benefit you. the plus' to a scalloped neck are-
                    lighter fretting. the lack of wood literally forces you to lighten your touch, therefore making you play with less force, and it actually makes you play faster since you use less pressure.
                    you have no choice but to hit the note, or not! so your accuracy improves.
                    bends and vibrato are stupidly easy.
                    your frets last forever! since they never fret out against wood.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I like jumbo frets. Never had a scalloped neck, so I don't know.
                      jumbo frets are the closest thing to scalloped necks. that's another clue for you. if you really like the feel and playability of jumbo's then you'll love scallops.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                        I haven't tried a progressive scallop neck like blackmore uses but I'm curious. Ive played the Yngwie strats and always liked them. I dunno which to go for???

(are you rocking a new avatar?)
                        the blackmore frets to me are kinda stupid. they feel just like an yngwie neck when sliding up the neck, but when sliding down i tend to "catch" on the wood. and it's looks like shit cosmetically too. it looks like Ritchie wasn't 100% committed when he did it! lol.

Comment

Eh, The only scallops I've had were done by me and they were only on 21-24 frets to stop fretting out. I don't mind them but don't need them. I don't think I could stand a full board scalloped though.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by fatstrat View Post
                            scalloped necks are all I've played as my main guitars for almost 20 years now. a non scalloped guitar to me seems unfinished now. I'll upload some pics. ask yourself a few questions first. do you have trouble bending strings? really getting under them? do you play hard? with a lot of pressure? are you constantly breaking strings? if yes to a few of these then a scalloped neck would definitely benefit you. the plus' to a scalloped neck are-
                            lighter fretting. the lack of wood literally forces you to lighten your touch, therefore making you play with less force, and it actually makes you play faster since you use less pressure.
                            you have no choice but to hit the note, or not! so your accuracy improves.
                            bends and vibrato are stupidly easy.
                            your frets last forever! since they never fret out against wood.
                            I'm going to end up getting the yngwie style full scallops. there's a service on ebay I'm going to send the neck to-

Comment

I've played guitars with them a few times and they just feel weird to me. Granted I have none of the issues that fatstrat mentions. And I haven't spent hours or days with one, so if I did, maybe my opinion would change. But as it stands right now I don't like them. I like to feel something under my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X