No announcement yet.

SSH or HH Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never like the middle pup on the HSH guitars I had but with the Model 6 (HSS), the middle pup doesn't bother me at all, probably cause of the non-recessed trem and higher strings. Not because they are farther from the strings but just more room between the body and strings. The Soloist Pro is recessed so less room and it's kinda in the way. So, I like either HSS or HH but it depends on the guitar.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Dont forget the Sl1 and SL2H have different types of selector switches...I like toggle switches better than the fender type of selectors. A quick flick with my fingers and the toggle is exactly where I want it all without taking my eyes off the fretboard

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
        Dont forget the Sl1 and SL2H have different types of selector switches...I like toggle switches better than the fender type of selectors. A quick flick with my fingers and the toggle is exactly where I want it all without taking my eyes off the fretboard
        Wow, I never realized that they had different switches. It would be hard to translate to a 5-way to a toggle switch though.
        Scott

Comment

I prefer the h/h setup due to the ease of switching between bridge and neck, not as many spots to accidentally end up on. However, I would much more prefer a soloist with h/s, h in the bridge and s in the neck. I love the clean tone of that combination.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I Love SL1's, but that's because of the way I play. Get what fits you
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              I prefer the h/h setup due to the ease of switching between bridge and neck, not as many spots to accidentally end up on. However, I would much more prefer a soloist with h/s, h in the bridge and s in the neck. I love the clean tone of that combination.
              You could use a Tele 3-way switch and disconnect the middle pickup. Basically an H/S setup, you could even put a dummy pickup/cover in to get it down super low and out of the way.

I got a Duncan Hot Stack in mine in the middle. I have one for the neck, too, but I haven't put it in, and I'm not sure I will... I actually really like the sound of the Classic Stack at the neck. I think I may reverse the phase on the Hot Stack because the neck/bridge + middle is not that interesting the way it is, but I like the out-of-phase tone for some stuff.

Anyway, I picked the Hot Stack because it was the shortest hum-cancelling single-coil I could find, and with the single flat blade on top, if you DO pick deep enough to hit it, you don't get hung up on the pole pieces like you do the stock Classic Stack (plus those staggered poles on the Classic Stack stick up damned near 1/8").

The Hot Stack screwed all the way down is pretty low. I'd be hard pressed to say it is "in the way." If my pick hits it... I'm probably not being very accurate. :dunno:

Still, if I had to pick a Soloist, it would be the SL2H.

Comment

Here is my prefence

1. H/S
                2. H/S/S
                3. H/H
                4. H/S/H

On my H/S/S is rewire my toogle so that position 2 is Bridge/neck so I get a nice Tele sound.

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

HS with a hot-rails in the neck for me. The middle pickup is useless unless you're playing clean sounds with a strat.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm thinking about the SL1, and I'll do an offer for this guitar...

@MakeAJazzNoiseHere: Can you tell me how does the Hot Stack sounds?
                    Rick

Comment

H/S/S for me.
                      I can't understand how heavy you would have to pick to hit the pup.
                      I only use the tip of the pick, anything else feels like i'm tangled up in the strings.

Even if it's all the way up, there's still space between the pup and the string.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

One of each?

Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn KK View Post

@MakeAJazzNoiseHere: Can you tell me how does the Hot Stack sounds?
                          It's in the middle in the Soloist, so I don't use it. It sounds pretty weak, because it's lowered all the way.

I have one in another guitar in the neck position and I like it, but it's more of a Strat tone than a "humbucker in a single-coil route" like a Hot Rails.

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                          I can't understand how heavy you would have to pick to hit the pup.
                          Pfft... This from a guy who can't even handle a Floyd. :ROTF:

J/K dude. I pick pretty deep... Fuzz in my navel.

Comment

Doesn't much matter to me I guess. I have 5 H/S/S, 5 H/H and 1 single-hum.
                            Good deals with:
                            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
                              H-H! Damn middle pickup just gets in the way.

agreed
                              2011 USA Jackson Soloist
                              2007 USA Jackson Soloist
                              2007 USA BC Rich Warlock
                              2009 Edwards ECY 165
                              2009 Schecter Hellraiser
                              2006 USA BC Rich Wave
                              2012 Gibson LP Trad
                              1981 USA BC Rich Mockingbird

Comment

As I'm waiting for my SL3 to arrive today , this thread has been of some interest to me but the bottom line is that I suppose it's down to the individual. Most of my life as a guitarist has been spent with H-H guitars and I guess that's what I ideally prefer, simply because, like others, my use of the middle pup is limited. However, I used to own a Ritchie Sambora Stratocaster which was H-S-S and I never found that the middle pup got in the way at all. My understanding is that the Hot Rails in an SL3 is kinda like a humbucker anyway, though I've never tried a Hot Rails before. What I have missed in the H-S-S Strat I had was the variety of tones I could use. The contrast between the bridge and neck pups was fantastic and much as I loved the H-H Ibanez I got next, there was never the same scope of sounds available.

Comment

Working...
                                X