Why dont bolt on jacksons........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why dont bolt on jacksons........

.........have sculpted heels (all access neck joints, fastbacks or whatever you want to call them!) One of my pet hates is the 4 bolt plate, which is one of the reasons i am always put off imports.

Is it too expensive, or maybe just the head honchos not wanting to do it?

Re: Why dont bolt on jacksons........

You mean like these heels?

http://autumn-frost.com/ForSale/popartback2.jpg

I find no problem accessing the higher frets with this heel.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

He might be talking asbout the heels on the NJ import BC Riches. They have Fastback heels, or so it says on their website.

Comment

The "Fastback heel" on my old NJ Beast was the ONLY thing I ever liked about that POS..

That heel was a great looking smooth heel.

However, I've never met a heel the actually made it difficult to play up to the 24 fret.

I never quite understand why guys complain..

I know it doesn't look as smooth but its the back so I don't care...

As I type this, I'm holding an old-school Kramer with a 4 bolt plate/strat type heel.. I have no problem playing the upper register. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

All the newer Jackson imports have the neel area recessed, you will NEVER have a problem with hitting a heel.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:

However, I've never met a heel the actually made it difficult to play up to the 24 fret.

I never quite understand why guys complain..

[/QB]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Have you played a les paul yet! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The problem in reaching the 24th fret of a Les Paul is not so much the heel as it is there are 2 frets missing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I haven't found a Jackson bolt-on that the heel was in the way.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
              The problem in reaching the 24th fret of a Les Paul is not so much the heel as it is there are 2 frets missing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oh Man, he walked into that one! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone else notice that fret access on a bolt on LP copy is way better than a set neck one?
                Or is that just me?

Jamesy

Comment

Can do it this way also ..

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Well i suppose if ur one of those people that MUST put your thumb behind wherever your middle finger would be playing, then ya, a big heal would matter. Having long fingers helps a lot while playing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I can pivit my thumb somewhere around the 15th fret, and reach the upper 20 frets with my pinky and ring.

I do like the feel of not having a heal there though. Its different, and a little easier to play. Scalloped heals rock [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i like the heels on ebmm (like the jpm model and the higher end ibanez's

Comment

yeah, i was refering to the NJ bc riches, Ibanez's *gasp* and such like. I dont have a problem reaching the upper frets, its just when you are moving up the neck (on a solo) you get to 12th fret, 15th and then you hit straight into a "wall." I appreciate that the heel has to be there, but smoother heels help my playing. Guess ill have to lump it and get a jackson [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It seems to be a question of technique. Personally I do not see how you even hit the heel (and it's h-e-el, people, not h-e-a-l - "heal" is what you do when you get hurt - goddam public school system [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                          Anyhoo, to hit the heel, your hand must be in the wrong playing position. I hit the horn way before I hit the heel.

But then, maybe I'm a minor deity? This seems to be a common problem mentioned here.

Newc

Comment

o.O i think they're talking about your thumb. How do you hit the horn with your thumb? *shrugs* well if i had a cam, i'd have a picture of my hand sliding up the neck from behind, and my thumb crashing into the heel. But i really have no problem accessing the upper frets while my thumb is on the joint where the heal meets the neck. Like i said, its probably one of those things where people don't feel right without their thumb behind their middle finger while playing. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

If you HAVE to have your thumb directly behind your middle finger, you've got a serious technique problem and will eventually develop a serious hand problem.
                              My thumb doesn't hit the horn - the side of my hand next to my pinky will touch the horn at the last fret, but the heel is not in my way, as I bend my thumb sideways at that point. I do it that way on neckthrough guitars as well.

Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X