Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you guys make your JS series play better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys make your JS series play better?

New nut? new Bridge? new neck?

I have a JS series Kelly that I really want to like, but its just not doing it for me. I put a set of Blackouts in it and I have done a good setup on it. Should I just sell it and get something differnt or try a few things and see what happens after that.

Put back the OEM pups, and trade it in for a higher model

...unless you love the guitar ofcourse

Really, for the price any upgrade will take you closer to a more expensive guitar
    by the time you add up the costs for new pups, pots, bridge, nut you're basicly on another level
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

What exactly don't you like about it?

Although either way you should put in the Original pickups and trade/sell it and move up.

Comment

They're better than people give them credit for, I'm playing a JS30KE right now, and my 750XL is taking a wee break.

Give it a setup, intonate and set the relief. Changing for more expensive pickups won't better the playability, it's all in the setup.
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

its a JS30KE I honestly dont know what I dont like about the guitar. My biggest pet peev when skipping from the A string to the low E string it always feels akward to me. I dont know if its the string spacing that Im not used to but it feels like the low is is MUCH higher then the A string. but they are both setup to the same height. Something just feels wierd about it, I cant exactly put my fingure on it.

Comment

maybe get a file and set each induvidual string height so that it feels comforatble to you, if you need to drop the low E down, go for it it may make a big difference to how you feel about the guitar, it also may not

I assume the string posts height is not induvidually adjustable (TOM style bridge)

I wouldnt spend money on the guitar till you have it all set up as best possible, as Dred mentioned, then make a decision on what you need to change

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
              its a JS30KE I honestly dont know what I dont like about the guitar. My biggest pet peev when skipping from the A string to the low E string it always feels akward to me. I dont know if its the string spacing that Im not used to but it feels like the low is is MUCH higher then the A string. but they are both setup to the same height. Something just feels wierd about it, I cant exactly put my fingure on it.
              Try setting it lower than would seem necessary. Right now, the bridge on mine is set to rest at the bottom of the post on the low side, with the high side sitting a bit higher. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works wonders. Try that and see what happens, man. Just go by feel!

*Edit
              Oh yeah, a heavier string may help just by being more tense. You may prefer that feel too. Just try the two individually, and see if you can combine setting the bridge and a heavier low-e to get something that feels right to you =D
              Last edited by Dred; 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM.
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I usually set my guitars action at 2mm on the low E and about 1.8mm on the high E. However I cannot get this set that low without a crazy amount of buzz/fretting out. I have the relief set about .004. I use Ernie Ball power slinkies (11-48).

Comment

Things aint like the 80's. I remember paying 200 bucks for a guitar and it really was a big piece of shit...a Kramer (something). I thought, wow....I have a nightswan (that I paid close to 1000 for)...here's a Kramer I could get for a fifth of that. Well...not to throw out the most commonly used cliche ever..but you do get what you pay for.

These days, you actually can a lotta guitar for the money. One of my buddies swears that the neck on a Squier he picked up is one of his favorites of all time.

Still...the cliche does hold water. I'd never buy a JS Jackson. Hell..I won't buy a Japanese Jackson...and those truly are quality instruments.
                  To me (unless it's an Ibanez), if it doesn't say made in USA, I don't buy it.

Of course, I'm a bit of a stickler...and my job pays me pretty well...so I can afford to be picky. But I gotta be honest...When I see 300 dollar guitars, I wouldn't even think of putting that cash down. Hell..right now, Charvel pro mods are starting to go for 700-800 brand new (after being 1100 for a long time).

If you're still within the exchange period, take that thing back and get a pro-mod Charvel...or wait until you've got another couple hundred bucks and buy a higher level Jackson (or any brand for that matter). Or even better...keep your eye on the used market. I got an American Deluxe Fender for 899...somebody traded it in at guitar center, and they put it on the floor for that price. Meanwhile, the same EXACT guitar was on the shelf, new, for 1600. The used one I bought did not have one scratch, ding, and the neck was barely used. That was a score.

I guess, do whatever you gotta do...but I would invest a little more money in an upmarket instrument. Just my opinion, of course.
                  Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
                    To me (unless it's an Ibanez), if it doesn't say made in USA, I don't buy it. ...Of course, I'm a bit of a stickler...
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                      Sorry dude...I aint going back to crap made imports when I can finally afford some of the better shit. Just like there won't ever be a day I trade my HD for a Honda...never, EVER, again...even if the Honda is as well made (I guess plastic motorcycles are some folks' cup of tea...not mine! )

Still, I probably should clarify that statement however...and maybe I'll even learn something...the only non-USA made guitar I own is my Ibanez Prestige RGT320Q Team J Craft...well...that and a Takamine acoustic. It's probably one of the most beautifully finished guitars I've ever, not just owned, but seen. It's absolutely stunning to look at. I'm almost afraid to play the goddamn thing because it's so pretty.

That said, it's not my favorite playing guitar. Some guys like the paper thin, wide necks...I can play them...but i usually have to warm up to those things. My Charvels, my Fender...even my Les Paul.....I can pick those up and start ripping right away. That damn Ibz....it's like my friggin wife...no matter how many times, I still gotta warm her up.

