SSH or HH Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSH or HH Soloist?

So...what's you favourite Soloist routing? S-S-H or H-H, maybe with PU split?
    Rick

H-H! Damn middle pickup just gets in the way.

Comment

Yeah, HH for sure. Middle pups get in the way, and I like the nice fat sound of a hum at the neck.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I like my SL1, but I put in a bladed middle pickup that's a little shorter and it's screwed down as far as I can get it, out of the way.

I guess I'd say I prefer the SL2H overall, but also like to have the SL1 for that particular sound (Classic Stack in the neck position) because it's close enough to a Strat with your eyes closed but it doesn't play anything like a Strat, which is good IMO.

Comment

Out of those two, I'd go for H/H but H/S would be my preference...
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I'm asking this question to you because I really don't know which Soloist should I get.

Sure, i have to try them. Yesterday i tried a ferrari red SL1 and i discovered that the middle PU is uncomfortable, but i like the two humbuckers (in fact, i have two guitars with HH routing).

So...HH with coil split or SSH? i can't give myself an answer
            The one i saw, used -MINT-, is a SL1

PS: i play hard rock and heavy metal, from Led zeppelin to Iron Maiden.....through AC/DC, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, Def Leppard and stuff like this....

:think:
            Rick

Comment

The middle pickup bothered you, right? What if most people here say you should go with the SL1? I'm OK with either layout, but on HSS guitars I usually end up with a Hot Rails in the neck and the middle pickup lowered all the way. My very favorite layout is HH with a 5-way super-switch, but you can get something similar in an SL2H with push-pull pot(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn KK View Post
                i tried a ferrari red SL1 and i discovered that the middle PU is uncomfortable, but i like the two humbuckers
                Well surely there's your answer - SL2H.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  The middle pickup bothered you, right? What if most people here say you should go with the SL1? I'm OK with either layout, but on HSS guitars I usually end up with a Hot Rails in the neck and the middle pickup lowered all the way. My very favorite layout is HH with a 5-way super-switch, but you can get something similar in an SL2H with push-pull pot(s).
                  Well, i think that i have only to get used to this middle PU...i'm only looking for some opinions on which model is the best for the genres i listed..and I wouldn't put a Hot Rails in the neck position.

At the end, i think i'll go for the SL1 because by for now i didn't found a nice SL2H for sale, at a right price
                  Rick

Comment

Don't forget that most (not all) hardrock/metal plays use humbuckers all round. So having a neck single coil isn't necessarily the sound you're looking for...

Comment

I bought my SL1 for versatility, then discovered I'm not versatile...SL2H, you should get what I like...

Comment

Hate middle pickups, HH all the way, HS is alright too, but Fuck HSS in the ass
                        Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                          I bought my SL1 for versatility, then discovered I'm not versatile...SL2H, you should get what I like...

That brings up a good point! Sometimes I think versatility in a guitar can be overrated. When I'm looking for a single coil tone, what I usually hear in my head is a strat or tele, and I've never found another guitar where the middle or neck single (much less a split hum) cuts it. It's too big a compromise for me. That's just me, and I understand that others may feel differently or play in situations where they need one guitar to do many things.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                            That brings up a good point! Sometimes I think versatility in a guitar can be overrated.
                            My #1 example of this was the Jimmy Page model LP I had several yrs back. With all 4 posts being push-pull, it got a total of ~24 pickup combinations, of which I used the standard 3 (probably 1 more than most!). That was one of the reasons I sold it.
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

HSH.

Get the HSS and put a Hot Rails in the neck.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X