Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a new San Dimas or an 80's, 90's Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a new San Dimas or an 80's, 90's Charvel?

I have wanted to buy a Charvel for a while, a couple of years, and at first my problem was the So-Cal or San Dimas Style 1 2H, I chose the San Dimas but now I've been thinking should I get a late 80's, early 90's "toorhpaste era" Charvel? :think: I like the look of them, never played any like the 275, 375, 475, 650 etc. unfortunately. So I'll ask all you guys who have a good experience with Charvel guitars, in your opinion should I go for the new Charvel San Dimas Style 1 2H or a late 80's, early 90's "toothpaste era" Charvel?

Thanks.
    2002 Classical Acoustic
    2003 Cruiser by Crafter Strat
    2003 B.C. Rich Mockingbird "Firebreather" L.E.
    2005 Jackson DKMG
    2003 Fender Stratocaster Candy Apple Red Satin L.E.
    2008 Ibanez JS100
    2009 B.C. Rick KKV
    2009 Ibanez RG350MYE L.E.
    2005 Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
    1989 Charvel 375 DLX
    2010 Jackson JS30KV
    2010 Fender JR Telecaster
    2003 Fender Jag-Stang
    2010 Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
    1988 Charvel Model 4
    2007 Jackson RR24
    2012 Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
    sigpic

I'll take the new ProMods over the Model Series or the toothpasties any day of the week. And I loved my Model 4. There's a lot of features about the toothpasties that I don't like at all including the recessed Floyd, Dinky body and toothpaste logo.

Of course, that's just the bolt-ons. If you want a Jackson Soloist, I think you can include the neck through Model 5 & 6 and the toothpasties 5xx and 6xx.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      I'll take the new ProMods over the Model Series or the toothpasties any day of the week. And I loved my Model 4. There's a lot of features about the toothpasties that I don't like at all including the recessed Floyd, Dinky body and toothpaste logo.

Of course, that's just the bolt-ons. If you want a Jackson Soloist, I think you can include the neck through Model 5 & 6 and the toothpasties 5xx and 6xx.
      I do like Jackson Soloists, but I got given a DKMG for my 16th birthday instead, not that it's bad or anything, I love my DKMG. Anyway I'm digressing from the subject, thanks for the opinion, I just like the look and sound of the old Charvels but same goes for the San Dimas. The ProMods are awesome though, great feel and solid guitars. Unfortunately I havn't played any Charvel older than a 2008 model.
      2002 Classical Acoustic
      2005 Jackson DKMG
      2008 Ibanez JS100
      2009 B.C. Rick KKV
      1989 Charvel 375 DLX
      2010 Jackson JS30KV
      2003 Fender Jag-Stang
      1988 Charvel Model 4
      2007 Jackson RR24
      sigpic

Comment

What about the MIJ Charvels that came out in 2002? Not interested in those? They are damn fine guitars.
        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

The new USA models are incredible. I love my So-Cal. My Model 6 is good too, but the new USa models are just incredible, look awesome, feel awesome, sound awesome. just great.

PS: I like the So-Cal more than the SD, but that's just me.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
            What about the MIJ Charvels that came out in 2002? Not interested in those? They are damn fine guitars.
            Yeah they're nice but same goes for them as the "tootphaste era" or anything before them, I haven't had the chance to play one. I suppose I would be happy with any Charvel to be honest, I could eventually get one of each at some point in my life. I am a bit of a collector and yeah the USA ProMods are fantastic, went to the guitar shop today again just to play on it.

As long as I think it's good then I'll be happy.

According to my friend, he bought me a guitar for my 21st, he said I liked it and have been after it for a while, but that could be one of many. I need to wait for it to be shipped from the USA first though.
            2002 Classical Acoustic
            2005 Jackson DKMG
            2008 Ibanez JS100
            2009 B.C. Rick KKV
            1989 Charvel 375 DLX
            2010 Jackson JS30KV
            2003 Fender Jag-Stang
            1988 Charvel Model 4
            2007 Jackson RR24
            sigpic

Comment

I have played with a polar white Dimas for a couple of hours and i loved the neck,for my money the neck is what makes a guitar great or not so.
              Plus the hardware on those new models is pretty damn good,nice pickups,good Floyd,nice tuners.

I hated my old model 6..lets say the neck was just not for me.. The hardware was Ok..

To me you must try some and get your opinion,its safer that way
              Last edited by K.Dee; 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM.
              Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

I forgot about this thread I made, I did get my guitar from my mate, it was a Charvel 375 DLX, and here she is.

2002 Classical Acoustic
                2005 Jackson DKMG
                2008 Ibanez JS100
                2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                2010 Jackson JS30KV
                2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                1988 Charvel Model 4
                2007 Jackson RR24
                sigpic

Comment

Now try a Pro Mod to compare!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I've been playing my 2010 USA San Dimas for a couple weeks now, and I love it. I wouldn't say better than my '87 Model 4, just different. I love the maple fretboard. I like the strat feel, without it being a Fender Strat, which I dislike. I do like that they're both non-recessed for sure.

My new motto is..."If it's a toss up between two guitars, get em both!" Life's too short.
                    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                      I've been playing my 2010 USA San Dimas for a couple weeks now, and I love it. I wouldn't say better than my '87 Model 4, just different. I love the maple fretboard. I like the strat feel, without it being a Fender Strat, which I dislike. I do like that they're both non-recessed for sure.

My new motto is..."If it's a toss up between two guitars, get em both!" Life's too short.
                      ^ This. If you have the money get both, they are both damn good guitars.

Comment

Working...
                      X