Soloist ID? Is this an SL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist ID? Is this an SL1?

I am trying to find out what the guitar is and whether it would be worth it to trade my RR3 for it? I know that it is a neckthrough soloist, with original Lightning Sky graphic. Cosmetically, he says it has a few dings and chips in the paint, and it has no middle pickup. The wiring needs work too (but I love to rewire, so that's cool with me!) It has it's OHSC as well.

Anyone got any ideas which model this is and if it would be worth the trade? Thanks!

My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Sure looks like SL1. Serial number would narrow down the year and exact model name.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Lightning sky, HSS, Neckthrough, Bound Neck and head.

Sounds like an SL1 to me.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

So this SL1 has the hard shell case, but is in worse condition than my RR3.
        Would it be worth it to trade if he decides he wants to trade?
        I really like my RR3, the sound and feel of the neck is great, but the V shape doesn't agree with me....

He just sent me some pictures of the 2 worst damage spots. The one on the headstock looks ugly...

So what do you guys think?

Last edited by DalyTek; 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Ugh! Either its been dipped in a swimming pool or someone tried to EAT it! Any other nasty surprises?
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            Ugh! Either its been dipped in a swimming pool or someone tried to EAT it! Any other nasty surprises?

"Hmmm, I'm hungry, but there's nothing in the fridge...oh hey, here's my expensive USA Jackson guitar...nom nom nom nom"

:ROTF:
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Agreed. That's some nasty damage.

If the middle pickup was in it, I'd say for sure. But seeing that damage I am not sure I could justify having to add a pickup and deal with that damage.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Assuming the fretwear is OK and the trussrod works then personally, yes, I'd trade an RR3 for it. The body damage won't be visible when it's being played and while the head looks nasty, I imagine that it wouldn't cost a fortune to sort out. Worst case, stick some duct tape to hold your pics up there and the issue will be hidden..

To my mind, that's a much better guitar than an RR3, plus, you said that you don't like the Rhoads shape.
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Also...ummmm did anyone else notice the trem on it? It's not original...At this point...its a tough choice...if you want a real player that completely shreds then the soloist is good, but the value and looks is pretty much down the crapper.

Comment

Yes, he told me that it has a Floyd Rose Pro.
                    He also said the neck is good and the frets have lots of life left in them.
                    He said the last few frets have also been scalloped.
                    He said the wiring needs redone, but cavity is completely shielded.
                    Neck pickup is unknown, bridge pickup is a Dimarzio PAF. (have no idea what that sounds like.)

The RR3 is the best quality guitar I have ever owned. I'm not looking for resale value, but something that will play good and have good build quality, with better comfort than the RR3 has.
                    I have always liked the Lightning Sky graphic too.
                    Basically I want something to play, and something to be PROUD to play!
                    To be honest, this may be my only chance to actually get a USA Jackson, which is something I'd really love to have!!
                    Last edited by DalyTek; 08-21-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Man, I don't know what your RR3 is worth but I wouldn't give more than $500 for that Soloist. :dunno:

Comment

He is asking $350 for the Soloist. I am attempting to ask the same for my RR3 in an attempt to get the cash together before the Soloist is gone.
                        I wish I just had the cash, then I would just buy the SL1 and could work on selling the RR3 later...

Comment

Well, if you can save up abit if/after you get the guitar, you can always contact mike learn or any other person that refinishes guitars, probably at the loss of the MOP Logo but it's only a logo so not too much, could be worse.
                          Gear

Jackson DXMG
                          Jackson JS30RR
                          Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                          Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                          Blackstar HT5H
                          Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                          Marshall JCM 800 2203
                          Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

As long as it's functionally OK, and you're OK with either having a "function over form" guitar or putting some $ into it, then $350 seems reasonable.

Comment

I'd avoid this wreck.

Comment

Working...
                              X