X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dr pickup

just upgraded the trem arm to a schaller collared type, feels much better
    still sounds like crap though, im not a fan of the j90-c pickup at all
    any ideas what might sounds good to replace it?
    i'm replacing it with a duncan for sure, just not sure which one to get
    i have an alnico II pro in my model 1 and that sounds killer, but i was thinking maybe a 59' for my 3dr?
    anybody had any experience replacing pickups in a 3dr with duncans?

here's a clip of me jamming out some rubbish blues
    i know th sound quality is terrible, as is the playing really, but it was just for the sake of showing how it sounds at the moment. i want it to sounds a bit thicker/warmer, but still with a reasonable amount of mid/high end to it

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I thought it sounded good! How about a Duncan Custom?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Thought the playing was quite good actually. I don't know that a '59 will have enough bite for you. You can't go wrong with a Duncan Custom IMO. Maybe try a Screamin Demon also as some of your playing was sort of Lynch-like.

Comment

cheers guys, i forgot to mention too, i use the coil-split sometimes so taking that into consideration too
        which custom are you guys taking about? theres a "custom 5", and 2 "custom custom" types
        of those 3 the "custom custom sh-5" 's description sounds best of the 3 to me for what im looking for, although that you mentioned the screamin' demon that i hadnt even considered, that seems pretty good too, so i think its gonna be a toss between those 2, unless coil splitting is a bad idea with either?

Comment

There's only one Custom (ceramic magnet). The other is a Custom 5 (alnico 5) and the Custom Custom (alnico 2). Your playing sounded very good! The Custom will have some bite to it but be pretty well balanced, the C2 will be more mid-focused, looser in the bass (similar to an older EVH sound), and the C5 will have a little scoop in the mids.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love the original pickup in it myself, but I do love the SD custom in basswood guitars.

Comment

ah yeah i read it wrong on their site, i read "duncan custom" as another "custom custom" D'OH!
              so it is indeed the duncan custom you're referring to?
              i love the idea of a more EVH sound, i love EVH! but realistically his sound doesnt compliment my playing as it did his
              plus i use an ada-mp1 anyway, its not a very eddie sounding unit, at least not the way i use it
              if anybody has heard the band XYZ? ive always loved their guitarists tone
              check out the song "face down in the gutter" that kinda tone is what i go for!

Comment

Working...
              X