A Tale of 2 Jacksons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
    I haven't found a good replacement for the switch tip yet. Dave needs to start making those.

That and un-plated (naked brass) dome knobs.
    I found these in my travels. Sounds close to what you're looking for:

Comment

I could of sworn the SL2H's are US made (:
      Gear

Jackson DXMG
      Jackson JS30RR
      Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
      Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
      Blackstar HT5H
      Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
      Marshall JCM 800 2203
      Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Originally posted by GADify View Post
        I found these in my travels. Sounds close to what you're looking for:

http://www.armadilloguitar.com/shopp...products_id=18
        I have found those, too! The knurling's a little too coarse but IIRC he will do semi-custom stuff. Maybe I'll try those out.

Anyway... Allparts has black/chrome/gold knobs that are "close" and fairly cheap. The tremolo, you can get anywhere (Warmoth probably has the best price... R3 nut for your SL2H) and Stewmac.com has the Gotoh tuners:

They don't have the Jackson logo, but they're the same tuner. Or you can get the locking Schallers from Warmoth, they are compatible with the existing holes.

For pickup rings, you just want two Duncan Trembucker rings, check out Banjo Mike's (banjomikez) on Ebay, he has them.

The hard part is the switch tip... I think you'll have to hit up your dealer for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
          I could have sworn the SL2H's are US made (:
          Duh
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
            I could of sworn the SL2H's are US made (:
            For some reason Sam Ash called these SL2Hs...
            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              I have found those, too! The knurling's a little too coarse but IIRC he will do semi-custom stuff. Maybe I'll try those out.

Anyway... Allparts has black/chrome/gold knobs that are "close" and fairly cheap. The tremolo, you can get anywhere (Warmoth probably has the best price... R3 nut for your SL2H) and Stewmac.com has the Gotoh tuners:

They don't have the Jackson logo, but they're the same tuner. Or you can get the locking Schallers from Warmoth, they are compatible with the existing holes.

For pickup rings, you just want two Duncan Trembucker rings, check out Banjo Mike's (banjomikez) on Ebay, he has them.

The hard part is the switch tip... I think you'll have to hit up your dealer for that.
              Great post - thanks! I emailed banjomikez about the rings. Are they metal?

I had ordered the Floyd from Warmoth yesterday.
              Got a new set of WCR American Steeles on the way to try. Duncans sound better in the US Jackson than they did in my import. WCRs will sound better.
              Got actual Jackson labeled proper USA tuners from a guy on Ebay - pretty psyched about that.
              Emailed Frets on the Net about rings, jack plate and switch tip.

The switch tip will eat at me until I find one. Has anyone had success actually getting one from a Jackson dealer?

Comment

No, the standard rings on an SL2H are the flat black plastic Seymour Duncan Trembucker rings. If you want black metal ones I would definitely go with fretsonthenet.com because all of the ones I've ordered have been a little "iffy" quality-wise.

If you can't find the jack plate otherwise then the football jack plates Warmoth has will work. I've done a few hardware swaps on Jacksons/Charvels and that switch tip is the killer.

Comment

Looks like I've got everything covered but the damn switch tip. Now I just wait for all the boxes to roll in.

Comment

Thats a pretty good assessment of the differences. I liked my Sam Ash Soloist quite a bit. Had to sell it for another Les Paul however.
                    1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
                    2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
                    2008 Satin Black SL3
                    2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
                    2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Working...
                    X