Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone's first guitar was a Charvel, Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone's first guitar was a Charvel, Right?

It's a funny thing...I recently was re-introduced to Charvel about a year ago with these pro-mods. I've always loved Charvels...although, I have to admit...a Charvel was not my first guitar...but everyone I talk to seems to say theirs was.

My first memories of Charvels was back in the mid-late 80s. I'd see them on the wall at Sam Ash..which at that point, I would have to imagine they were in production at that point. My first Charvel was a used Fusion Deluxe...with the logo that 'kinda' emulated the Jackson logo. I even bought T-Shirts with that logo. For whatever reason, I loved that guitar...and I always preferred the Charvels to Jacksons...not sure why...maybe I liked he Charvel logo better (from the originals)...and later on, probably because I owned a Charvel. I almost felt like a black sheep back then...Jacksons were all over MTV and just about every rock club you walked into...Charvels had kinda become old hat by 1989...all the major players had moved on to (were sponsored by) other brands (ESP, Ibanez, Jackson (of course), Kramer, etc). Matter of fact, I only remember two players who still played Charvels by the time Jackson had become the most popular metal guitar in the world...and that was Jake and Warren. Everyone else had moved on. And to be honest...I only knew Jake was playing a Charvel because I had an Ultimate Sin live VHS tape

Well...it's 20 years later, and I still have the soft spot in my heart for Charvel. When I read a random review on a random guitar web site, my interest was sparked immediately. I had been in the process of selling off all my old, non-played (or crap) guitars, and once I saw Charvel was made in the USA again....and they made a Telly style (which I always wanted), I had to get one. To sweeten the deal, the Tellies were out of production at that point, and my local music store was selling them for $699. I was THERE. I picked one up, and it quickly...very quickly...became my favorite guitar...by a long shot (and it sits in some really great company).

Since picking up that Telly...I also picked up a San Dimas HSS Strat...these guitars are just GOLD....there's nothing like them...I've added a Jackson PC1 to my collection as well, and even that, as great a guitar that is, it's still not my favorite. I love my Charvels...always have, always will. And to all those players out there that kinda give me a funny look when I tell them how great these guitars are (speaking of the Pro Mods...and of course the custom shop guitars), I don't give a s**t if you think it's cute...every one of them says "my first guitar was a Charvel"...like it was a kids toy. No...Charvels have been played by the greatest players of all time..and they continue to this day to make amazing instruments. While I can raise my flag on this board and feel like I have others that share my passion for these guitars...I'll raise my flag on any other board for that matter...and let them know what the first true hot rod guitars were. Hats off to Fender for buying this company and bringing them from the brink of extinction to a proud guitar maker again.

Anyway...figured I'd share. And of course....this is no dis to any other guitar maker...particularly Fender or Jackson....But I'll always be the guy wearing the Charvel T-Shirts.
    Todd M

Charvels were very expensive back in 1989 when i bought my first guitar,i mean model 4 was more expensive than any Fender strat and models 2 or 3 were just too expensive for my fathers wallet..
    I dont think there are many guys that bought a Charvel as their very first guitar.

Now i got 3 an '85 San Dimas,a GX Bullseye '03 and a B/W EVH art series but thats a different story

Anyway i like your passion about Charvels,those guitars have such a cool vibe thats really hard to find.
    Last edited by K.Dee; 06-02-2010, 01:15 AM.
    Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

My first guitar was a Gibson "LP junior...paid $55 for it in 65' Didnt own my first Charvel till i bought a HRF CS in 07'!
      Always went the cheaper Kramer route

Last edited by Robert Burns; 06-02-2010, 04:34 AM.

Comment

My first was a cheap ass Sears no name. Got it for Christmas when I was 14.
        The folks figured it would end up collecting dust and they were right.
        Within a year I had saved up enough $$ (mowing lawns/washing dishes)
        to buy a used The Paul.
        It was a nice Axe, but lets face it, at that time, it was out of style.

I bought my first Charvel in 87. An 86 Model 2, and I still have it.
        Models
        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
        I dont need furniture.
        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
        And rock that sucker.

Comment

My first guitar was an LTD (ESP) M-50 I bought off my friend for $100. Really nice guitar, but things kept breaking on it. By the time a machine head snapped off, I pretty much shelved it and was hell bent on buying a Jackson. Unfortunately, due to not enough skrilla, I ended up buying my first Charvel (1988 Model 4) from my uncle.

Comment

First guitar was a shitty Indie strat copy, then got a JS30RR, now I have a DXMG.
            Gear

Jackson DXMG
            Jackson JS30RR
            Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
            Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
            Blackstar HT5H
            Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
            Marshall JCM 800 2203
            Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

My first guitar was a red Axe guitar with "Axe" written on the body in black. I got it through Kerrang magazine and if I remember it was about £80 with an amp and bag! I was about 14 or so.

Comment

First guitar was a black Les Paul custom bolt in Japanese piece of shit copy I borrowed from a future ex brother in law. I played that for a year and saved up for a Fender Strat - MIJ kahler Floyd HSS. Then followed a classical which I smashed, a Gibson SG and a Kramer Focus 2000.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

First axe was an Aria Pro II Strat style, and still not a bad axe by todays standards.

Comment

Well...I didn't include it in my original post....but since everyone is sharing....my first was called a JP Player (and a Gorilla amp). Horrible Horrible Horrible...I wish I still had it though...I can't find them anywhere...few online..but none look like the one I had.
                    Todd M

Comment

My first guitar was a Fender Strat copy.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Aside from the Sears acoustic that my parents bought for me in the 70s, my first electric was a 1985 Kramer Striker ST200 that I purchased new at GC and yes, I still have that POS.

Comment

My first guitar was a plywood thing that I think was shaped like a Gibson SG. It cost $60.

Comment

First Guitar was a Cimar Start copy. that poor thing what I did to it over the years...
                            here it is in 1984 (I was in 5th grade). I bought several charvels in High school to include a Jackson ltd88 that I used the money my mom gave me for the prom on. Have to have priorities I guess
                            http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

I had a cheap red squier strat with a white PG.

Comment

Working...
                              X