Update on my Vivian Campbell copy Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my Vivian Campbell copy Charvel

As some of you know, I'm having a copy of Vivs white Charvel with the skulls on it done.We had somewhat of a problem with the black paint on the graphics acting crazy, but that is all fixed now.

It looks great, with the very small exception of around the volume knob hole, the red started to SLIGHTLY fade and crack a bit there, but you may not be able to see it once the knob is on.

The builder said once the clear is wet sanded and buffed you probably couldn't tell anyway.

The graphic looks great now, although it is not an exact copy, it is very close, and I'm not trying to pass it off as an exact one anyway.

The neck looks great, I got one of those original Charvel gold decals, and had it put on there. I swear it looks like an original charvel neck.

You can't even tell it was a decal, no outline or nothing. I know some of you guys frown upon this, but I'm not trying to pass it off as a Charvel to anyone,its just a cosmetic thing for myself of something that I have wanted for about 20 years now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Update on my Vivian Campbell copy Charvel

Sounds great man! I can't wait to see pictures.

I like that your not doing the exact guitar he had. Personally I love steve Vai's Green Meanie but if I were going to make one I would make changes too. I'm not Steve and your not Viv and as such we have to make changes so the guitars fit us more.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Hey there Rick,
      That sounds cool, pics are a must when you get them. As far as people frowning upon a reproduction, I think that's if your trying to pass it off as a real one. There's nothing wrong with building a "copy" of a guitar that you may have always admired. Look at the hobby automobile builders who buy the Fiberglass Kit cars that look like Cobra's or a 1932 Ford Victorias. It's because it's something they've always wanted and for the price of the kits, they can have one.
      Look how many people buy the Van Halen Frankenstrat reproductions, there's nothing wrong with that and it helps the economy too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Good luck with your project, can't wait to see it!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks guys,

It's not that I didn't want the exact graphic, but those skulls were all done freehand, so there is a bit of a difference in that, but I wasn't about to get the same pickup etc in it.

I want to be able to play it so, I put a different pup in and I had the Floyd routed versus the non routed that Viv had.

As I said I have no intent on selling this thing to anyone, but there are people who would pay a lot of cash just for what it is, more power to them. I have always wondered why I haven't seen any copies of his guitars around, like you do the Dimartini crossed swords guitar.

Comment

Sounds awesome, Rick. Now... PICS PLEASE!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool! Glad it worked out. Can't wait to see pics. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Guys,

He still has to put the thing together and set it up, and god only knows how long that will take him! He's had it now for 6 months , and the other thing is , I have to come up with the cash for it, but I will get pics of it as soon as I get it.

Comment

Working...
              X