Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade

Hey all,
    So i've got the DRX and she is looking a bit dirty, so i do the right thing and strip her down to give her a clean. Much to my surprise, I find the trem block has a big-ass crack through the middle. So over to floydupgrades.com i go to get a new block. Whilst im there, i add on a new set of springs, a trem stopper and some new screws (as you do). Thats on order should be here in a week or 2.

Because im keen on a PC1 but importation is tricky and the DK2S is now discontinued and supply is an issue, i have decided to spend a bit to upgrade the axe. I have ordered a sustain pro kit for the neck, but what PUPs should i use in the bridge and middle slots?

I was thinking for the Bridge Pickup a DiMarzio Super 3 Humbucking Pickup and for
    the middle pickup a DiMarzio HS2 Stacked Humbucking Pickup as I like the tone and quality and they are the same as the PC1!

But my question is, should i use the DiMarzios or would you recommend another type to compliment the sustainiac? If so, what and why ?

Thanks heaps..
    Dall

Click image for larger version

Name:	g1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2449623

Name:	g2.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2449624
    The bloke from down under

If you're going to try and emulate the sound of the PC1, then I'd recommend those. Are those personally your favourite pickups to use? I'd choose my favourites, to be honest.

Comment

Why would the brand make a difference, and if the PC1 comes with DiMarzios, why not use them?

I think you are hyper Dallas. Take a lude and chill a while

Comment

lol @ DonP! ok i will then! rofl

Comment

the DRX is in the shop getting fitted with the new trem stop, block, springs, claw, dimarzios and sustainic as we speak... I can't wait to get her back and try her out !!

Comment

Originally posted by hyperdallas View Post
            the DRX is in the shop getting fitted with the new trem stop, block, springs, claw, dimarzios and sustainic as we speak... I can't wait to get her back and try her out !!
            You'll get various opinions about floydupgrades.com here and on other guitar forums. I have brass blocks in all my Charvels with the Korean made floyds. The German floyds are better..and there's no question that the floyd in the PC-1 is superior to those in my Charvels. That said, I don't think the MIK floyds are bad. Adding the brass blocks just made them better. There's definitely a difference between that and stock...despite what others may say. I've done it to three guitars and played them back to back with and without the brass blocks. It's certainly not night and day difference..but I can hear an improvement. I just look at it as a 60-70 dollar investment (for the block, springs, screws, etc)..and you make something that's already pretty good better. And I'd go as far as to say that even the MIG floyds would sound a little better with the upgrade.

Good luck man
            Todd M

Comment

Hey Hyper,

Have you tried the Super 3 yet? I have an HM Strat (the axe that DiMarzio designed the Super 3 in), but it's a project (Kahler trem - need parts - oh the pain!).

Anyway, just wondering if you liked it.

Comment

I haven't got it back yet DonP so i don't know yet... Im expecting it by the end of the aussie week, so another 2-3 days yet...

Comment

well... the result is ... OMFG!

the demarzios were the choice of the century and ive now turned a good guitar into a kick ass one. the tone and sustainer alone make it awesome, but the upgrades from floyds really did the trick.... So pleased that im taking it to bed right now :P hahahahaha

Name:	guitar.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2445006

Comment

Sweet DiMarzio's are the way to go IMO.Great looker dude.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The guitar looks great, glad to hear it sounds great as well.
                      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Looks great, and probably sounds just as great!

What pickups and Floyd Upgrades did you end up doing to it?

Comment

MHM - I installed a HB Sustainer in the neck and replaced the bridge pickup with DiMarzio® Super 3™ Humbucking Pickup. The old middle pickup was replaced with a DiMarzio® HS2 Stacked Humbucking Pickup and the floyd rose upgrades were a new L-shape block and screws, a new set of springs and a trem stopper.

Comment

Working...
                          X