just got my first jackson and i have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got my first jackson and i have a question

i'm not really sure what model this guitar is except that it has a reverse headstock and says Jackson Performer on it. 2 humbuckers and a single coil in the middle of those and a schaller floyd rose tremolo and locking nut. the serial# is #9614004. the question is, when i got it the string height needed to be adjusted in the worst way, they were resting on the frets. is this something that commonly happens with the floyd rose system? i've owned dozens of guitars since i started playing in 75 but never one with a floyd rose. there is no warpage or cracking in the neck, just the string height sitting really low. i ordered 2 sets of shims and a stop bar for the tremolo block to easier keep it in tune, something i automatically do when i get a fender with tremolo. is there anything else i need to look for on this guitar to adjust spring height? i'd never seen a guitar that adjusted spring height in this way, took me half an afternoon to find how to do it online also, new member here in Columbia SC, right outside of Ft Jackson. in addition to guitars i play the bass, banjo and bagpipes and i'm heavily into vintage european and japanese motorcycles.
    Last edited by bucky katt; 05-06-2010, 12:46 AM.

PS-4? From the mid-90s. Good luck reading this brochure page: http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=60&pos=2

Banjo & bagpipes eh? Let's see some Youtube clips!

Ft. Jackson, geddit, heh heh, cool.

Oh yeah, I like your screen name too

Welcome aboard, newguy!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i really DO live just outside the main gate for Ft Jackson lol just a funny coincedence

Comment

Originally posted by bucky katt View Post
        the question is, when i got it the string height needed to be adjusted in the worst way, they were resting on the frets. is this something that commonly happens with the floyd rose system?
        Yes, all of my guitars with Floyd Rose trems have strings resting on the frets. That's what people mean by "the guitar can play itself"

Come on man, if you've played guitar for a hundred years, you can spot a guitar that someone's fucked up the setup on it.

First, the trem is against two post. These go up and down to adjust trem height.

Next, you have strings which want to pull the trem up, and springs in the back that want to pull it back down. You want to balance the forces so that the trem is flat with the top of the body when tuned to whatever tuning and string size you are using. Remember, when you loosen the springs, the stings will go out of tune flat, and when you tune back up to pitch, they will pull more. So adjust in small steps until you get to the happy medium.

Oh, and to adjust springs, you can either add/remove springs in adition to the screws that hold the claw. You do know that you can tighten the claw screws to pull more on the springs, or loosen the claw screws to let off the springs, right?

Don't worry. We have other members from SC that we can send over to help you out

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhh i didnt realize the tremolo posts were height adjustable too! only tremolos i've ever owned were fenders and several bigsbys (bigsbys being my favorite!)

Comment

Keep in mind that you want to preferably adjust the trem height with no spring or string tension on them as doing it under tension can dull the knife edges.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

anyone here used a tremolo stop to keep it from moving under spring tension? looks basically like an l shaped piece of metal, with a threaded hole in the short leg and a screw to put adjustable pressure against the tremolo block. theyre selling for around 15 dollars but with my metal fab skills i could make one for nothing out of scrap metal in my motorcycle shop.

Comment

Interesting.

Yes, sounds like a PS4.
                I have one as well, a breeze to setup once you learn how.
                Although the PS4 doesn't have an Original Floyd Rose it is
                good enough.

I never had a need for a trem stop.
                A 9 volt battery or something similar to block it just for initial setup helps,
                but not necessary once you learn how to do it.
                Trick is to STRETCH the strings!

It will drive you crazy unless you get that original tension out.

I am nowhere close to Ft. Jackson but I have visited.
                I live in the older part of Irmo.

Comment

ah you must shop at sims too then? well, i do for strings and picks and all.........slowly but surely i'm getting used to this thing but i dont know still if i'll keep it or not. i've never owned anything but "traditional" guitars like strats, teles, les pauls and the occasional es 335, 345, 355. i play alot of classic rock, grateful dead especially, and alot of traditional celtic music and bluegrass. i DO like the action of this guitar but the sound is totally different from what i'm used to. IF i were to sell it any idea what it would be worth to me here? finish is in nice shape with some normal wear in the pick area but nop dings or anything. i REALLY think i'd rather have a set neck Epiphone les-paul to go with my set neck Epi SG.

Comment

What kind of jap bikes? I build the occasional CB750 chopper.
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

my every day ride is a k4 750, 3rd overbore, shaved head for a bit more compression, 78 750f cam, degreed with a z1 enterprises adjustable cam sprocket. kerker 4 into 1 (for now) 122.5 main jets, stock airbox with a k+n drop in filter. 17/46 sprockets. it runs like a bat out of hell. i'm planning an 812 cc motor based on modified cbx 1000 pistons, worked head with larger intake valve. i'm restoring a 1972 suzuki titan now and a kawi h1 waiting in the wings. i'm a certified bmw and triumph tech (or was until i got my neck broken) i'm a member of sohc4.net

Comment

the serial# is #9614004.
                        1996 - Made in Japan
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

thanks a million for that! made in Japan ones being better than the korean or indonesian i imagine?

Comment

ah you must shop at sims too then?
                            Wouldn't touch that place.
                            And for whatever reason their repair setup techs are amongst the worse I have ever encountered.

I have ended up with a lot of their business due to their lack of customer support.
                            But I no longer do setups or repairs for money.

Comment

who in town DO i deal with? i finally quit messing with ordering online. musicians friend.......after the last fiasco never again and driving 75 miles to the guitar center in charlotte for strings and picks, even on the bike getting 50mpg,isnt going to happen.............not often anyways

Comment

Working...
                              X