Sam Ash dropping Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
    Personally it doesn't bother me anyway since I refuse to own a Jackson made after the Fender buyout. But I might have considered a Custom Shop purchase in the future.
    My old RR24M was just as good as the USA king v pre fender. I actually think the fret work was better on the rhoads.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      You can get a Kahler from the custom shop.

It's great how you don't really know anything about how Jackson works but you have these awesome marketing ideas. Let me guess... You don't work in marketing, either, do you?
      No, actually I am race car engineer. And what is it exactly that you do?

And I suggest to you that if I don't know anything about how Jackson currently works (and yet I am an end user) then Fender isn't doing such a good job of marketing. It's not rocket science for pete's sake! Keep the customer informed, make them feel like they are in the club and that the product is being made just for them. Perception is everything... Am I wrong? :think:

Jr almost never wins a race, but a good proportion of race fans think he's a good driver, why do you think that is?

Music is a hobby to me and thus I don't dedicate as much time to research all the guitar manufacturers as people who either work in the industry or have nothing better to do. Hence I tended to stick with a quality that I know which is old Jackson's. But that will now change thanks to some of the more informed members of the JCF community.

To those of you to which the following applies:
      Isn't it great that the internet is a huge resource for learning and the reduction of general ignorance and not a place for people to snipe to others.... (look up "sarcasm")

I know that Kahlers are back in production, what's the word on JE-1200's?

We are getting a bit off topic here, the marketing inferance of the thread was that the loss of product placement at a large chain store.

Comment

Most people are happy with how things are since Fender bought Jackson. AMIC (Akai Musical Instrument Corp.) was almost running Jackson into the ground.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OT, but Fender should really consider bringing the Jackson Electronics line back from the grave. The JE-1000 and JE-1200 would give them a factory option comparable to the EMG afterburner stuff.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

No, actually I am race car engineer. And what is it exactly that you do?
            Not Marketing... That's why I don't play Armchair Marketing Guy.

And I suggest to you that if I don't know anything about how Jackson currently works (and yet I am an end user) then Fender isn't doing such a good job of marketing. It's not rocket science for pete's sake! Keep the customer informed, make them feel like they are in the club and that the product is being made just for them. Perception is everything... Am I wrong? :think:
            The info is out there and it's not that hard to find. Go to Jackson or Charvel's web sites, recent articles have been published in a few different magazines talking about the history of the company, read this site, etc.

Without knowing what the goals for the company, I can't really say what angle they should take on marketing, and I wouldn't really take much of a guess anyway, since I'm not a Marketing guy. Maybe it's an exclusive, you gotta know someone who knows, "word on the street is Jacksons kick ass" kind of thing. Maybe they don't care that much about new customers or increasing volume on the USA line. Maybe they don't want every mascara-wearing Screamo douchebag band playing a Jackson, and so they don't hand out endorsements to anyone who will take them. I really don't know. :dunno:

As for the imports at Sam Ash, etc. I see that you live in Indianapolis...

At the Indy Sam Ash store, I see a few in there, usually close-outs, and some are available online... Sam Ash has not had any USA Jacksons in stock in well over a year, including whatever they have not sold online. They've had a "COMING SOON!" Snow White Soloist for going on TWO FUCKING YEARS. I am very certain that Jackson has made some Snow White Soloists in the last two years, so are they really back-ordered, ya think? :think:

Is this a Jackson problem, or a Sam Ash problem? I don't know... Seems like a Sam Ash problem to me.

As for Guitar Center, I don't know why they don't have them at the store, but they stock what sells. The Greenwood store usually has a shitload of Jacksons (imports) and the Castleton store usually has ZERO.

NO ONE in the area besides Sweetwater and Reno's has ANY USA Jacksons in stock. :dunno:
            Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Personally it doesn't bother me anyway since I refuse to own a Jackson made after the Fender buyout. But I might have considered a Custom Shop purchase in the future.
              I don't blame you. The only thing they've been good for since the buyout is playing country twang. I hear that Toby Keith's guitarist now plays a USA Warrior with the Skulls graphic. It sounds just like a pedal steel.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Jazz Noise (make a),

Now that is more the response I was hoping for in this thread, thanks. The more I think about it the more sense it makes that this is probably a SA stock control issue rather than a Jackson marketing issue. I hadn't thought of that angle before.

I know the History of the company, what I didn't know was what has changed since Fender took over.

