Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
    You do realize that the same people are making the guitars,
    Yes I did, but didn't the process change? i.e. higher production volumes, more automation, less individuality.

Like I said it is my perception and it could be right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
      Yes I did, but didn't the process change? i.e. higher production volumes, more automation, less individuality.

But it is wrong.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

That's why I don't buy post buyout models. I have a perception (right or wrong) that the early guitars are from an era of quality and individuality. A company that set itself above the rest. I don't get that perception from Fender's management of the brand and thus I won't buy the product. And in marketing perception is everything... just look at BP now! Regardless of who fault it is, it will always be BP's.

Am I just ... :dead: ?
        This thread might be worth a read to you. Keep in mind this was back in June so things may be different now.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/108...p-tour-6-24-10
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Good one, Hellbat.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well a few of us have had a tour of the factory recently and we can tell you that the guitars are being made by the exact same guys, using the exact same machines/equipment. All they did was move from one building to another. I was even shocked at the individual attention the guitars received. I saw one of the guys working on a stack of Soloist bodies. The bodies were all cut out and routed, but the edges all around the guitar were not rounded off yet. Now you might think that would be done by some sort of machine to get a uniform look all the way around on all the guitars, but no. I watched him use an electric hand sander (or whatever it was) to round off the edges around the entire body. He did one body after another and they all looked EXACTLY the same and perfect. These guys still give these guitars all the attention they need.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I have made some suggestions to some higher ups at Charvel Jackson to have a gathering of all the people who work in the custom shop for a photo like they used to do on the back of the early 80's Charvel/Jackson catalogs. People would be stunned at how custom that custom shop was if they saw that. Again, like I said in my write up that was referenced here, my perception after touring the factory and meeting most of the guys who put their hands on our guitars was that if I had shown up with a dozen donuts, everyone would have gotten one. I might be wrong by a couple in either direction.

A lot of people like owning guitars that are exclusive and to witness the popularity of Suhr and Anderson and Tyler and many other small but well known builders it shows there is a market for that. Charvel/Jackson custom shop is in that ballpark, but building guitars more in line with what I like personally.
              Last edited by Chubtone; 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

And to get back on topic, I have noticed that kids are always looking for LTD's and Schecters these days instead of Jackon's and it really boggles my mind especially when you compare what jackson has in the same price ranges as those companies and that much of the Jackson stuff is made in Japan for the same price the others are charging for made in Korea. The Korean stuff has gotten better recently, but it is still a ways below Japan in quality.

I guess Jackson needs to be much more aggressive at getting their guitars into the upcoming metal players hands.

Comment

The chinese and indonesian made ones are getting up there in price. A lot of the ones that were good made in Korea are not pretty shitty in these other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                    And to get back on topic, I have noticed that kids are always looking for LTD's and Schecters these days instead of Jackon's and it really boggles my mind especially when you compare what jackson has in the same price ranges as those companies and that much of the Jackson stuff is made in Japan for the same price the others are charging for made in Korea. The Korean stuff has gotten better recently, but it is still a ways below Japan in quality.

I guess Jackson needs to be much more aggressive at getting their guitars into the upcoming metal players hands.
                    I do think ESP has the nicest finishes like their trans colors, etc. Very nice looking guitars. Though, you don't really see Jacksons anymore. When it was Musicians Friend, you had a wall of Jacksons. Now you just have a few with Guitar Center.

How would you rate Jackson Japan to ESP Japan?

By the way, I see the Jackson custom shop has stayed pretty much the same since Fender took over. But what about the Japan built guitars? Since that would pertain to guitar store bought guitars at big box chains. Just wondering if the quality of the Jackson Japan guitars stayed the same, went down, or went up when Fender took over? I just bought a DK2S.

Comment

Thanks for the link, good read and it does make me think twice about the modern FMIC Jackson's.... However, it only talks about the Custom shop. Where and how are the USA select series models made?

Comment

Thanks for the link, good read and it does make me think twice about the modern FMIC Jackson's.... However, it only talks about the Custom shop. Where and how are the USA select series models made?
                        Later in that thread it says the USA select series are made at the same spot as the Custom shop guitars.

Comment

My understanding is the Japanese Jacksons are currently made in the same factory they have always been made in. (Including the old model series Charvels.)

I'm no authority though so this could be partially or completely wrong.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                            My understanding is the Japanese Jacksons are currently made in the same factory they have always been made in. (Including the old model series Charvels.)
                            You are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post
                              Later in that thread it says the USA select series are made at the same spot as the Custom shop guitars.
                              In which case my perception was entirely wrong and I would quite happily own a post Fender buyout model... as long as it has a Kahler trem (I suppose I could put up with a Floyd, but I want a JE-1200 ).

I still stand by my marketing statement. And I guess since I knew nothing of the modern USA production and had the wrong perception Fender should be doing a better job of informing the traditional customer base (not just people who are local enough to get a tour).

Comment

You can get a Kahler from the custom shop.

It's great how you don't really know anything about how Jackson works but you have these awesome marketing ideas. Let me guess... You don't work in marketing, either, do you?

Comment

Working...
                                X