Upgrade time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade time

Ok, I think I need to upgrade. I need help. First off, I have a Jackson Performer PS2. It has a h/s/s setup. I've replaced the humbucker with an EVO and the neck single with a duncan hot rail. I know I need a new guitar when I pick up an Ibanez and its sounding pretty Gnarly and mine sounds like it needs some balls! Haha. I wanna stick with Jackson. Looking around the 4to5 hundred buck range, but cannot even look at any more than 8. Wanting a 2 humbucker setup, I plan on putting in some Duncan blackouts or EMG. But if any models have these actives already, that would be great. I guess I prefer used, as I can get a better guitar for less money. I want a locking nut. Would really like a Kahler bridge, but can deal with a Floyd Rose style. Generally want a regular shape as opposed to the V's or anything else. Want the best body woods and necks possible for the price, but all in all, not the biggest deal.
    So, what direction do I need to go "O great knowledgable, Jaskson-onians".

If you want used and prefer active pickups then search online for a used DK2M bengal finish. Those came stock with EMG's and it's not a V.

Comment

Ok, so here is another question. I keep seeing Dinky, Dk3m, DXmk(or something). Is that just having to do with hardware and pickup setup, or what.

Comment

Dinky is the model.
        The name denotes some specs and series.
        For example: A DXMG. D=Dinky, X=x series, MG=EMG pickups.
        Example 2: DK2M. DK=Dinky, 2=could mean 2 humbuckers or could also denote that its a precursor of the USA Dinky, M=maple fretboard.

Jackson names don't really follow a set guideline. a DK2M is a pro series guitar. So that means a KE-2 would be a pro series too according to the name but its not. Get kinda complicated but you'll learn to pick up on these things. I didn't want to get too in depth with the explanations of the model names

Comment

The KE2 and KV2 don't have 1 versions because they were Mustaine and Friedman models

DK1 = USA Dinky
          DK2 = Import Dinky
          DKMG = Import Dinky w/ EMGs
          DXMG = Import Dinky w/ EMGHZs
          SL1 = USA Soloist
          SL2H = USA Soloist dual humbucker
          SL3 = Import Soloist
          SL3MG = Import Soloist w/ EMGs

Makes sense eventually.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

You could try a used SL(Super-Lightweight)SMG. Soloist with a very thin body... Mahogany, Ebony board, maple(?) neckthrough, EMG 81/85... Import model but still a neckthru with EMGs... doesn't get much better, and they go new for around $1000.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Didn't notice the need for a floyd...

Best bet would be a used SL3MG. Good luck finding one in that price range though. Although it would be worth it as if you bought a used Dinky (only the DK1 comes with EMGs) you would be putting in a set of EMGs which would increase the price substantially.

Worth noting that the SLSMG has better woods... Ebony fingerboard vs rosewood.... but it has a TOM and not a floyd.
              Last edited by Grim; 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. TOM=String thru? Anything I need to keep an eye out for while looking around?

Comment

Well my best advice is, buy USED. For the price of a neckthru import you can get yourself a USA model with superior tonewoods and hardware.

Comment

The Sam Ash SL2H (which is actually a MIJ Archtop Soloist, they named it horribly) isn't a hell of a lot more than the import Dinkys:

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

That Sam Ash guitar looks pretty sweet.

Comment

No matter what you get, play one first... One thing about all these different models is they all feel and sound quite a bit different. Necks and bodies are different shapes and thicknesses, different woods are going to give different tones (like mahogany is normally darker, alder or poplar is somewhat brighter), pups sound different in this or that wood, etc... And, not to argue with anyone here, but I hear the comments quite a bit about being able to get a used USA (or neckthrough) for the price of a import.... etc.. How long are you willing to look? There are smoking deals out there but as prices have risen... and risen.... and risen recently, it's not as easy to find those deals.. I looked for quite a while to find the deals I've found.

IMO, for availability, specs you're looking for, price, and value.... A used DKMG is pretty damn close (older ones had HZ's with an Afterburner, newer ones have 81/85). It's at the lower end of your price range and has most of the specs you're looking for.
                        Good luck.
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ok, so during my weekly kill some time at guitar center ritual, I saw they had a Jackson there. I think it was 600 semi bucks. Regular shape, EMGHZ, floyd rose, inverted headstock. The tag they had on it was American custom Dinky. I think this is wrong. It was a bolt on neck. I couldn't find anywhere that said made in USA, or anywhere else. In fact, it just said Jackson nothing else as far as model or series or anything. I smell something fishy and the neighbor lady isn't here!

Comment

Dinkys have bolt on necks, Soloists are neckthrough.Sounds like the wrong tag on the guitar, probably MIJ, you won't find a custom shop for that price.
                            You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Thats what I figured. They try to be so sneaky!!! I feel sorry for the people who dont know any better.

Comment

Working...
                              X