Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Model 6

Hey All:

I have a Charvel Jackson Model 6. I am the second owner of the guitar. It has the JT6 tremolo system on it, but a Kahler locking nut. The original owner is a good friend of mine and he never changed it, in fact he gave me the guitar only a few months after he got it (back in '87 I think - learning to play was to hard for him, he couldn't deal with it) he sold it to me for $600.00.

Ultimately my question is this, has anyone on this forum ever heard of a Charvel Jackson Model 6, coming out of the factory with a JT6 licensed by Floyd Rose Tremolo bridge and a Kahler locking nut? Also, it stays in tune beautifully and always has

It is my understanding that these guitars are all Japanese, yet it looks like the Kahler locking nut says on it in very fine print "made in USA"? I'm an old man now, but as far as my bi-focals tell me, that's what it says. How can this be?

Any info would be helpful...

Thanks
    Matt

Yes the Model 6 was made in Japan. The serial number can tell us the exact year. Here is a link to the catalog scan for the 87 Model 6. http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1987Page18.jpg Some components were USA made (Some pickups, Kahler bridges and some of the locking mechanisms).

Comment

Jackson used its own JT6 locking nut, but I believe later on they used Kahler nuts which were very similar.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I checked out the link to page 18, but can't seem to find any serial number info - the serial number is C805936...

The only changes that have been made to it were by me, I put in a George Lynch Screamin' Demon Humbucker in the bridge position.

Also, I don't understand why the JT6 tremolos get such a bad rap...mine never goes out of tune!

These are GREAT guitars!

Matt

Comment

JT6 is not a bad trem, just not as good as an OFR.
          I have one on a Model 88 and it stays in tune.

I just like the tone of an OFR a little better.

Comment

Is it the behind-the-nut stringlock like Kahler used with their flatmount trems, or an actual locknut like Kahler made for the Steeler & Spyder licensed floyds? Yours is from '88, and that's the year when some of the Model Series guitars were fitted with Kahler locknuts (actual locknuts, not behind-the-nut stringlocks). For some reason, they show up most on crackle finished neckthrough guitars (especially the infamous Rainbow Crackle) and on some Model 3DRs, maybe because they were produced right near the end of the run of the Model Series.

Comment

A JT6 won't hold up as well as an OFR over the long run, but it is a good design. The Taiwanese JT6 stringslocks suuuuuck though.

Comment

Yup. Your's is an '88. My 87 Model 6 had the JT6 and the Kahler style behind-the-nut lock and I have no problem with it. The JT6 was well worn but worked fine. I just didn't like the feel of it under my hand. If you like it, keep it. If not, an OFR with a 42mm block is a direct swap. Other Jackson trems are too (JT580LP) but may need a slight altering of the route for the bar collar..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The typical Kahler nut and the JT6 have an identical mounting footprint,no difference in mounting holes.

The Kahler was a much higher quality unit,due to tougher materials. It also has a much sleeker profile than the JT6.

I've never seen the Kahler Floyd-type with the "string director" on anything but a 3DR/Predator. Tommy
                  "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the replies, answered all of my questions =)

DG - it's an actual locking nut, not a behind the nut, and you really know your CJ because it's an orange crackle paint job.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be around.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                    X