Got a 1990 Soloist Pro: Don't Shred Much-->Which PUPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a 1990 Soloist Pro: Don't Shred Much-->Which PUPS

So I landed a 1990 (I think) Soloist Pro with ebony FB. Traded a '68 Fender Champ for it. It's beat to hell but I really, really like it. However, I don't do a lot of metal playing. I have several PUPs laying around from old strat copies, GFS sets, and even a SD SH4 bucker.

I like Iron Maiden and Hair Bands, but I mostly play Blues and Classic Rock, as I am a noob, I am old, and this is what people that I can play with like. A set list for an upcoming gig (just an ad hoc parking lot jam where I take lessons) is:

Slow Down (Beatles)
    Everybody's Trying to Be my Baby (Beatles)
    Blue Moon (Some slow ass song that reminds me of the scene where Marty McFly is playing guitar in Back to the Future)
    Gimme Shelter (Stones)
    Somebody to Love (Jefferson Airplane)
    Like a Rolling Stone (Dylan)
    The Weight (Band)

My main amp is a Blues Jr, and I have an assortment of pedals.

Should I just stick with the original Jackson PUPs? I understand that the active mid-boost in my guitar can be used with any passive PUPs. Is it blasphemy to put a Strat single coil in a Jackson Guitar? Are there quick change clips I can solder to Pots and Switch lugs so that I can easily swap out tone caps and PUPs?

And can I get some Billy Gibbons type tones out of my Jackson?

Obligatory pics. I have a Black Gotoh LFR on order from internetmusicsupply.com

Last edited by Commodore 64; 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM.

My USA CS Soloist looks very like that! If I were you I'd lose the active, and fit a pair of Seymour Duncan quarter pounder singles (SSL4 I think) in neck and middle and try to get either a Guitarforce Erupter or a Duncan "EVH" for bridge. That's what I'm using and it's a perfect blend of everything. The lead pickup is lower gain (only about 9K or so) but has a perfect tone for my ancient Marshalls.

Comment

Marty was playing Earth Angel... What do I win?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

You don't win anything. What are you lookin' at butthead?

Comment

With my Model 6 (very similar guitar) I haven't found anything for the neck and middle that beats my little '59 and Duckbucker with coil split for all around perfection. I like the JB in the bridge too but want to try a Custom or a Custom5 in my 90 Soloist Pro.

And just for info that may help - The original bridge for the guitar is the JT590 (Schaller). The one on yours now is a JT580 or the like (can't tell if there's a Jackson logo). The Gotoh floyd is a great bridge but has the longer string lock bolts like an OFR. I'm 99.9% sure the lock bolts will sit farther back than the route on the body and will hit the body. Something to think about before you swap the bridge. You can see the different bridges here, the Gotoh is not there but compare with the OFR. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm Look about 3/4 of the way down the page for the blue RR with the OFR in a JT590 route...
          Hope it helps and good luck.
          Last edited by warlok; 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

There's no Jackson logo on the bridge that's on here now.

OK I looked at that site, and I see what you mean. Hmm. Bother. One of the nice things about the Gotoh was the price.

Also, I'm gathering that the jackson active preamp is not something I need to worry about keeping? I'd rather wire it like a strat anyways, in fact, I'm a little loathe to do the whole FR thing in the first place, since I keep my strat bridges locked down too.

But damn, I like the neck and fretboard on this Jackson.

Comment

Just block the Floyd with a Tremol-no or TremStopper...like these

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the single-coil suggestions above, but look for a moderate output humbucker for the bridge...maybe a Duncan '59 or Dimarzio Air Zone, Air Norton or AT-1 (Andy Timmons).

Comment

Try a P-rails or P-Rails Hot in the bridge. Probably P-rails would be the better choice based on music listed. It will give you "strat like" tones, "LP Junior like" tones, and a nice balanced humbucker tone, all in one pickup. They are really super versatile tone wise.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I agree to get a JT590 in there for a better fit than the Gotoh. Someone probably swapped it out before selling the guitar, then made another $50+ bucks selling the trem separately.

I'd say if your not happy with the tone, sell it and get something else. I picked up a 2008 MIM sunburst strat from GC for $237 + tax, no case. That's what you need.

Also, do you know that you can run Commodore 64 stuff on a PC? The emulators are excellent these days, and just about anything you want is on the net. I still have a C-64 and boxes of games in the basement. I also have a hot-rodded A1000 with just about every upgrade you could find. Looking back, it was a stupid waste of money upgrading it, but it's still pretty fun for the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    I'd say if your not happy with the tone, sell it and get something else. I picked up a 2008 MIM sunburst strat from GC for $237 + tax, no case. That's what you need.
                    I have a '94 MiM Squier Series Strat and Tele. I've got them set up pretty darn nice players, and I love them. I have that covered. I don't need another Fender. I like this Jackson and I like to tinker. Beside, in the condition this is in, I doubt it's worth a whole lot.

I have the emulators for the C64, as well as a C64 in the basement.

Also, I can get a pretty good deal on a Lil 59, bridge positions...can I use that in the neck or mid position? Or would that be bad?
                    Last edited by Commodore 64; 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM. Reason: adding PUP question

Comment

I just put a Gotoh trem in my Japanese Jackson Soloist Pro. I did have to route out an extra bit of space in the cavity, and the trem block is about 1mm too big (I can't put the backplate on...). So Warlok was right on about his concerns.

But, man, does it play and sound great! I think I'm going to keep the PUPs as is.

Comment

Looks like you did a nice job.
                        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I have the 4MHz accelerator in my C-64

Comment

I really like the JB in the bridge. After hearing all the negatives about it, I'm pretty impressed with it. Full, fat and balanced...which is nice after the distortions which I always loved.

Comment

Why didn't you shorten the screws on the LFR?

Comment

Working...
                              X