I never go to the Greenwood GC, too far out of the way for me.

The Castleton stores are a bit out the way but I drop by when I am going over to Uncle Alberts.

The current Castleton SA Jackson stock is a 2nd hand USA Soloist that has been dropped (badly, broken headstock etc) and they are asking waay too much for it.

The Castleton GC had a custom shop KV with a fernandez sustainer and killswitch that was pretty cool, the kid that sold it (who was the original customer) came back in and rebought it. Right now they have nothing else.

I haven't been to IMC or any of the other stores in a while.

Sweetwater is a long way to go, but if I were in the market for a new USA Jackson I'd probably make the trip.

Not heard of Reno's, where's that?

Comment

Reno's up in Fishers.

guitarhotline.com

They also have an Ebay store (or two...)

They are a custom shop dealer, sell Charvel and Jackson. The only USA Jackson they have right now is a PC1, they have some cool Charvels, though. Unfortunately for you... Nothing with a Kahler. :ROTF:

I bought my SL1 up at Sweetwater, it was a hell of a road trip but we made a day of it.

Comment

I apologize if this has already been said..I haven't had time to read all the replies...but the subject is definitely something that I feel like I need to comment on...basically because it definitely affects me as I have a few GCs and a Sam Ash relatively close.
                    It really bothers me that these stores only carry the cheapo guitars..I understand that it's business, and that stocking higher end Jacksons, ESPs, even J-Custom Ibanez's is not what they want to do...of course, they carry the higher end PRS, Fender, and LPs. Matter of fact...GC in East Brunswick, NJ has a 42K LP, and 3 Strats that are over 35K. Still, I'm always disappointed when I walk in these stores because it's rare they have new models...and it's even more rare that they get high end models I mentioned above. The only good thing to come out of these places these days are the used guitars. Every now and again you'll find something someone traded or sold...and it's a really cool American Jackson, ESP, etc.

I haven't been to these stores outside of my area, but I have been to the 'flagship' stores in Manhattan. Now those stores stock everything..and I would honestly be very surprised if they didn't carry Jackson anymore. I think any rumors that Sam Ash won't carry Jackson is based on their local shops...and this doesn't surprise me in the least. Hell...this has been going on forever anyway. I can't remember the last time I saw an American soloist at Sam Ash. I think I saw a Jap. Soloist maybe 2 years ago...and it was the only one there. But the big city shops will continue to carry everything...that's my guess. It just sucks because I aint going to NYC every time i wanna look at guitars.
                    Todd M

Comment

I agree with Veniculum, My personal opinion is that Sam Ash and GC has done more to harm the Jackson brand that help it by Stocking only the lower end guitars, and not setting up or taking care of the guitars they do stock. The Sam Ash close to me had the same DK2 on the rack with a big chunk taken out of the body at regular price for two years before they finally marked it down to 400 to get rid of it. They also had a Kelly on the rack for quite some time that was missing strings. How do you think you're going to sell a guitar if you don't even put strings on it so people can try it out? The Highest end Jackson I've ever seen in there was an SL3 and they had it hidden in the back corner for some time before they marked it down because it wasn't moving (DUH!)

As for GC, at least I can say they seem to take better care of the guitars they display, I have not seen any that were missing strings although I did see a Les Paul in there today that looked like it could use a bath.
                      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM.
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

