benefits of a short scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benefits of a short scale

What would be the main benefits of a short scale guitar as opposed to a standard scale? Say, something like the Fusion as opposed to a Soloist? I've played around with both Gibson and Fender scaled guitars (although all I own are the 25.5") and I never really noticed too much of a difference. I heard someone say one time that it was mostly about comfort level of the string tension at a certain tuning (standard vs. downtuning). Anything else?

Re: benefits of a short scale

Shorter scale = tighter string .. little harder to bend but takes less bend to achieve the next note ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

You got it backwards. Shorter scale = LESS string tension. To me the strings feel a bit more rubbery, and some chords are a bit easier because of the smaller amount of space between the frets. There's really no MAJOR benefits from shorter scale guitars. Supposedly tuning down on a shorter scale guitar isn't good because the lower tension means the notes aren't as clear. Try telling that to the dudes in In Flames. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

shorter scale = less tension
        and also means a more bassy sound.
        look at a gibson les paul vs a prs singlecut, similar idea/materials, different scale neck. the les paul is way deeper sounding than the singlecut.
        just my 2¢

Comment

Actually the PRS are a 25" scale. So yours is a valid point, but wouldve been better if you'dve said like a mohogany soloist or something...

Jamesy

Comment

A real Les Paul is a bit thicker than a PRS Singlecut, isn't it? That may explain the bassier response better than
            1/4" difference in scale length.

Best benefit of a short scale is for those with small hands that can't get the fret stretches for large intervals with a
            25.5" scale guitar.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i would love to have a Short Scale(24.75)USA Soloist, man I would trade my USA AT Soloist for the right one, I prefer the shorter scale length and the rubbery strings [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

doh .. you are correct sir .. I f'ed up . [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I've played 25.5" scale necked guitars for years, but as I get older, I like the shorter scale better. I'm an automotive technician and my hands are paying the price. My hands just don't stretch like they use too. I'm playing a 24" scale Fender Mustang a lot these days just because it fits my stretching abiality. I can no longer open my hands up all of the way, and I'm only 37. Cars and guitars are not a good mix.

Sprinter 92

Comment

I do the same sprinter....and I too feel your pain. Try doing some 6 string aerobics after slide hammering off some honda accord rotors that haven't left the car in 6 years....ouch ! [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Peavey T-15 23.3 scale. Peavey Patriot, 23.? scale, 23 fret. Cringe.. but they aren't bad for the money (less than a 100). Some have Ash bodies. maple necks, some are poplar bodies. Rather strat feeling in construction, but swap out the frets and the pups for a p-90, maybe the hardware and you have a completely different (better) guitar. If you do work yourself.. it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                      X