Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectible Value?

Hi All,

Ran into my old flame (bet wife doesnt even know bout her): late 80's CJ and wanted some feedback as to the model. Never had a book or model info, actually wondered if it was custom but doubt it.

Since it's not USA (may recall Korea sticker :think, not sure of the collectible nature of it. I am consolidating some instruments and considering my options for this, any info helpful on this one. 24 fret, neck-thru, humbuck/single coil neck, Firecrackle paint; gave like $900 back in the day (must have been list price). This may have more memories in it than dollars out. Thanks for any information and thoughts. having trouble loading pics on here - pics:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Last edited by howboutit; 08-27-2010, 11:09 AM.

Model wise I'm going to GUESS '88-'89 Charvel Model 5XL? If so, Made in Japan, not Korea.

If it's in good condition maybe $600 with the case, and the crackle finish?

I'm just speculating completely, this is in no way an actual date/model/price, just my guess.

Comment

Mat's very close. '88 Model 5FX. Those are great playing guitars that hang very well with axes that cost twice as much. Don't worry about collector value on the imports. They're just great bang-for-the-buck guitars that are meant to be played hard & enjoyed. Even the highly sought after ones like the Model 88 and 750XL still haven't kept up with inflation compared to their original price.

Comment

I'd LOVE a firecrackle, but a Model 5 I'd have a hard time parting with 6 bills to purchase. If it was a Model 6 I'd say yes. Model 5? $450 to $500 max for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          Mat's very close. '88 Model 5FX. Those are great playing guitars that hang very well with axes that cost twice as much. Don't worry about collector value on the imports. They're just great bang-for-the-buck guitars that are meant to be played hard & enjoyed. Even the highly sought after ones like the Model 88 and 750XL still haven't kept up with inflation compared to their original price.
          I'm learning

Comment

Well, learn first, then post!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Well, learn first, then post!
              I was close, I just mismatched a letter

Comment

I know, just bustin' your balls...now how about cleaning up that sloppy motto / sig line?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You know, the market is getting to where for GOOD CLEAN guitars, it's getting very close to:

Model 3: $300
                  Model 4: $400
                  Model 5: $500
                  Model 6: $600
                  Model 750XL: $750

The 750's can go higher though.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your info and thoughts - listed this locally for $525 and have got some action. Otherwise, may go to ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by howboutit View Post
                      Thanks to everyone for your info and thoughts - listed this locally for $525 and have got some action. Otherwise, may go to ebay.
                      ...and that's your old flame? Are we gonna see your wife on eBay next?
                      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                      X