Going back to my point...I don't think Ibanez makes any guitars in the US...do they?..even their signature models (vai, satch, etc)...those are all Japanese instruments as well. And have they ever made USA made guitars? None that I'm aware of...but I'm not an Ibanez expert either. I just know, I always liked the one Phil Collen played in the early days with Def. I've probably owned a total of 6 or 7 Ibanez's over the years...not one ever said USA Made...matter of fact...most didn't say made in Japan either. I believe Japan is where they make their premier guitars...Am I right about this?
                      Thanks
                      Todd M

Comment

...How does any of that help out the original poster? From what I'm reading of his post, he'd like to make his guitar more playable.

To the original poster, I'd take it in to a good tech. You may need some fretwork or some saddle adjustments. I'm a bit surprised that you're saying that the low E and the A string are the same height when you have a TOM bridge; they shouldn't be.

Things aint like the 80's. I remember paying 200 bucks for a guitar and it really was a big piece of shit...a Kramer (something). I thought, wow....I have a nightswan (that I paid close to 1000 for)...here's a Kramer I could get for a fifth of that. Well...not to throw out the most commonly used cliche ever..but you do get what you pay for.

These days, you actually can a lotta guitar for the money. One of my buddies swears that the neck on a Squier he picked up is one of his favorites of all time.

Still...the cliche does hold water. I'd never buy a JS Jackson. Hell..I won't buy a Japanese Jackson...and those truly are quality instruments.
                        To me (unless it's an Ibanez), if it doesn't say made in USA, I don't buy it.

Of course, I'm a bit of a stickler...and my job pays me pretty well...so I can afford to be picky. But I gotta be honest...When I see 300 dollar guitars, I wouldn't even think of putting that cash down. Hell..right now, Charvel pro mods are starting to go for 700-800 brand new (after being 1100 for a long time).

If you're still within the exchange period, take that thing back and get a pro-mod Charvel...or wait until you've got another couple hundred bucks and buy a higher level Jackson (or any brand for that matter). Or even better...keep your eye on the used market. I got an American Deluxe Fender for 899...somebody traded it in at guitar center, and they put it on the floor for that price. Meanwhile, the same EXACT guitar was on the shelf, new, for 1600. The used one I bought did not have one scratch, ding, and the neck was barely used. That was a score.

I guess, do whatever you gotta do...but I would invest a little more money in an upmarket instrument. Just my opinion, of course.
                        Sorry dude...I aint going back to crap made imports when I can finally afford some of the better shit. Just like there won't ever be a day I trade my HD for a Honda...never, EVER, again...even if the Honda is as well made (I guess plastic motorcycles are some folks' cup of tea...not mine! )

Still, I probably should clarify that statement however...and maybe I'll even learn something...the only non-USA made guitar I own is my Ibanez Prestige RGT320Q Team J Craft...well...that and a Takamine acoustic. It's probably one of the most beautifully finished guitars I've ever, not just owned, but seen. It's absolutely stunning to look at. I'm almost afraid to play the goddamn thing because it's so pretty.

That said, it's not my favorite playing guitar. Some guys like the paper thin, wide necks...I can play them...but i usually have to warm up to those things. My Charvels, my Fender...even my Les Paul.....I can pick those up and start ripping right away. That damn Ibz....it's like my friggin wife...no matter how many times, I still gotta warm her up.

Going back to my point...I don't think Ibanez makes any guitars in the US...do they?..even their signature models (vai, satch, etc)...those are all Japanese instruments as well. And have they ever made USA made guitars? None that I'm aware of...but I'm not an Ibanez expert either. I just know, I always liked the one Phil Collen played in the early days with Def. I've probably owned a total of 6 or 7 Ibanez's over the years...not one ever said USA Made...matter of fact...most didn't say made in Japan either. I believe Japan is where they make their premier guitars...Am I right about this?
                        Thanks
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                          ...How does any of that help out the original poster? From what I'm reading of his post, he'd like to make his guitar more playable.

To the original poster, I'd take it in to a good tech. You may need some fretwork or some saddle adjustments. I'm a bit surprised that you're saying that the low E and the A string are the same height when you have a TOM bridge; they shouldn't be.

Yeah I know they should not be the same height. I think that may be what's throwing me off on this guitar. I find myself flubbing notes all over the place that I normally don't have. Problem with. I am really thinking that a new nut and a better bridge will make this much more playable.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

How does that help the original poster? OK..he asked what he could do...and a few folks suggested returning the guitar, or trading up for something else.
                            I've owned over 40 guitars in over 25 years of playing. This is a forum where people share experiences and this is my experience.

I look at the JS series as beginner guitars for people just starting out and who don't want to spend a lot of money. Why would anyone buy a JS if they're just going to upgrade the hardware anyway...not to mention, the build quality isn't what the Japanese and USA made guitars is.

I could come in and edit my post too...but I won't do that, because I think what I have to say is very relevant to the topic.
                            Todd M

Comment

I bought the JS because it was very cheap $120. I also like tinkering as well. I have many other guitars of much higher quality. I know it is a cheap guitar and I know that I won't get my money back out of it. I was simply just poking around to see what you guys might have done to other cheapies to make them great players.

Comment

Working...
                              X