Jackson Series , Im confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Series , Im confused!

Im thinking about buying a jackson at the moment i have seen their web site etc. i have noticed there are different series like x, mg, pro etc do these series mean a better quality or is it just a matter of shape etc.? i know that bc.rich guitars have diff series according to quality like the bronze platinum etc. is it the same with the jackson series and if so can u tell me which series are the best quality ones .
    Thanx!!!

Re: Jackson Series , Im confused!

Yes they are divided into quality-based levels;
    S=bottom/beginner
    X=second from bottom/beginner to intermediate player
    MG=same as X but with EMG HZ pickups
    Pro=Primarily for the working musician who wants a good reliable touring guitar but isn't quite ready for the record deals and world tours
    USA=Top of the line
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You know, I don't quite understand the difference between some of the lines.

I own a DX10D, a DXMG as well as a DK-2. ( and a DK-1 but thats not at issue here)

They are all made in Japan, and the all pretty much seem to be the same quality.

The DX10D has the same hardware as the DK-2, except for the trem, and non logo tuners.

The DXMG is built the same way as the DK-2, has the same 580LP trem, bound neck ect.

It's actually cooler cause of the black hardware and reverse bound neck (in my opinion)

The difference between 2nd and 3rd tier sure seems very slight. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ July 02, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

I believe the first of the X series, the DXMG, was made in Japan. Later, it went to India with the rest of the X series, then they moved production on all X series models back to Japan, because there were some QC issues with a lot of the Indian made models not being up to par.
        Also, I think the older DXMG models had the JT500 trem, then they changed it to the better JT580LP.

[ July 02, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ok tanx 4 d help guys ...... i was thinking about geting the dx10D (x series) because i liked the reverse headstock etc and it is mostly in my price range i have at home a pair of emg 85/81 set and an afterberner that i would put on it ....... but as u said the pro series is better would it make more sense to spend abit more (not much) and get the ke3? i would then put the pickups on that if so would it then be a better quality guitar i noticed the specifications of the ke3 and dx10d are basicaly the same so i dont know maybe the pro are made sumwhere else, if not where would b the higher quality u mentioned between the series regarding these 2 guitars since there specs. are the same? tanx.

Comment

Well, except for the XTRR [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Ok, ok, except the XTRR - but those are kinda scarce [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Be aware though, I`ve had through my workshop, a couple of DK-2`s and a KE-3 which were made in India!!! The quality was terrible, cheaper materials and necks that did not fit the neck pockets correctly. I must say that since it`s inception, I`ve never seen an Indian DXMG....they`ve all been Japanese. Also, in my opinion, the MG series is as good as the Pro series. It`s just cosmetics and Pickups which differ. I just wish though that for a small amount extra, Jackson should use the JT 590 (Schaller Floyd II) on most models as the metalwork on the JT 590 is far superior to the JT 580`s.
                Steve.

Comment

Hmmm. How are the Indian DK2/KE3 identified?

Newc

Comment

The Jackson logo is slightly different, a bit blurred actually. Also, the made in India sticker gives it away!!!!!! (and dodgy quality!!!!)
                    Steve

Comment

No such thing as an Indian DK2/KE3. Each had a similar counterpart, but not that exact model. I can't remember the lookalike of the DK2, but the KE3 equivalent was the KX10/D.

You want to be careful when looking for X series guitars that you don't get one made in India. You can tell via the serial number. A Japanese made guitar will have a seven digit serial, the Indians will have eight. The Indian made X series also had JT500 (closer to an OFR) tremolos while the Japanese had JT580LP (A low profile design that looks completely different).

2Loud2Old: The differences are damned easy to spot. Binding, pickups, electronics. The DX10D has two Duncan Design humbuckers, the DK2 has a hum and two sings all Duncan Design, the DXMG has two EMG-HZ's with an Afterburner. The hardware color, reversed headstock, and the price. Quite a few differences, actually.

Toejam: All X series production began in India. Reid (one of my former coworkers) pulled the pickups out of the prototype to put into a guitar for Pat Lachman. An EMG 81/85 combo in an Indian guitar! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] There were a LOT of QC issues with the Indian DXMG's. In the couple of hundred or so I saw, almost every one of them had s**tty fretwork and a horrible finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:

2Loud2Old: The differences are damned easy to spot. Binding, pickups, electronics. The DX10D has two Duncan Design humbuckers, the DK2 has a hum and two sings all Duncan Design, the DXMG has two EMG-HZ's with an Afterburner. The hardware color, reversed headstock, and the price. Quite a few differences, actually.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have an "afterburner", just 2 knobs and a 3 way switch, BTW.

I know about the obvious differences. It still seems that other than electronics and pickups.. the DXMG in particular should be equal in price to the DK-2

The only thing I can figure is the EMG's must be cheaper.

And perhaps that "Indian Quality" stigma has carried over to the Japan line?!?

I have a 2002, came with a "Made in Japan" gold sticker.

From a construction point of view, the neck seems exactly the same as the DK, frets look the same, inlays, binding.. other than the Headstock of course.

Even though the hardware is black, they are the same tuners in size, shape ect, same exact trem, bla..bla..

There's nothing that I can readily identify, that makes the DXMG a lesser guitar.. yet it is lumped into the "cheaper" -X series.. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

[ July 03, 2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Should almost be called a DK-2R, eh? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The KE3 was/is made in Japan. All the "3+ numbered" models (KV3, KV4, RR3, RR5, KE3, SL3, SL4, PC3) are made in Japan. All the "1 & 2" numbered models (SL1, SL2, KE1, KE2, KV1, KV2, RR1, RR2, PC1, WR1) are made in America. All the "Pro" and "Professional" labeled models are made in Japan. All the X and MG models (DX10, DXMG, WRX, KX10D, WRMG, KVX10) are made in Japan.

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              Should almost be called a DK-2R, eh? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm dissapointed, figured you have a pic for that statement [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Are you trying to say: Shut up an just play yer guitar!" ?!? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh wait.. I know why its "cheaper" it's made of that damm crappy ass poplar! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Just tryin to bring a little respect to da "X-series" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ July 04, 2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Working...
                              X