No announcement yet.

Your first Jackson/Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one of the "good" Charvettes about 1991 or so, with hum/single, short scale, German-made Charvel trem. It was great! Then I got my first Jackson in about 1993 - the JDX-94 Concept - one of the Japanese made models.

Comment

my trans red ps6tin 2002 i think , still have it. plays awesome and the quality is really good even though its a cheapie. the first neck was real fast but lacked the flash , so on went a dk2 neck and its a beast now. sounds good with the stock pickups whatever they are and the jt500 stays in tune.
      DK2 EERIE DESS
      KE3 CUSTOM
      KELLY PROFESSIONAL
      KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
      RR3 PRO
      BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
      KRAMER VOYAGER
      LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
      TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

My first Jackson was a cute Jackson RR5 in ivory w/ pinstripes. Price for this guitar was a steal (1200zł = about $400 now, but this guitar retails in poland for about 5500zł) and have sold this beauty for twice that much but still I regret it!

So, less than month ago, I bought a pearl white Charvel Model 4, from one of the guys from this forum, which is a great guitar, though it requires a lot of work (frets which were said to be in a flawless condition are buzzy in almost each and every position, bridge goes out of tune all the time). Dunno whether I'm gonna keep it or not, I'm having great time playing it. Just love the feel of these old guitars (but gotta admit, that my Peavey HP Special gets way more attention than Charvel ).

Last edited by mraus; 04-12-2010, 04:59 PM. Reason: added a photo

Comment

Originally posted by mraus View Post
          So, less than month ago, I bought a pearl white Charvel Model 4, from one of the guys from this forum, which is a great guitar, though it requires a lot of work (frets which were said to be in a flawless condition are buzzy in almost each and every position, bridge goes out of tune all the time). Dunno whether I'm gonna keep it or not, I'm having great time playing it. Just love the feel of these old guitars
          That's a nice guitar (except for the 5 way switch mod). Sorry to hear that you are having problems with it.

Could it be that from the travel to Poland, it needs a tune up from the climate change?

As far as the bridge issues, there could be many things. Make sure the post anchors are tight in the body, the threads are tight in the anchors, if the JT6 is just dead, replace it with an original floyd....

Comment

My first Charvel was my 87 Model 5 that I bought new after trading in a white single hum Japanese Kramer. It has Blackouts in it now and is modified to a 3 way blade and VVT and doesn't get tons of playing time any more. It has some fretwear, the JT6 is blocked for dive only but I don't have an arm for it. (Broke it in a horrible dive bombing accident..) Otherwise it still kicks ass.

My first Jackson is my RR1T that I bought new in 2008. It's by far the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned. It's stock except I swapped out the stock pickups for chrome covered Custom/Jazz. I will take a better outdoor picture when the weather improves because I hate this shot. The ironic thing with it being trans blue is it kills using the neck pickup for clean blues.

Last edited by Hellbat; 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              That's a nice guitar (except for the 5 way switch mod). Sorry to hear that you are having problems with it.

Could it be that from the travel to Poland, it needs a tune up from the climate change?

As far as the bridge issues, there could be many things. Make sure the post anchors are tight in the body, the threads are tight in the anchors, if the JT6 is just dead, replace it with an original floyd....
              Nope, It was bought from a guy in Poland so there was no climate change

I think I'll put an OFR, cause I hate having JT6 blocked :< I'll have this guitar serviced in about a month, will have frets polished so it will play way better than it does now. I'll tell you when I get it done

Comment

a black DK2M I had for one night before returning it to the store I got it from because the trem wouldn't stay in tune.

Comment

My first was a JDR Pro Reverse which was a MF-only model made in Korea. 24 frets, no binding but Sharkies, JT500 trem. Slightly cheaper than the Performers which were also in the catalog at that time. It was a pretty nice guitar for being a cheap import.

Next was a shattered-glass graphic Model 6 that I got in a pawn shop for $125! It was a 1986 model with Kahler, no serial #. I called IMC who owned C/J at that time and they said it could be somethng that was custom-ordered for a lower-level endorser, hence the no serial #. Or it could have been refinned, they weren't sure. Even then the current owners had little idea of the previous history of the brand, which has always been a shame.

I have gone through several other model 6s and a few different DK2s as well as a JTX/Performer hybrid Kelly that I bought from Newc and sold back to him. The only USA model I have owned was a SWEET HH strat I bought from Diablomozart, and sadyl had to sell a few years later.

Currently the only C/J guitars I own are a DK-2S and a PS-2. But even they are very nice guitars considering their place in the line.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

First one was a RX10D and my 2nd was a DR3. I was into Ibanez before I got my first Jackson. Now my Rg sits there and collects dust while I play these
                    Do you think atheists with dyslexia and insomnia lay awake at night wondering if there really is a doG? :think:

Comment

My first and only Jackson/Charvel is a Charvel 550xl in "electric blue," which is actually a sweet deep blue. This is by far my favorite guitar.
                      RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
                      My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

My first Charvel was a '84 San Dimas Strat with 1 hum and V-trem in Wine Red. I eventually added a Kahler 2300 and a couple of single coils to it.

Comment

Only started playing bout a year and 3 months, been jackson all the way, got a JS30DKT Hardtail
                          "A Peavey exploded?

Fuck we have a fucking problem!

End of the world right here!

Seriously,a Peavey exploding is like my ass suddenly sprouting wings and flying me into space." Grim

Jackson JS32T Kelly
                          Jackson JS30DKT
                          Roland 15X Cube
                          Dunlop CryBaby

Comment

Mine was a red 86 Model 4, with the "terrible" Kahler flat mount and the mid boost circuit. Looking back I should never have gotten rid of it. At played and sounded amazing.
                            It's pronounced soops

Comment

My first, that I got today, is a JS30KV that a friend of mine sold off to pay for a microKorg.

I was this close to getting a JS30KE as my second guitar, but decided to get an Epi Les Paul while its namesake was still alive with the money instead, and I put the Jackson dream on the back burner until now.

Comment

1987 Model 4 in candy apple red bought early 1988.
                                went to a guitar shop ( A1 music in manchester, anyone else remember it? ) with another guitarist, found the model 4 while he was shopping, and convinved him to buy my Aria instead so I could have the Charvel.
                                It should have been £580, was mis-priced at £480, and I got 10% discount for cash, and paid £440 for it ... they came running out of the shop after me as I left, to be told 'done deal now, sorry'
                                Still got it, still love it 24 years on, it's still almost standard, with the exception of a DP155 ToneZone in the bridge, and a DP188 ProTrack in the neck
                                Love it

Comment

Working...
                                X