As far as the Jackson's at GC and SA. I can speak for GC since i work there. Jackson has been selling less and less throughout the 2000's As far as GC goes. ESP seems to have better marketing right now than JAckson does and more popular endorsed players than Jackson. Fender should work on that. Get them better exposure and stop relying on the Fender auto pilot to do the talking. So GC see's it like this. If MF is selling more LTD's than JAcksons then since GC owns MF they follow the same game plan. Slowly drop down the JAckson brand and bring in LTD. ALtho that makes sense too. Cuz LTD and Schecter are owned by the same parent company.
                          As for Gibson Has anybody heard anything about a flood in Nashville? And does Gibson being in NAshville ring a bell for anybody? Well In conversations with the Gibson rep on a regular basis. Gibson was flooded out and lost most of had damage to the machines and tools that make the guitars. Not to mention all that wood. Gibson hasnt made a guitar in NAshiville since the flood. Stores all over are running out. Even the independents.
                          They are working on getting back up to operation level. But it takes time and money. I'm sure back ordered stuff will be made first. Then on to the production of the regular inventory for GC SA etc..
                          As for PRS sales. Well they've been down too. People just dont have the expendable cash they use too. Altho things are getting better They arent what they were before. Things will turn around economy wise. BUt im just as unhappy about the Jackson thing as the rest of you. I work for the company and cant even play my favorite guitars at lunch. So needless to say when we do take in a used one I pay extra attention to it.
                          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
                            I haven't been to these stores outside of my area, but I have been to the 'flagship' stores in Manhattan.
                            Let me shed a little light on the "flagship" of a guitar retailer the GC in Manhatten is; Unless you're a Gibson or Fender guy, you're not going to find anything to interest you. Everytime I convince myself "hmmm maybe today they will have something interesting, let me stop by..." I walk out dissapointed as hell. The only reason I go in is to look if they got any good used guitars.
                            The inventory looks like this:
                            -a SHITLOAD of high-end and crap-end Gibson's and Fender's
                            -5-6 Prestige Ibanez
                            -a SHITLOAD of cheap metal guitars like LTD's, BCrich, Schecters.
                            -NO, high-end Jacksons or even Japanese Jacksons. Only the indian Jacksons.

I can't blame guitar center for phasing out since, business is business and if something isn't selling then its perhaps best to let it go.

But honestly this to me means, long gone are the days of walking into a store and seeing that high-end hand-made guitar(that isnt a Gibson or Fender) with a legacy hanging from the highest part of a wall and saying "damn, some day I want to own my own [insert brandname here]".

Music is a business to these retailers, their inventory has no space for guitars with legacy's or a history.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
                              Let me shed a little light on the "flagship" of a guitar retailer the GC in Manhatten is; Unless you're a Gibson or Fender guy, you're not going to find anything to interest you. Everytime I convince myself "hmmm maybe today they will have something interesting, let me stop by..." I walk out dissapointed as hell. The only reason I go in is to look if they got any good used guitars.
                              The inventory looks like this:
                              -a SHITLOAD of high-end and crap-end Gibson's and Fender's
                              -5-6 Prestige Ibanez
                              -a SHITLOAD of cheap metal guitars like LTD's, BCrich, Schecters.
                              -NO, high-end Jacksons or even Japanese Jacksons. Only the indian Jacksons.

I can't blame guitar center for phasing out since, business is business and if something isn't selling then its perhaps best to let it go.

But honestly this to me means, long gone are the days of walking into a store and seeing that high-end hand-made guitar(that isnt a Gibson or Fender) with a legacy hanging from the highest part of a wall and saying "damn, some day I want to own my own [insert brandname here]".

Music is a business to these retailers, their inventory has no space for guitars with legacy's or a history.
                              Well... I was in Sam Ash NYC not too long ago...they had a new PC-1 on the wall...couple of USA soloists, and a ton of ESPs...not LTDs...ESPs....just to throw out a few examples. They had the normal high end Gibson/Fender/PRS guitars as always...but I was impressed with what they had in terms of other brands. And I'm not talking about 500 dollar Schecters or 300 dollar Danelectros.
                              The flagships do carry more...there's no question about it. Do they carry enough..that's certainly up for debate...but it's nowhere near as pathetic as the satellite stores in the suburbs.

Perhaps I should clarify....when I say flagship...I mean flagship...I'm not even talking about stores in other cities. But you have to understand...Sam Ash in NYC and GC in LA are the true flagship shops...they always have and always will contain a much larger selection of guitars. Honestly...I don't know if you've ever been in Sam Ash in NYC...it takes up two blocks...and the guitars on the wall are literally a couple stories high. It is impressive. I wish the other stores were like that.
                              Todd M

Comment

hmm I wonder which nyc Sam Ash you've been to...I was at the Sam Ash thats on 40-something street just 2 days ago and the inventory hasnt changed much from the last time I was there which was like 2-3 months ago.

2 days ago they had an assortment of Promod Charvel's, 2 Jacksons(a USA King V signed by Dave for 3grand and a japanese rhoads neckthru). A lot of Ibanez and LTD's. The amp selection wasn't very good at all.

Other than those 2 jacksons I didn't see any other. This Sam Ash also spread into multple stores on that one street. They took over Manny's music store that's been there since like early 1930s.

Sam Ash DEFINITELY has a better selection than guitarcenter by far. But where the hell are the Jackson's??

Comment

Working...
                                X